Batter for fish???

Page 2 / 2
raewyn64, May 4, 8:36am
gosh whypeata usually it is me asking the questions on this message board - feeling very proud someone has a question for me lol.

Anyway I guess it would do oysters - I don't eat them so don't do anything with them.
But what I did was mixed 1 cup plain flowr with 1.5tsp baking powder and 1 tsp of brown vinegar and then water until it became the right consistancy where it dripped off the spoon.
I heated my frypan with about 3-5mm depth of oil in it - I just used cooking oil nothing fancy. Then dipped the pieces of fish into flour and then into the batter then frypan. Probably left it for about 3 or so minutes then flipped it over and cooked the other side. The batter fluffs up and spreads a bit due to the baking powder.
I had to top up the oil in the frypan a couple of times and also watched the consistancy of the batter and thin in a bit if need be with some more water.
That was it - just watch also the heat of the frypan, if the batter is burning before the fish is cooked then turn the heat down a bit. I then had the oven on and put the cooked fish in there as I was doing the next batch of fish in the pan.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

whypeata, May 4, 9:44am
Hey thanks raewyn64 . well just whipped up the oysters and I must say YUM YUMit is just so crispy and think it will be devine with fish.my only question is what am I doing wrong. (this is not criticism just a question with regard to a problem I often get with fish batters). I felt it was rather greasy and soaked up all the oil.is there a secret to this do you know.Im thinking is it it the oil temperature!

raewyn64, May 4, 7:59pm
I am by no means an expert cook in any way so not probably the right person to help you, but I would suggest as soon as you take them out of the frypan put them on to some layers of paper towels and maybe that will soak up the oil that is sitting in the batter - whereas if you just put them in a dish in the oven to keep warm like I do the oil will continue to sit in the batter! you could also try using less oil and see how it goes. Also I cut up my fish into more nugget size so I get about 4 pieces in my frypan at one time so the oil sort of gets spread around.
Just some ideas for you to try!
But I am pleased it came out ok for you.