Left over corned beef - what to do with it apart

kuaka, Aug 20, 9:25pm
from sandwiches? Can you suggest something I can turn it into for maybe lunch. I don't think my other half would appreciate it for tea tonight as it is now several days old, but how can I jazz it up for lunch?

bunny51, Aug 20, 9:32pm
hash browns? (We don't get many left overs at our houselol)

cookessentials, Aug 20, 9:33pm
Corned beef hash

jed, Aug 20, 9:33pm
Make corned-beef fritters. Cube meat into small cubes and mix into fritter mix with 2 tbps relish. Yummo

kuaka, Aug 20, 9:34pm
thanks bunny51, I was thinking along those lines or some sort of meat loaf/rissole type thing. I have a mincer, so I just might give it a go. (We don't get all that much in the way of left-overs either but when we do, there tends to be quite a bit of whatever it is)

bunny51, Aug 20, 9:34pm
Looks like everyone has similar ideas lol. (Do you still crochet? Have you seen the thread in crafts re someone looking for someone to crochet a baby shawl? )

trading_gibsons, Aug 20, 9:35pm
My mother used to mince it up, then follow chicken croquette recipe, were yummy.

kuaka, Aug 20, 9:45pm
hi bunny, yes I still crochet - always busy with the crochet hook or knitting needles - don't sew much these days as my mismatched dining room curtains shows (I still have one to make - four new ones and one old one in the entire room! and been like that since before Xmas) I didn't see the message in crafts - I will check it out, thanks (although most folk don't want to pay much for the amount of effort that goes into crocheting a shawl)

kuaka, Aug 20, 9:48pm
bunny, thanks for that. I found it and have left a message, although someone else has too, and seeing as one is in Porirua and the other in Paihiatua it might be easier for them rather than me to get involved, (those two are fairly close together geographically, aren't they? )

bunny51, Aug 20, 10:08pm
Good luck with that then, I thought of you as soon as I saw it.

kuaka, Aug 20, 11:07pm
bunny, I don't know what I did, but I've just checked and my message wasn't there, so I have now left one for her.

bunny51, Aug 21, 1:03am
Hehe, that happens to me sometimes too. Don't know why -gremlins on trade me message board perhaps

theanimal1, Aug 21, 7:53am
Recipe for corned beef hash made with cooked corned beef and potatoes and onions and gravy.
Ingredients:

* 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
* 2 cups cooked corned beef, finely chopped
* 3 cups cooked, chopped potatoes
* 2 tablespoons minced onion
* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional
* salt, pepper and brown gravy

Preparation:
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add corned beef, potatoes, and minced onion; spread evenly in the skillet. Brown on one side; turn with a spatula and brown the other side. Continue turning until most of the meat and potatoes are well-browned. Drain off excess fat and moisten with 3 or 4 tablespoons of brown gravy or beef gravy. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

kuaka, Aug 21, 8:37am
well what I ended up doing because when I started to prepare tea it was later than I had planned - I minced the corned beef (trimmed every scrap of fat off first) and chopped an onion which I fried in butter, added the minced corned beef and cooked for a while, then added half a can of diced tomatoes, lots of pepper, and let it simmer away and it was delicious. The other half took one look at it, pulled a face and said "what am I having for my tea? " so I cooked him a home-made but frozen mince pie. Looks like I'll be having left-over corned beef for tomorrows lunch too!

rarogirl1, Aug 21, 9:49am
add sliced cabbage to that Kuaka delish.

kuaka, Aug 21, 10:11am
that last message should read "I microwaved him a pie" - I certainly wasn't going to bake one specially for him when he'd turned his nose up at a perfectly good feed.

ashton3, Aug 21, 10:16am
Corned Beef Rissoles. Mince the Corned Beef with an onion add what herbs and spices you like add an egg to bind and then roll in some flour then cook in a bit of oil. Our kids used to hate corned beefr but always scoffed these down.

danchop, Aug 21, 10:30am
corned beef with tomatoes? ive never had left over corned beef in anything else but sandwiches, although ive had the somoan thing with coconut cream wrapped in some leaf, that was nice but i dont know what else was in it

kuaka, Feb 14, 11:11am
danchop - why not? It tasted good. I had planned on making rissoles along the lines that ashton said, or a meat loaf, but was running a bit late, so it all just ended up in the frying pan, and looked a bit dry, so I chucked in half a can of toms (and they're cheap too which helps). It was very tasty.