Slowcooker cooked whole potato recipe as follows

onekiwigirl, Feb 18, 1:45am
Baking potatoes is another use for your slow cooker that you may not have considered. It can, on occasion, be very handy to fill it up with foil wrapped potatoes (NO liquid) in the morning, then return to the kitchen hours later to find them ready and waiting! They turn out just like Hungi cooked potatoes!

Essentially, all you need are potatoes, foil and a slow cooker - quantities are dictated by the number of servings required and/or the size of your slow cooker. Scrub the potatoes (this works best with potatoes labelled 'suitable for baking' on the bag). Wrap each one in foil (to stop them drying out), and arrange them in the cooker. Put on the lid, turn the slow cooker on to LOW, and in 6-8 hours you will have delicious baked potatoes! Serve with butter and/or sour cream as a side dish, or 'stuff' them with a more elaborate filling (baked beans and grated cheese, leftover mince mixtures etc.,) to serve as a main.

NOTE: Sometimes potatoes that are pressed against the sides of the cooker bowl can brown a bit. To prevent this, you may want to turn or rearrange them after 4-5 hours, if you're passing. Larger potatoes take longer to cook all the way through, so for best results, select potatoes of similar size. Remember there is no liquid required in the bowl at all!

It works so have a go!

nzhel, Feb 18, 3:19am
Good idea onkiwigirl - I think Alison Holst has very similar recipe in one of her books tho I haven't tried it.

onekiwigirl, Feb 18, 3:52am
Yes it is one of hers!

alebix, Feb 18, 8:49am
yum...

But wouldnt it wreck the crock part of the dish with nothing wet in it?

Just invisioning it cracking from the heat...

onekiwigirl, Feb 18, 9:07am
That is what I thought initially but I have done this many times, you just do one layer of potatoes wrapped in foil, they do not even need to be touching each other and it is quite safe, the bowl doesn't crack. Just do not put cold water into it when it is hot to clean it out or it will crack!And remember it is on low!

uli, Feb 19, 12:42am
It is something most manufacturers actually warn about! I guess if you have potatoes there is at least something in the bowl - worse are the recipes where you heat the crock empty, then put a tripod in and a baking dish. I would not do that myself.

onekiwigirl, Feb 19, 1:18am
That is why I have said you should place as many potatoes as you can on the bottom of the bowl and you should have no worries at all.

g1bo, Feb 20, 10:20pm
onekiwigirl, do you have a recipie for golden syrup pudding that I have had at a hangi?It gets baked in those big tins that the peaches come in and it is so nice, even my kiddies like it.I would love to try and make it.I guess that could be made in the crockpot too?

onekiwigirl, Feb 21, 12:31am
No not in my collection sorry, suggest looking on line.

onekiwigirl, Feb 21, 1:27am
I just happen to look at the back of my slowcooker book and found some photo copies of recipes for slowcookers from the NZ Crockpot book and here is a Butterscotch pudding you might like from it.

Butterscotch Pudding

Serves 4
High: 2 1/2 to 3 hrs
Simple and inexpensive to make, this pudding seems to appeal particularly to teenagers.

11/2 cups self raising flour
114 cup sugar
2 Tbsp melted butter
3/4 cup milk

Sauce
4 Tbsp golden syrup
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup boiling water

Pre-heat crockpot for 20 minutes.

1. Sift flour and sugar into mixing bowl.

2. Combine melted butter and milk and add to the dry ingredients. Stir until
mixture is well blended. Spoon into casserole dish (6-cup capacity).

3. Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and stir until the butter is
melted. Pour gently over the pudding mixture.

4. Place casserole dish on a trivet or preserving jar ring in the crockpot. Do
not cover the dish or pour water around it.

5. Cover the crockpot with lid and cook on high for 21/2-3 hours.

onekiwigirl, Feb 21, 1:33am
Here is another from the NZ Crockpot Book, only thing is I do not know what baking mix is?

Fresh Peach Cobbler

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup baking mix
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (150 mL) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 large, ripe peaches, mashed

• Prepare slow cooker with vegetable cooking spray. In large bowl, combine sugar and baking mix, stir in eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk and butter and mix well.

• Fold in peaches and pour into slow cooker and stir well.

• Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on
HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

• Serve warm with peach ice cream.

g1bo, Feb 21, 8:29pm
Thanks so much, I think Alison Holst has a "baking mix" or used to. Sounds yum