Wishing to make jam..

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, Jan 15, 10:37am
buy a sugar thermometer before starting. Takes the guess WORK OUT AS TO WHEN YOUR JAM WILL SET PERFECTLY.

lythande1, Jan 15, 7:41pm
All jam is easy, all jam is 1kg fruit to 1kg sugar. Add the juice of a lemon to help setting.

maryteatowel1, Jan 15, 8:42pm
...we eat a LOT of plum jam!!!...i usually make it twice a year...the first lot just as plums are coming into season...the second lot half way through the year...the easiest way is to wash and then freeze the fruit for a night....the next day get the fruit out of the freezer and weigh it...put them into a large pot for cooking...(i make plum jam with 3kgs of plums so use a preserving pan)...let the plums defrost and all the juice will come out...boil this up without adding any water...there will be enough juice to do the job and the plums will be soft and pulpy to start with...add the juice of one or two lemons...when it has reached a boil turn it down and simmer until the plum skins disintegrate into the pulpy mixture (this can take half an hour...don't let it burn or catch on the pot)...add the same weight of sugar as the amount of plums you used...boil rapidly for about 10 mins and then check to see if it will set...if it hasn't reached the setting point keep boiling until it does...it wont take long...you can take the stones out at this stage...i don't sieve mine as we like it with a bit of body...put the jam into sterilised jars...i sterilise mine in the oven as i do so much at once...i just clean them then lay them on their sides straight on the oven racks and turn the oven on to 110C for about 10 mins...freezing the fruit when it is at it's freshest means you can make jam any time of the year...

elliehen, Jan 15, 10:55pm
Go on...live a little dangerously.Life should not be all about deprivation and self-denial ;)

elliehen, Jan 15, 10:58pm
t.gypsy, apricot jam is another, like plum, that sets well without extra pectin.

Once again, just make sure the fruit is not squishy and over-ripe or it will set like rock.

fogs, Feb 4, 10:00pm
Last year I made black Cheerry Jam as the cherries were so chaep and it was yummy. Todday I have made 12 jars of strawberry jam and a jar of boysenberry's straight from the garden. Will make more Cherry Jam this week as it looks like they are cheap again this year. Have a son a university who lives on jam during the year as he doesn't like the halls of residence food.