Annabel Langbein's Strawberry Cloud Cake-Delicious

Page 1 / 3
eljayv, Jan 3, 3:48am
sylvia1 I made it recently and have been wondering about adding a little gelatine to the mix to keep it a little firmer if left out of freezer for a short time.Should work don't you think! I add it when making lemon meringue pie - helps make clean slices.

sylvia1, Nov 20, 12:26am
x7
Made this yesterday out of her new cookbook, The free Range cook. It was super easy and not expensive to make. So thought I would share it.

Base:
150g plain sweet biscuits (made into fine crumbs)
1/2cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g butter, melted
Mix altogether and line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin lined with baking paper.Refrigerate while preparing base.

Filling:
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 punnet strawberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in a clean dry bowl of an electric beater. Beat on high for 6-8 mins until mixture is very thick and fluffy and hte sugar is dissolved. You should not feel any gritty sugar after this time. If you do beat for longer.
Spoon over chilled base, smooth top, cover with baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours. Will keep in airtight container in freezer for up to a month.

tortenz, Nov 20, 12:30am
x1
What was the texture of the filling like?Looks interesting :)

fifie, Nov 20, 12:37am
x2
MMmm sounds lovely, thanks for sharing love her recipes, book is on my wish list for xmas lol...

lynnea1, Nov 20, 3:06am
x3
Do you put the biscuit mixture up the sides of the tin or just the bottom?

sylvia1, Nov 20, 4:24am
The texture is similar to a cheescake mix, but not as rich and I didn't put thebase up the sides. Also I forgot to mention it serves 12.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 4:45am
x1
Mmm. I must say that does look amazing. And one could assume that other fruit such as raspberries, blackberries, fresh mango, papaya, whizzed up apple, feijoa and even quavas would work just as well.

sylvia1, Nov 20, 4:49am
Yes it would be good to try it with other fruit. I was amazed that it fluffed up so well with the fruit added to the egg white. Apart from the base there is virtually no fat in it.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 5:15am
Lol. I personally don't see the lack of fat as a benefit but it certainly looks like a wonderful cake. In fact one could even make it without the base and serve it up in scoops, like a sort of ice cream, for fat phobes or those who have dairy intolerance. It looks like a very adaptable cake and one that I have already saved to my own recipe file.

liamjosh, Nov 20, 6:06am
Mmmmm, looks delish, her book is also on my wishlist for christmas.... i think I may have to start leaving that list lying around.

lynja, Nov 20, 6:30am
wow sylvia1 is that a photo of your cake or the one in the book. so often the ones shown in books look twice the size etc. thanks for sharing it, looks great!

sylvia1, Nov 20, 8:35am
It is the one in the book, but it did make enough for 12 good slices.

rmwhaanga, Nov 21, 6:21am
Made this last week and I was amazed at how much it made from so little and it served 10 people easily.A nice light dessert.

sticky3, Nov 22, 12:16am
x1
Thanks Sylvia for the recipe, made this yesterday and was very impressed - easy to make, easily accessible ingredients and gone in 60 seconds - a sign of success in my household!

lizab, Nov 22, 1:03am
sounds and looks excellent!! I've printed off the recipe and will make as soon as I've got some strawberries. Thx for sharing the recipe with us.

sylvia1, Nov 22, 4:09am
x1
You can get it with flybuy points. You only need 275 points for it.

toerag, Nov 22, 4:22am
Got it on the weekend with my flybuys. Great book, worth getting.

kate113, Nov 23, 7:16am
I've made this, its in the freezer! how soon do you serve after taking out of the freezer? thanks

sylvia1, Nov 23, 5:16pm
x1
She recommends at least 4 hours before serving

poohbearfan3, Nov 25, 9:10pm
x1
Anyone know how long it needs to be out of the freezer before serving?I'm thinking of making it over the weekend and using it Wednesday night, so leaving it in the freezer until Wednesday, but when would I need to take it back out again?

guest, Nov 27, 6:50am
sounds yummy and looked yummy on the tv tonight so i am going to try it out and the fact that it has next to no fat is a bonus. Thanks for the recipe.

caravan1, Nov 27, 7:01pm
I make the same as Annabel but I freeze it and it is soooooo
good, just like a fluffy icecream, great for the kids too.I omitted the sugar tho and added liquid sugromax or any of those sugar substitutes, great for diabetics as well

geldof, Nov 28, 12:05am
I just made this. Makes a huge amount!I put a few drops of rose water in mine.yum.

Going to try peach and passionfruit next time.

agree with previous poster who said it would be nice as a scooped 'ice cream'

motorbo, Nov 28, 12:28am
that looks fabulous!!!!

cgvl, Nov 28, 12:31am
it looked form what she made last night that it maybe similar to a marshmellow texture ..... would I be correct in that assumption or is it more like very light whipped cream ... texture wise?.

It did look nice though.