Food dehydrators - Are they worth it? What Brand?

owene, Mar 4, 9:48pm
Hi, having just bought a near-new Sunbeam, can someone advise a few points. Specifically I want to dry tomatoes.

1. How thick should these be cut!
2. Should I sprinkle salt on the slices!
3. How dry should I get the slices and how should they be stored once dried! - freeze! put in avocado oil!

playfair, Apr 10, 2:58am
For those who have purchased a food dehydrator, please share your thoughts about them - What sort of food - only fruit? can you dry?

Are they easy to use, clean? Are Sunbeam dehydrators worth the money?

I've been thinking of buying one...want to hear about peoples experiences first!

jag5, Apr 10, 4:29am
Don't bother with Sunbeam unless it is to dry herbs or flowers.Just not grunty enough for other things.Got rid of mine and bought an Ezi Dry - Harvest Maid.Brilliant.I dry tomatoes...(lots of them) chilies, garlic, carrots, courgettes, swedes, apples, whatever I have going that has moisture that can be dried.Brilliant machines.

fogs, Apr 10, 11:09am
I have a sunbeam one and have used it constantly. I dry fruit - strawberries and other berry fruit, kiwifruit,peaches,apples. I also dry heaps of mushrooms- buy when on special and dry to use later.Beans peas tomatoes onions, I also dry fresh herbs to use during the winter. It is my most used appliane and it really does save me heaps of money and freezer space

cookessentials, Apr 10, 7:11pm
Ez-Dry all the way, the ony one that does a decent job. Available from Hydraflow Industries. Google them, you can buy from them online

jan2242, Apr 10, 10:04pm
I have an old Harvest maid and is brilliant. I dry anything basically. All fruits and many vegetables. Dry onions to make onion powder etc. I dried loads of cabbage when it was cheap so i can just add a few spoonfuls to stews, soups etc for flavour.

cookessentials, Apr 10, 10:56pm
http://www.hydraflow.co.nz/ezidri.htmlthe ezi dry is what was once the harvestmaid

playfair, Apr 11, 2:08am
Is it powerful? I've heard/read that Sunbeam dehydrators are not powerful enough...but obviously you use your one all the time!?

playfair, Apr 11, 2:58am
For those who have purchased a food dehydrator, please share your thoughts about them - What sort of food - only fruit! can you dry!

Are they easy to use, clean! Are Sunbeam dehydrators worth the money!

I've been thinking of buying one.want to hear about peoples experiences first!

jag5, Apr 11, 4:29am
Don't bother with Sunbeam unless it is to dry herbs or flowers.Just not grunty enough for other things.Got rid of mine and bought an Ezi Dry - Harvest Maid.Brilliant.I dry tomatoes.(lots of them) chilies, garlic, carrots, courgettes, swedes, apples, whatever I have going that has moisture that can be dried.Brilliant machines.

newbat, Apr 11, 6:57am
harvestmaid I have two one is 21 yrs old not quite as good as it once was but I still use it heaps. 21 yrs of cheap roll ups dried tomatoes etc...I would totally recommend. Have a friend who bought a sunbeam it seemed to work well for her.She made awesome banana roll up, no discolouration at all, so I would be reluctant to say they were no good, although they are smaller. (easier to wash though as the trays fit into the sink!

elliehen, Apr 11, 7:10am
I wonder how easy it is to dehydrate in a conventional oven on very low heat.Anyone do this?

newbat, Apr 11, 7:52am
have not done it myself but my ex MIL used to make quince paste that way. I have used the hot water cupboard for mushrooms and herbs tho. Works well at no extra cost!!!

horizons_, Apr 11, 9:46pm
I've had a harvestmaid, and sold it as found the warming drawer roomier and just as effective. Now I use the sun. No cleaning fiddly pieces of plastic, no cost to run, and no limit on how much I can dry at any one time.

playfair, Apr 12, 2:08am
Is it powerful! I've heard/read that Sunbeam dehydrators are not powerful enough.but obviously you use your one all the time!!

newbat, Apr 12, 6:57am
harvestmaid I have two one is 21 yrs old not quite as good as it once was but I still use it heaps. 21 yrs of cheap roll ups dried tomatoes etc.I would totally recommend. Have a friend who bought a sunbeam it seemed to work well for her.She made awesome banana roll up, no discolouration at all, so I would be reluctant to say they were no good, although they are smaller. (easier to wash though as the trays fit into the sink!

elliehen, Apr 12, 7:10am
I wonder how easy it is to dehydrate in a conventional oven on very low heat.Anyone do this!

newbat, Apr 12, 7:52am
have not done it myself but my ex MIL used to make quince paste that way. I have used the hot water cupboard for mushrooms and herbs tho. Works well at no extra cost!

horizons_, Apr 12, 9:46pm
I've had a harvestmaid, and sold it as found the warming drawer roomier and just as effective. Now I use the sun. No cleaning fiddly pieces of plastic, no cost to run, and no limit on how much I can dry at any one time.