Corned Beef in a Tin...spam...

Page 2 / 4
uli, Jan 4, 6:19am
What is wrong with the fat?
Probably the most worthwhile of the whole tin to eat ...

coconutbuns, Jan 4, 6:24am
Good idea vintage

coconutbuns, Jan 4, 6:25am
Hellabys is the best! Reduced fat so you feel a bit less guilty when eating it lol

buzzy110, Jan 4, 6:26am
Lol uli, if I was going to complain about anything, other than the taste that was, it would be preservative. That would stop me from eating it. However, I also do not think the texture is up to much and it surely does look a lot more like cat or dog food, as vk said, than it does corned beef.

0800xford, Jan 4, 7:33am
apparently it was "golden country corned beef" [i recognise the label]

uli, Jan 4, 7:54am
So what did you do to it in the end?

elliehen, Jan 4, 8:23am
I have seen a photo of a sculpture of a cow made from stapled corned beef tins - very impressive!You can probably find it with Google...

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 8:23am
vintagekitty i got the blue chelsea Syrup cross for early Xmas pressie.....want to make similarbut different shape and construction.....The Baking Powder cross sold super fast was told...would have been my pick.

0800xford, Jan 4, 8:32am
it cost me money, so i ate it, but spat out the bone and bits of skin.
it was as unpleasant as it sounds!

not quite as bad as my pregnant sardines, that was awful.

fishheadsoup, Jan 4, 8:39am
coconutbuns is right and real yummy thickened with coconut milk

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 8:40pm
Anyone who has a user name Fishheadsoupis a brave soul....lol

davidt4, Jan 4, 8:57pm

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 9:32pm
Yesdavidt 4 beautifullt made...not quite what this beginner aspires too....have seen it and has stayed in my memory....now wondering what,who ate all that fatty corned beef.....!

davidt4, Jan 4, 9:46pm
That's a grim thought!

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 11:19pm
Indeed.

elliehen, Jan 4, 11:38pm
That's the one!Had forgotten it was a Te Papa acquisition.

davidt4, Jan 4, 11:45pm
Michel Tuffery has made many assemblages out of packaging.

http://www.micheltuffery.co.nz/gallery/sculpture/34

jbsouthland, Jan 5, 12:10am
Amazing...friend made her son , as part of his 21st birthday ...a mirror with thewooden frame heavily coveredand decorated with all his plastic McD toys,animals,dice,cars,planes,-
soldiers,collectables from his childhood...etc... strong glue then sprayed them antique gold and wasthe most amazing artwork .

elliehen, Jan 5, 12:36am
Have you seen the work of New Zealand sculptor Jeff Thomson?He has recently moved from his characteristic corrugated iron sculptures of animals toward more abstract work - kete, mats and knots woven from strips of old iron.

I can picture corned beef cans trimmed into ribbons and turned into a stunning work of art :)

gilligee, Jan 5, 8:29am
Yes, buy the fat free version and maybe it will look more appitising to you.

jbsouthland, Jan 6, 12:16am
I was hoping to try making something simple eg) ball shape. Yes Elliehen do know Jeff Thomsons sculptures.... There are some lovely examples (artists name escapes me) of recycled metal objects made into parrots,keas etcin a little gallery just North Dunedin....Blue ..something..Bay.We recently purchased a David Lloyd sculpture....can be seen on Little River Gallerieswebsite....little piggy on a cart!!

buzzy110, Jan 6, 2:15am
Pregnant sardines. You tear my nightie and boggle my mind.

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 1:54am
What do you do with it .I am about to buy quite a numberof tins. the brand witha brown cow on the label as am doing an art project/sculpture usingthe tins .opened the one I brought the other day and looked very uninviting to eat.any ideas.can't feed to the dog as shes on abovine free diet.

245sam, Jan 4, 2:45am
jbsouthland, that corned beef is not at all something that we have on a regular basis but it, along with a can or two of baked beans, is a very standby for when camping to make this meal.

OUTDOORS STEW
potatoes (the number required dependent on potato size and the number of people to be served)
1-2 onions
1 or 2 x 440g can(s) baked beans
1 x 340g can corned beef, trimmed of any fat and cut into chunky pieces

Peel the potatoes and cut them into even-sized chunky pieces. Put the potatoes on to cook in water to just cover them, then chop the onion(s) into chunky pieces and add them to the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are just half cooked, then pour off most of the water. To the almost cooked potatoes and onions add the baked beans and the corned beef. Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 10 minutes, then serve – as is, with tomato sauce and/or grated cheese.

Somewhere I think I still have other recipes using that product but they are not personally tried and tested, however I'll keep an eye out for them and post any that I do find so that you have some other options.

Good luck with your " art project/sculpture using the tins".:-))

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 4:49am
Thanks yes its that Pacific corned beef in yellow and red tin.want the tins to cut up and rivet together.We ate some in a sandwich but next day was revolting looking.comes in two sizes and at approx $7 largetinthought I'd try and eat it!