Page 2 / 3
cheese-mike, Mar 29, 2:59am
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
cherry anything
Apple pie
Anything with peanut butter and chocolate

shazzie10, Mar 29, 9:21am
I think we should forget about the murder mystery and just eat dessert all night!I think I will need to make red velvet cake as it seems to be popular. Thanks litedelites for taking time to find the recipes.I could never understand the Americans and their love of peanut butter candies (for a lack of a better word).I only found one relative who liked the peanut butter stuff I bought back, everyone preferred theirs on a piece of toast.You are an awesome bunch of foodies... :) Thanks again...

shazzie10, Mar 27, 11:18pm
We are having a murder mystery evening this weekend with an "Southern American bar theme".We are having a BBQ for the main(I am hoping we will have ribs as I love ribs - especially Tony Romas).What I am struggling with is what to have for desserts! I am aware of NY Cheesecake but what else!When I have been to the States, I have always been "stuck" on the chocolate cake so didn't really notice other desserts. Appreciate any input. thank you.P.S. And also where I can find the recipes. Thanks again.

sarahj1, Mar 27, 11:21pm
Google Paula Dean and use any of her recipes- she's a good ol' gal southern cook from the Food Network - her recipes are usually extremely decadent and bad for you, as the best southern cooking should be!

sarahj1, Mar 27, 11:24pm
Red velvet cake would be good - easy and can be done ahead of time
Or pecan pie!

shazzie10, Mar 27, 11:25pm
Thank you Sarahj1. I had actually spent 30 minutes on google but wasn't making much progress so decided to ask here because there are so many wonderful experienced cooks here. Will check her out.Much appreciated. Have a super day.

nova40, Mar 27, 11:43pm
I love this recipe and it is so easy and yummy, I have been asked for this recipe many times.

Ingredients
Base
250 sweet biscuits, crushed
125 g butter, melted

Filling
250 g cream cheese
440 g condensed milk
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
¼ cup lemon juice.

Meringue
2 egg whites
½ cup caster sugar.

Method
Base: Combine biscuit crumbs and butter and press firmly into base of a springform tin. Refrigerate until firm.
Filling: Beat cheese until smooth, add in condensed milk, lemon rind, lemon juice, and egg yolks and beat until smooth. Pour over base and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours or until firm to touch.
Meringue: Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until dissolved.
Spread evenly over filling.
Bake in hot oven for 10 minutes until meringue browns.
Allow to cool, then refrigerate until required.

Recipe notes
Use slightly green lemons for this dessert, as it helps mixture to set firmly. Can be made a day ahead.

nova40, Mar 27, 11:48pm
This one is very nice and alot easier. and a winner!

LEMON MERINGUE PIE

180gm Plain Biscuits (Vanilla Wine, Nice)
90gm Butter
1 x can Condensed Milk
½ Cup Lemon Juice
3 Eggs – Seperated
½ Cup Castor Sugar

Combine crushed biscuits and melted butter, press into greased flan pie tin refrigerate.Blend condensed milk and lemon juice add lightly beaten egg yolks and combine well.Pour over Biscuit base and (Bake in oven for 20 mins. at 145 degrees).

Beat egg whites until stiff, then gradually beat in castor sugar when thick spoon onto pie filling and bake in a preheated oven 160 degrees for 10-15 minutes until Meringue is golden brown.

jimbob37, Mar 28, 2:02am
Pumpkin pie!Apple pie!

fisher, Mar 28, 2:29am
Sweet Pumpkin Pie.Preheat the oven to 165°C
You MUST "steam" your pumpkin and then mash to a pulp.Blind bake short crust pastry in a round pie dish.In a bowl beat two eggs and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Add a 1/2 tsp of allspice.1/2 tsp of cinnamon.1/4 tsp of ground ginger.1/4 tsp of ground cloves.2 tbsp of orange juice.zest of the orange.
Mix all together with the pumpkin pulp.Pour into cooked pastry base, spread out and place in pre heated oven for approx 40 mins.

elliehen, Mar 28, 4:36am
Americans love their pies.served in ENORMOUS wedges.I'd go with fisher's Pumpkin Pie.

shazzie10, Mar 28, 7:18am
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.Haven't heard of red velvet cake and a few other interesting ones, so will check these out.Thanks again for your generosity.

waswoods, Mar 28, 7:23am
Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing is actually very easy. Don't be put off by the large amount of red food colouring required

rosathemad, Mar 28, 9:28am
Red velvet cake is not just American but very Southern US. It's a lightly flavoured cocoa cake, and came about because the way the cocoa used to be processed caused the mixture to turn red - a reaction with the buttermilk. It is delicious slathered with cream cheese icing - and having it layered will help with the American authenticity too. :-)

bev00, Mar 28, 10:43am
Oooh ah . some yummy desserts worth recycling

olwen, Mar 28, 7:03pm
If you are a really keen cook a little layer cake would be something to try.

http://gastronomyblog.com/2010/01/01/chocolate-little-layer-cake/ or the similar Smith Island cake http://www.smithisland.org/2011/index.php!option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=75

willman, Mar 28, 7:05pm
" Dump Cake ",is a favourite dessert in USA,not sure if in the southern parts.Can make in a crockpot.Google the name - Dump Cake,I have and came up with a number.Easy to make as well.

creeky1, Mar 28, 7:07pm
havin a bbq got to have smores.

cgvl, Mar 28, 8:25pm
peanut butter balls etc,http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/PeanutButterCups.html
made 3 types of these for xmas pressies. All went within minutes, they are yum but as I cant eat them I have to take the comments from those who can.

waswoods, Mar 28, 10:25pm
I didn't have buttermilk when I made it - just used yoghurt and it was fine

rosathemad, Mar 28, 11:46pm
Yoghurt is a good substitute for buttermilk, but that's how the cake came about. :-) I usually curdle milk with a little white vinegar since buttermilk is so expensive. :-)

arielbooks, Mar 29, 12:28am
banoffie pie

threecheers, Mar 29, 12:35am
Kia ora Ya'll
Ditto on the Red Velvet Cake or any kind of PIE!Another crowd pleaser is a Texas Sheath cake.
(I'm making Red Velvet brownies for step-daughters 50th next week!)
A great place to find good Southern recipes is Southern Living Magazines on-line recipes!

elliehen, Mar 29, 12:55am
Have just noticed that Whittaker's is now making a Peanut Butter block.I haven't tried it, but I imagine it will taste like 'Reese's Peanut Butter Cups' or home-made peanut butter balls.

cgvl, Mar 29, 8:10am
hi elliehen mmm I might succumb to that and yes the comment from sis in law was that the peanut buttercups were just like Reese's. I did try one but it was far too sweet for me. She loved them.