Jam won't set~! Would gelatin do it?

darlingmole, Feb 8, 8:52pm
I left the stones in - didn't set.
Added sour green apples - still not setting
Added lemon juice - still no joy!
So do you think if I added gelatin to the boiling mix of plum jam that this would work?My patience is wanning .....

lilyfield, Feb 8, 9:04pm
x1
I have done that, and then kept the jam in deepfreeze- bar the jar in use=in fridge. Also have done it on purpose to reduce sugar content.

darlingmole, Feb 8, 9:13pm
thanks lilyfield ... there's nothing fun about getting frustrated with your food!

elliehen, Feb 8, 9:43pm
For fruit without much pectin, it's worth using sachets with added pectin (King's brand is one, I think...full instructions on how much to use on the sachet.)

cgvl, Feb 8, 10:20pm
hmm how much water did you use with the fruit and did you add enough sugar.
Berry fruit needs no added water, plums no more than a cup full for 3kg, apricots, peaches and nectarines about a cupful. The water used is more about stopping the fruit from sticking to pan than adding volume.
Sugar if you reduce it too much the jam wont set .... I found that out the hard way.

If thats not the problem then either adding jam setting mix or leaving it to be a bit runny is the best. I wouldn't try the gelatin as I have done and it made no difference.
I have some that one batch is nice and thick the other just wouldn't set as thick.
Homemade jam doesn't set as thick generally as store bought jam.

uli, Feb 9, 1:50am
If you want to keep the jam then use pectin.
If you use gelatin then keep it in the fridge, as it will most likely spoil soon.

uli, Feb 9, 1:51am
I always thought the opposite :)

lythande1, Feb 9, 3:36am
Too runny, boil it down.

davidt4, Feb 9, 3:41am
darlingmole, it is possible that you've over-boiled the jam as by the sounds of it there was plenty of pectin in it.If it's turned into a thick sticky mess there's really nothing you can do except keep it to use as an ice cream sauce or in other puddings.

buzzy110, Feb 9, 3:49am
My analysis is that you used very ripe or over ripe plums. Jams are best made before fruit reaches full ripeness both for setting and other stuff IMO.

darlingmole, Feb 9, 4:45am
sadly I must nod my head davidt4 although it isn't sticky ... but I'm gutted!Think I definately over boiled it ... ah well - I have jars and jars of plum sauce for cakes and puddings for the winter now!

lythande1, Apr 5, 11:03am
If it isn't sticky then it's too runny.