Corned Beef in a Tin...spam...

Page 3 / 4
jbsouthland, Jan 4, 4:54am
Have thought about giving to a family who likes it and asking for the tins returned but don't know anyone who might consume it.Partner thinks would be ok added to"bubble and squeak" meal.I tried it in an omelette and couldn't eat it as had seen all the fat .

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 5:01am
When I wanted some cute old "shabby chic"red buckle shoes .gave new pair to a friendstoddler grandchild to wear ,encouraged rough treatment then when she outgrew them they were returned to me.distressed them abit more (sandpaper/steelwool) and added some antique finish and got just the effect !

245sam, Jan 4, 5:09am
I understand that an effective way of overcoming the 'fat problem' with canned corned beef is to chill the can and its contents, then as soon as the can is opened the fat can easily be picked out of the meat and hopefully then it would be not only a somewhat healthier option but also more visually appetising.

Hope that helps.:-))

vintagekitty, Jan 4, 5:15am
sorry didnt read the bit re removing from the cans, I dont know, its pretty awful stuff to eat:). know any samoan families!

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 5:17am
Yes was next day out iof fridge that I saw how fatty it was.first day wasnt noticeable at all in sandwich.could heat and strainI guess.Am going off the wholesculpture idea.any suggestions re other colourful interesting tins out there that could be used.!

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 5:20am
Thanks vintagekitty .enjoy distressing ,antiquing .with your username Id envisage you do to.!

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 5:24am
Vintagekitty .If you google Susan Braithwaite then click on Little River Gallery( our favChCh Gallery) you will see her cool ideas using old tins.

vintagekitty, Jan 4, 5:32am
love them, they would look great at my house!, is that the sort of look you are going for!

Some of the cans at the asian supermarket would look so cool like that Gallery link, although I do like the edmonds cans, I do so like the kiwiana aspect.

coconutbuns, Jan 4, 5:38am
Oh no don't throw away the corned beef or give to the cat!

Three ways to have corned beef from the tin

1) As it is, with hot white rice
2) Cooked in a pan with a bit of water and sliced onion, have with rice, it is fattening but yum!
3) Cornbeef Stew. As above no. 2) then add chopped/diced/frozen veg, beans &/or cabbage is good, or silverbeet, a few carrot sticks, more water if you think it is needed, then turn it into a stew by adding thickening - flour/water

uli, Jan 4, 6:19am
What is wrong with the fat!
Probably the most worthwhile of the whole tin to eat .

uli, Jan 4, 7:54am
So what did you do to it in the end!

elliehen, Jan 4, 8:23am
I have seen a photo of a sculpture of a cow made from stapled corned beef tins - very impressive!You can probably find it with Google.

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 8:23am
vintagekitty i got the blue chelsea Syrup cross for early Xmas pressie.want to make similarbut different shape and construction.The Baking Powder cross sold super fast was told.would have been my pick.

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 8:40pm
Anyone who has a user name Fishheadsoupis a brave soul.lol

jbsouthland, Jan 4, 9:32pm
Yesdavidt 4 beautifullt made.not quite what this beginner aspires too.have seen it and has stayed in my memory.now wondering what,who ate all that fatty corned beef.!

davidt4, Jan 4, 9:46pm
That's a grim thought!

elliehen, Jan 4, 11:38pm
That's the one!Had forgotten it was a Te Papa acquisition.

jbsouthland, Jan 5, 12:10am
Amazing.friend made her son , as part of his 21st birthday .a mirror with thewooden frame heavily coveredand decorated with all his plastic McD toys,animals,dice,cars,planes,-
soldiers,collectables from his childhood.etc. strong glue then sprayed them antique gold and wasthe most amazing artwork .

elliehen, Jan 5, 12:36am
Have you seen the work of New Zealand sculptor Jeff Thomson!He has recently moved from his characteristic corrugated iron sculptures of animals toward more abstract work - kete, mats and knots woven from strips of old iron.

I can picture corned beef cans trimmed into ribbons and turned into a stunning work of art :)

uli, Jan 5, 4:49am
So what did you do with all the bovine "matter" in the end - and how did that sculpture come out!

gingercrush, Jan 5, 4:55am
I like making a fish pie but replacing fish with the corned beef.

tjman, Jan 5, 5:19am
I hate spam!My husband loves the crap!He like to coat in flour then egg and fry it.Son also buys corned beef but english variety and takes it on outdoor education trips.He and his mates fry it up and have sandwiches. not my cup of tea, but they love it.Maybe a man survival thing lol

jag5, Jan 5, 8:18am
mix it up with finely diced onion, tomato sauce and put it on sandwiches.lovely.I do tend to scrape off most of the fat though.ick.

I may only do this once a year.it is not a regular occurence, but now and then I get a hankering for it.

harrislucinda, Jan 5, 10:03am
webrought a canjust this week while out camping Willneverwastemoneyon thatcrap againdid you see thehighfat contentand cholestrol

imrae1, Jan 5, 10:01pm
Hellabys tinned corn beef was our only source of meat at times during the war years and we found lots of ways to use it.