NECTARINE JAM ... how do I

darlingmole, Jan 29, 11:18pm
make this?Is it the same as plum jam with just boiling the water, fruit (complete with stone in) and sugar??Help please because I just bought a box of very ripe nectarines that will need immediate cooking.Thanks in advice all you wonderful people:-)

lx4000, Jan 29, 11:49pm
ROSY NECTARINE JAM

Raspberries add a rosy glow to this tasty jam. There is no need to peel the nectarines.

1kg nectarines, stoned and diced

1 cup raspberries

3 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup lemon juice

Place all the ingredients in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Stir well, then stand for 30 minutes for the sugar to dissolve.

Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes or until it reaches 104C on a jam or candy thermometer or gives a setting test. Skim the froth from the surface as it cooks. Pour into hot sterilised jars to the top, wipe the rims and seal. Makes about 4 cups.

Copyright Jan Bilton

cgvl, Jan 30, 12:10am
I do like all stone fruit (eg apricots). nectarines stoned and if preferred skinned, water about a cup, sugar equivalent to nectarines used or slightly less for a less sweet jam.
Boil nectarines in the water until soft, add sugar and rolloing boil until will set when tested.
eg 1kg nectarines, 750-1kg sugar, water to cover fruit, juice of 1-2 lemons or a green unripe apple to add pectin (or if you can afford jam setting sugar).

Bottle, cover and store in cool dark cupboard.

Another option which is what I do for all my fruit is cook it down in lots of aound 500g-1.5kg and freeze. The smaller lots I use for fruit crumbles, pies, sponges, stewed. the larger lots I label well eg 1.5kg nectarines for jam need to add sugar to make up. Means I can make into jam when I need it and dont have oodles of jam in cupboard waiting to be used.
Noticed the other day I was using a jar of marmalade made in 2006 and still have another 2 in cupboard, nothing wrong with it but we dont eat a lot of jam so it lasts for years.

pickles7, Mar 9, 4:43pm
It was never a popular jam in our house, only made it once. I wouldn't throw the sugar at them, again. false economy when the family wouldn't eat it. Made the kids go blackberrying instead.lol
now, I grow the berries. even better.