Secret ingredient today...rice & Potato flour

goldgurl, Jan 28, 4:30am
thought I'd be adventuerous and buy these yesterday from the Indian store... don't know what I'm gonna make with them though LOL

goldgurl, Jan 28, 6:33pm
bump please... no luck with the 'search' feature...

frances1266, Jan 28, 6:38pm
Both of these flours are usually used in gluten free cookery.
Suggest you check gluten free thread or sites.
Rice flour is used in shortbread or as a coating or batter.

goldgurl, Jan 28, 7:01pm
ahh... thank you very much :)

malcovy, Jan 28, 7:36pm
Rice flour plus other flavourings makes a great coating for fried chicken and potato flour can be used a thickener with sauces.

cap, Jan 29, 1:36am
You can make yummy dosas with the rice flour.

malcovy, Jan 29, 7:47pm
I don't know what I was thinking when I posted about rice flour being a great coating, I was meaning sorghum flour not rice flour.

davidt4, Jan 29, 8:37pm
Rice-Potato Dosas

1 c crumbled cooked potato
1 c rice flour
½ c yoghurt
1 tsp salt
1 c coriander leaves & stems finely chopped
2 green cayenne chillies finely chopped
2 c tepid water
1/4c veg oil

In processer mix potato & flour until even mealy texture. Add yoghurt, chillies & coriander and mix. With motor running pour in water to make thin batter.

Cook in large non-stick pan: 1 tsp oil per 1/4c batter to make 4” dosas.

raewyn64, Jan 29, 11:04pm
I just googled Dosas as I have nver heard of them and got varying images of them. They appear to be like a pancake is that right? And you are just flavouring them instead of/or in addition to filling them with some items?
Am I on the right track?

davidt4, Jan 29, 11:42pm
Yes, dosa are a thin pancake sort of thing and are usually filled with potato curry and served with a fresh coconut chutney.

The two recipes above are not the traditional South Indian dosa, which are made from rice and lentils and are quite difficult to get right (they need to be extremely thin), but they are easier to make and can be filled in the same way of with other spiced fillings.

goldgurl, Jan 29, 11:48pm
Oh YUMMY Davidt! !

We love eating roti/naan style bread 'things'here - kids especially! ! Thank yous o much for sharing your recipes, sooo much easier than rolling out dough! !

raewyn64, Jan 30, 12:43am
thanks vor that - I think I shall give it a shot. I amabout to make some plum chutney this weekend so it might even be something to eat with them - hmmm maybe

davidt4, Jan 30, 2:33am
The fresh chutney I mentioned is not a cooked chutney, it is a fresh Indian chutney made from freshly grated coconut, onion, coriander and mint.

NZ-style fruit chutneys would not really be suitable for dosa.

raewyn64, Jan 30, 2:36am
Ah thanks for that - I have a lot to learn but as long as I learn something new each day I will be happy :)

guest, Mar 22, 3:50am
Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and strtiang an alternative initiative in a community inside same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have executed a marvellous job!