Wishing to make jam..

Page 1 / 2
t.gypsy, Jan 6, 11:38pm
What fruit would be the best to start with and what do i need before starting..

davidt4, Jan 6, 11:42pm
Plum jam is pretty well foolproof.Look for recipes and advice by searching this message board.

You will need plums (not too ripe), sugar, jars and lids or cellophane covers.

t.gypsy, Jan 6, 11:48pm
cellophan covers??

davidt4, Jan 6, 11:56pm
They are circles of cellophane that come in packets of about 50 plus rubber bands.They are useful if you don't have lids for the jam jars.There are instructions on the packet.

olwen, Jan 6, 11:58pm
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=267365&name=waugh-jam-covers-cellophane

In the packet is 25 round cellophane covers, a bag with rubber bands, and some labels.You moisten the covers to soften them (dip only one side in a saucer of water) and put on the jam jar while it is warm.Use the rubber bands provided to fasten it.You can get the cover nice and smooth while everything is warm.

t.gypsy, Jan 7, 12:01am
ahhh thanks... the day i make it i hope to have homemade butter and bread to go with it :)

buzzy110, Jan 7, 12:05am
Oh what luxury and don't forget to get some extra cream to whip. I remember with longing the jam and whipped cream filled rolls that we 6th formers used to make and sell at lunch time when it was our turn to run the tuck shop. Plum jam is just so delicious.

Sigh. Sometimes I could be tempted to take a diet holiday and plum jam and fresh bread with lashing of butter is one of those temptations.

t.gypsy, Jan 7, 12:53am
lol buzzy oh yes the cream as well. i will see on that on my mother is getting caught up in it too lol. and enjoys the results i have said to mom if i was able to own a bakery or cafe i will make everything by hand.. and i mean everything or as much as i can..

cookessentials, Jan 7, 1:33am
Raspberry jam is one of the easiest for a beginner.

Raspberry Jam
Raspberry jam is great for beginners as it sets so well and is one of the easiest jams to make. There is nothing like fresh scones with a dollop of home-made raspberry jam and freshly whipped cream!
Ingredients:
1 kg raspberries
1 kg castor sugar
Method:
Rinse the raspberries and shake off excess moisture. Make sure there is no mouldy fruit. Place the fruit in a preserving pan and gradually bring to the boil. Gradually stir in the sugar into the boiling fruit, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until a setting point is reached. Skim away any scum that rises. Allow the bubbles to subside and bottle into hot sterilised jars. Seal and label when cold.

cookessentials, Jan 7, 2:02am
Waugh make the cellophane covers for jam making. They come in a green and red packet. All you do is wet each one in a saucer of water and place over hot jar and seal with a rubber band ( which come in the pack) as the jar cools, they shrink and form a rigid air tight seat...like a bongo drum LOL

cookessentials, Jan 7, 2:03am

t.gypsy, Jan 7, 2:07am
preserving pan is that like any normal pan??

t.gypsy, Jan 7, 2:29am
http://www.chelsea.co.nz/content/Recipes/how-to/step-by-step-jam.aspx

is a good recipe and also the company has a sugar specific for jam making... this good idea or no..

cookessentials, Jan 7, 2:31am
A preserving pan is wider at the top than at the bottom, is stainless steel or copper ( you can get aluminium,but it is reactive to acids, so better with stainless) The shape of the pan is to prevent boil overs, however, I use a stock pot and it works perfectly well. if you make alot of jam and want to invest in a preserving pan, expect to pay around $100 upwards.

t.gypsy, Jan 7, 2:34am
so the pot my mother would use for making stews and soups in the big stock pot be the one i would need to use..

buzzy110, Jan 7, 3:39am
Yes. A preserving pan would be the ideal, but even I, who has the right piece of equipment for just about everything, do not have a preserving pan and I get by nicely. I have a big pot that I use for cooking crayfish in. It is very tall and wide and I sort of almost have to stand on tippy toe to see into it.

The reason for using such a deep pot is to prevent splatter and boil overs which happen frequently with very full, smaller pots. If using just a pot, don't fill it to the brim. 3/4s full at most is best.

My favourite way of sterilising my jars is by boiling so I have a smaller, but still a big pot, of boiling water and as my 'stuff' cooks I put jars in and take them out of the boiling water then I replace them, a pot load at a time and make sure they are boiling when I remove them to put the hot jam in. That way they are the same temperature as the jam and don't crack or shatter.

I didn't know about the cellophane though I've seen it in the jar and preserving section of my local P-n-S all the time. Will get some next time I'm jam making I think. Thanks davidt4.

ro42, Jan 7, 3:46am
Do you know if you can get iron preserving pans? I don't want to use copper or aluminium because of the leaching of the metal into the preserve, but iron would be a good thing!

tedddybear, Jan 7, 4:31am
i have been given 2lbs of plums and wondering if someone has a recipe for jam

ro42, Jan 7, 4:55am
wash the plums and remove stalks.Cut in half but leave the stones in. Make sure any bad bits are cut out.
Put in a pan with about a cup of water, and stew (stirring regularly). When the stones have come loose and the flesh has pulped, you are pretty much ready.
Add sugar - about the same weight as the fruit is the usual suggestion, although I never use that much as I find it too sweet. Stir in well, making sure there is none left in the corners of the pan.
Stirring well to stop it sticking, bring to a rolling boil- you will find that the volume increases considerably, so make sure you have a large pan! And keep stirring so it doesn't stick. You need to get it to 104 degrees.

Once it's reached this temperature, fish out the stones - they are pretty easy to get at this stage.

Meanwhile, wash some jars and lids, then soak them in boiling water. Fish them out of the water with clean tongs and invert them to drain - don't dry them with a cloth as that introduces bacteria.

When the jam has reached setting point, turn off the heat and let it cool a bit, stirring regularly, but bottle while still hot. Fill the jars to the top, and put the lids on immediately. As the jam cools a vacuum will be created helping seal the jars.

lythande1, Jan 7, 5:49pm
What fruit? What kind of jam do you like best? Use that.

t.gypsy, Jan 7, 7:37pm
well lyth mom loves apricot and i love strawberry lol i am thinking of making a jam with both flavours in..

cookessentials, Jan 7, 7:49pm
Tha will be just finr t.gypsy.

t.gypsy, Jan 15, 5:37am
I am going to hopefully be making jam for the first time tommorow we rustled up some old jam jars :).. How does

500g strawberry
250g blueberries and 250g raspberry sound..

helen35, Jan 15, 6:10am
I only had 500g of apricots...so i did it in the microwave...perfect for a few jars of jam
Place 500g chopped apricots & 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in large microwave bowl.Cook on High for 5 mins. ThenI mashed with potato masher& added2 cups of sugar stir welland cook a further 10 mins stirring after 5 mins.
It made 3 small jars.

cgvl, Jan 15, 10:13am
That sounds really nice, like the fruit of the forest one craigs do.