Wild Duck recipes

Page 2 / 4
lizab, May 3, 9:12pm
I wish my husband could remove the shot from the ducks ... many a year I have found them sitting at the bottom of the toilet bowl!!! lol
Edited to add: Chew very carefully! My kids used to love finding shot though ... 'I found a bullet' they'd cry!!

mackenzie2, May 3, 10:44pm
I stuff them with a basic bread/onion/mixed herb/milk stuffing and put them into an oven bag, and pour plum sauce over about 1/3 of a cup, then slow roast.

beaker59, May 3, 11:29pm
Not so much fun with steel shot and its always the wife who finds it in the bunnies I usually shoot.

chooky, May 3, 11:39pm
Good Luck all you guys this weekend.We have a traditional roast duck meal on saturday night, ours dont get a chance to hang.We roast in oven bags, very very, 150 oven for about 3 hours.Tryed all sorts of stuffings, like normal stuffing with apricots cut up and added, normal stuffing but I add plum sauce and thats yummy.We also do the sausage thing as well.

rainrain1, May 3, 11:46pm
Warp in tinfoil ha ha :-)sounds good eh!

rainrain1, May 4, 2:29am
You miss a bit of tinfoil and yet you're off to shoot ducks!Bet you miss :-)

lizab, May 4, 9:12pm
I wish my husband could remove the shot from the ducks . many a year I have found them sitting at the bottom of the toilet bowl! lol
Edited to add: Chew very carefully! My kids used to love finding shot though . 'I found a bullet' they'd cry!

lindylambchops1, May 8, 10:02am
OMG!I so need hubby to shoot some ducks!My mouth is watering!

beaker59, May 8, 10:49am
Just got home from my first duck hunting weekend wow! its cool fun sitting in a Maimai waiting for the ducks to come in very exciting I got 3 to bring home 2 Mallards and a Parry I have drawn them sorry pennybikes couldn't face hanging undrawn. But will leave them in the fridge til Wed before roasting.
Also got 2 rabbits and a young goat got them hanging ready for final prep tomorrow.

Well I am a beginner so I suppose 3 ducks isn't so bad if I could actually hit them reliably I would have got my limit but its a start EH! :)

beaker59, May 9, 10:49am
Just got home from my first duck hunting weekend wow! its cool fun sitting in a Maimai waiting for the ducks to come in very exciting I got 3 to bring home 2 Mallards and a Parry I have drawn them sorry pennybikes couldn't face hanging undrawn. But will leave them in the fridge til Wed before roasting.
Also got 2 rabbits and a young goat got them hanging ready for final prep tomorrow.

Well I am a beginner so I suppose 3 ducks isn't so bad if I could actually hit them reliably I would have got my limit but its a start EH! :)

jellybeanbee04, May 10, 10:19am
Dad had loads of domestic ducks (down to two now lol). He skinned them, sounds odd, but basically skinned them instead of plucking. So much quicker and WAY less hassle. Whenever they get cooked up there not the nicest though, went a conference and had duck for tea and it was gorgeous so keen to try cooking one another time and see if it turns out nicely or not.

beaker59, May 10, 8:56pm
Without the skin wouldn't they dry out too much when roasted, the breasts would be good for fast frying though I would think. I am going to roast two for dinner tonight so will see how it turns out :)

beaker59, May 11, 3:51am
OK just put the two ducks on I coated them in oil and stuffed them with two chopped apples two large tsp of home made plum jam a chopped bunch of sage and rosemary 2 crushed garlic cloves a large pinch each of 5 spice and dried ginger and about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs(made from my own homemade bread and a slosh of olive oil and soy sauce From my research I will try 2 hours at 150deg fanbake in my covered roasting dish maybe taking the lid off later to crisp up a bit. Here's hoping the recipe is a mix of what I have found on the net and adaption to what I have available completely untried so I will report back :)

chooky, May 11, 4:10am
beaker59, what times tea, that sounds lovely. We had roast duck sat night, it was yum. Roasted four so there was enough for sandwiches the next day. 2 in freezer, 2 went back to auck with the nephew, 4 got debreasted for our sausages.

beaker59, May 11, 4:14am
Dinner about 6ish would do more but its only to feed two adults and a child and I only got the 3 ducks in the weekend the third I am going to withhold to try something different with.

buzzy110, May 11, 7:23am
Enjoy your dinner beaker. It sounds wonderful, especially on a wet and stormy night like tonight.

beaker59, May 11, 8:14am
Thanks Buzzi, well it was nice the stuffing was spectacular the duck was a tad overdone I thought and a little dry though with the gravy generally nice not allot of meat so I needed a whole duck to myself my wife had the breast meat off one but she won't eat off the bone so I may have to come up with another way of doing hers.

beaker59, May 11, 8:56pm
Without the skin wouldn't they dry out too much when roasted, the breasts would be good for fast frying though I would think. I am going to roast two for dinner tonight so will see how it turns out :)

beaker59, May 12, 3:51am
OK just put the two ducks on I coated them in oil and stuffed them with two chopped apples two large tsp of home made plum jam a chopped bunch of sage and rosemary 2 crushed garlic cloves a large pinch each of 5 spice and dried ginger and about 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs(made from my own homemade bread and a slosh of olive oil and soy sauce From my research I will try 2 hours at 150deg fanbake in my covered roasting dish maybe taking the lid off later to crisp up a bit. Here's hoping the recipe is a mix of what I have found on the net and adaption to what I have available completely untried so I will report back :)

nico32, May 12, 4:32am
roast slowly (6 hours or so on about 80-100 c)then break meat off bone and add to:
sauce: 1/3 jar apricot jam, 2 tablespoons of black sauce, 2 of soy and 3-4 of chilli sauce
serve with rice,
is yum,

buzzy110, May 12, 4:59am
When I buy duck, I always get the butcher to dissect it for me. He cuts off the breasts. Then the thigh and leg but leaves those intact. He also cuts off the wings. I boil up the carcass with stock vegetables then reserve the stock and throw the rest away.

Next I brown the thighs, legs and wings and place in a casserole. From there it is only up to your imagination what you put in your casserole, along with the stock. I quite like lime zest, fresh ginger, tamari, garlic, leeks, onion and celery. I'd use chilli too if I was allowed. Maybe with wild duck, some sort of tart fruit or even preserved lemon wouldn't go amiss, and cook in the oven for an hour. Then you go ahead and do sauce stuff with the resulting casserole stock.

I gently pan fry the breasts in duck fat for about 10-12mins, slice and then attractively plate up. I think the breasts shouldn't be cooked as long as the rest of the duck.

This is for a farmed duck, but the theory should be the same for wild I think.

beaker59, May 12, 8:14am
Thanks Buzzi, well it was nice the stuffing was spectacular the duck was a tad overdone I thought and a little dry though with the gravy generally nice not allot of meat so I needed a whole duck to myself my wife had the breast meat off one but she won't eat off the bone so I may have to come up with another way of doing hers.

204savage, May 12, 10:57am
Stupid question that Im asking but how much does wild duck as opposed to duck that you buy from Thai restraunts differ? I imagine they would be alot more gamey in flavor, I know venison does and to compare wild venison to farmed is an insult,there is no comparison. I'm quite keen to give duck shooting a go,would you recomend it as a whole?Im not keen to spend hundreds on a mai mai and thousands of decoys and what not. How productive is Pond stalking by comparison to Mai Mai or Mai Mai style duck shooting?I'm really only prepared to buy a semi Stoeger for the shotty and an extra 400 for decoys,would this cut the mustard?

buzzy110, May 13, 4:59am
When I buy duck, I always get the butcher to dissect it for me. He cuts off the breasts. Then the thigh and leg but leaves those intact. He also cuts off the wings. I boil up the carcass with stock vegetables then reserve the stock and throw the rest away.

Next I brown the thighs, legs and wings and place in a casserole. From there it is only up to your imagination what you put in your casserole, along with the stock. I quite like lime zest, fresh ginger, tamari, garlic, leeks, onion and celery. I'd use chilli too if I was allowed. Maybe with wild duck, some sort of tart fruit or even preserved lemon wouldn't go amiss, and cook in the oven for an hour. Then you go ahead and do sauce stuff with the resulting casserole stock.

I gently pan fry the breasts in duck fat for about 10-12mins, slice and then attractively plate up. I think the breasts shouldn't be cooked as long as the rest of the duck.

This is for a farmed duck, but the theory should be the same for wild I think.

malta, May 13, 7:11am
you dont want to spend hundreds?? find another hobby mate. Amo alone in a season will cost you hundreds