Corned beef in the slow cooker. please.

Page 1 / 2
fordy1110, Aug 4, 5:05am
hi im thinking of getting some meat tomorrow and would like to know how you go about cooking this please.
I have a slow cooker and havent used it much, I made a sasuage casserole the other day. And some beef thing, and that's really it.
And it's a big size slow cooker as well so does that mean a big size amount of meat?
thanks.

rainrain1, Aug 4, 5:39am
You can put a small piece of meat into your large cooker. Cover the corn with water and turn to high and let it simmer away for all day. Put your carrots onions etc in at the same time. I always cut my onions into quarters as they don't seem to cook so well. Some people add all sort of flavours, but I don't.

blt10, Aug 4, 6:06am
Does the meat fall apart when cooked rainrain?

rainrain1, Aug 4, 6:14am
It will if it's overcooked... . you need to trial and error your cooker

bunnyclan, Aug 4, 6:25am
I think CB needs a long slow cook. My slow cooker has a high and low setting. I use low for 7 - 8hrs for best results (on high would be 4hrs ish but I've found it to be a little tougher).

I use a bottle of ginger ale then top up with water until the meat is covered. Also add a bit of honey or golden syrup.

Yummmm

darlingmole, Aug 4, 6:26am
I made rice pudding in mine last night - yes I know, completely unrelated to your meat question! but talk about easy!
Simply threw in 1 C rice, 6 cups of HOT milk, 1/2 C sugar, 1 t vanilla essenceand zest of 2 lemons. Cooked on High for 2 & 1/2 hours stirring every 40 mins or so. Easy as, and sublime!

darlingmole, Aug 4, 6:28am
The other thing I made last week (meat related this time) was hangi pork (basically pork chunks/off cuts ... cheap as chips). Threw in crockpot for 7 hours on low with 1 tin of budget apricots, good splash of soy sauce, pepper/salt. Served with savoury rice from memory. The meat was succulent after I drained off the fat that is!

blt10, Aug 4, 7:27am
Thanks for the reply, haven't cooked corned beef in it yet. . but is it necessary to cook on high all day? excuse the silly Q.

245sam, Aug 4, 7:45am
blt10, IMO the answer to that question is No.
I have an approximately 20 years old Sunbeam Crockpot and have very successfully cooked corned silverside in it many times using the cooking times as shown in the crockpot's instruction book i. e. based on a 1. 5 Kg piece of corned silverside, cook on Auto/Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-6 hours. Please remember that a smaller piece of meat will not need so long to cook, while a larger piece will need longerANDcooking times do vary amongst the various brands of crockpots and slow cookers that are available nowdays but my understanding is that the newer ones actually cook faster than my trusty older model.

Hope that helps. :-))

chchproperty, Aug 4, 9:00am
I personally do not add anything to my slow cooker with a corned beef beccause moisture does not escape. I add golden syrup, sugar and vinegar to mine and cook it on slow for approx 5 hours. delish! I use my slow cooker all the time and find if you dont thaw meat it can make a meat dish very runny as there is no where for the moisture to escape. Ive gone against the grain with everyone else, but it works! !

flopsie, Aug 4, 11:11am
I like using the cooking liquid to make the mustard sauce so probably wouldn't do this.

samsara11, Aug 4, 11:23am
Try just beer, you can also make lovely mustard sauce from the juice that is generated. On low/auto all day. I do it frequently and I also put all my vegetables on top of the meat when I start it

rainrain1, Aug 4, 7:17pm
I would be inclined to cook it on high for 4 or 5 hours, then turn to medium or low.

chooky, Aug 4, 8:13pm
Mine would be at least 20 years old too, since finding this site a few months ago, have used it more this year than ever before. I only ever cooked corn beef in it as I only work part-time so had plenty of time. I cook corn beef on low all day, justa cup of water, brown sugar and a few pepper corns. Mac Cheese on sunday for lunch, rice puddings, pork roast, any recipe I find I give it a go. I just love this site. Keep it going ladies.

blt10, Aug 4, 8:55pm
Thank you 254sam and others for your posts.

mehrtsmagic, Aug 4, 9:06pm
The other thing I learned from here is to cook it in ginger ale with a cut up orange. Nice and easy. You can't really overcook it. I put mine on at 8am on low and don't get home till around 6pm and its all still delicous... . .

kcak, Aug 4, 9:11pm
I usually buy a piece of silverside that will do 2 meals for 4 people (if that gives you any indication on size) and cook it on low from 9a. m. till 6p. m. I cut onion into rings and sit the meat on them, then add cloves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, bay leaves, a spoon of brown sugar and a splash of vinegar. I pour hot water over until the meat is 2/3 covered and then just leave it. The water level rises during the day due to condensation accumulating on the lid and running into the dish. Do not lift the lid during the day.

linsday1, Aug 4, 9:15pm
sago pudding could I cook this in a slow cooker?

fordy1110, Aug 4, 11:42pm
Hi thankyou for this i have just got back on, I'll get some meat hopefully it's not dare as i dont have much $$$ left now :(.

But thankyou for the greta ideas and hint's.
I love it hot and cold. esp with a nice pickle or relish. :)

have a great day heidi. :)

fordy1110, Aug 4, 11:44pm
Lol i dont mind. I will have to buy a slow cooker book. As it only came with a few food tips eg how to cook rice and that sort of thing.
Partner gave it to me for valentines day ( well a week or 2 later) As he knew i wanted one.
rather that than an iron ( i dont iron) :)

figjam000, Aug 5, 1:32am
Cover with water, add onions, carrots, 1 tablespoon malt vinegar, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, on high (I have low and high only) for 4 hours, then low if fresh, high all day if frozen.

fordy1110, Aug 5, 1:59am
Hi just brought some so will do a prep tonight as i have the dentist at 10am :(.
What is it that some people eg my mum something inside the meat?
pokes it in. is it garlic? or some clove it's white i think.

They are over seas so cant contact them they come home on the 17th of august.

Thankyou and i cant wait this will be my first time doing something like this, I saw all the blood in it as well So not looking forward to that part as i hate blood and gut's. :(

thankyou. :)

fisher, Aug 5, 3:24am
fordy ... no thats garlic slivers and it's for a roast beef in the oven...
try this. .
Take the wrapper off when frozen and then wash/scrape all the jelly/blood off and remove any "excess' fat. .
Cup of warm water. . 2 bay leaves and a little malt vinegar. . a sliced up large onion and a couple of cloves and about 10 whole peppercorns. .
That's it... no gingerale, no golden syrup, no honey, no brown sugar. .
Put it on AUTO and it will cook for an hour on high and then turn itself down to low for the rest of the day. .
About half hour before you are ready to serve, turn it up to high and add some par-boiled carrots, and some sliced cabbage in to the crockpot... Now you have ALL the ingredients for a nice meal. .
remove the meat and cover it... serve up the veges and then strain the juice to make a mustard sauce...

Mustard Sauce. . Beef ~ Corned Beef ~ Pickled Pork
Ingredients:
1 tbsp melted butter. . 1 beef oxo cube. . 2 tbsp flour. . 3 tbsp of prepared mustard (as below). . 1 cup water from corned beef. . 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce. .
Method:
Melt the butter, then add the flour in saucepan off the heat / stir. . Stir oxo cube into corned beef water and then add to saucepan. .
Bring to boil turn down to low and cook until just thickens.
Then add prepared mustard and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to make the sauce. .
Variations: depends on how you like it:}
2 hot english mustard and 1 dijon
2 dijon and 1 hot english mustard
1 hot english mustard and 1 horseradish sauce

fordy1110, Aug 5, 3:48am
yummy thankyou.
But it's fresh meat went down to countdown.
Unless i put it in the freezer then freeze it and do it for saturday?
I'll peel carrots ect now i think, and potatoes tomorrow wont take long.
Thanks again. fisher. and everyone else on here.

fisher, Aug 5, 4:55am
fordy. .
just use the meat tomorrow 'as is" if you want. . DONT freeze it. . Do this tomorrow for friday nights dinner. . (1) put meat on plate in the fridge now. .
(2) Tomorrow, take the wrap off, wash it well , and cut off excess fat... place in crocpot and add ingredients as my above post and turn to "AUTO"... lid on and leave it alone. . ! ! :}
(3) 2-3 Carrots can be peeled while crockpot is going "ON THE DAY".
just peel. . make nice ring slices and place in a small saucepan with a tsp of salt in it and then place the lid on. . now bring the water to the boil. . and leave it for a minute or two. . now turn the element off and leave it on there. . that bits done. . its par boiled ready for the crockpot later. . :}
Slice up 1/4 cabbage (or more if big family:}) and wash it well in the sink... Just leave it in water in the sink... that bits done :}
Now half an hour before dinner time. . strain the carrots and put them into the crockpot. . pile all the cabbage on top and turn the crockpot to high. .
Now you can peel ya spuds and get them going how you like them...
Mashed with a little fine diced onion be real nice...
Get all the mustard sauce stuff ready to make it while its all still cooking. . when you remove the meat , strain the juices and use a cup of it to make the mustard sauce whichever way you like most...
Corned beef with mustard sauce, nice flavoured crunchy cabbage and carrots with some mashed spuds on the side... hmmmmm