Help! Need a nice salad/coleslaw dressing.

karenbnz, Jul 1, 3:45am
Hi I have made a salad/Coleslaw and I need a nice dressing.
In the salad I have Savoy cabbage, kale, silverbeet, diced red/green capsicum, celery, carrot, mung beans, sometimes alfalfa sprouts. With the Kale and cabbage salad I recently purchased they had a nice lemon and garlic cream type dressing but I would like to make my own with out the preservatives etc in it. I would appreciate your Recipes that are tried and true that have worked for you. Thanks in advance

rainrain1, Jul 1, 4:50am
Hill Billy Mayo

Mix together the following: Juice of one lemon, zest of one lemon, ½ tsp minced garlic,
1 heaped teasp Dijon mustard, 2 Tblsp apple syrup or runny honey, 2 Tblsp chopped parsley, salt and pepper, 2 Tblsp garlic aioli (you don’t need this but if you have some on hand use it, or if you have a good quality mayo, add a spoonful) thin out with olive oil-you need about ¼ to 1/3 cup olive oil.
Mix well and keep in fridge-will keep for a week

samanya, Jul 1, 5:21am
I love this . easy as, I got it from here yonks ago & I'm sorry I don't know who to give the credit to
I seldom buy mayo as it's so easy to whip up your own & at least you know what's in it . emulsifiers etc *yikes* & yet people rave over 'Best Foods' mayo?

1 egg
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp
2 tabs vinegar ( I use cider vinegar but mixed with lemon juice would work)
1 cup oil of choice, I use rice bran/ light olive or a mixture
Parsley & garlic to taste (optional, but I use heaps cos I love both)
Put all ingredients into a tall container, adding the oil last
Whizz with a stick blender until thick & creamy & bingo, done.
Hey rainrain . yours sounds good, will give it a whirl.

uli, Jul 1, 5:39am
I use olive oil, cider vinegar. a spot of soy sauce, salt and pepper.
Has the advantage of the above recipes that any leftovers will keep in the fridge for days and not spoil due to raw egg etc.

samanya, Jul 1, 6:41am
Your recipe sounds more like a vinaigrette than a mayo type dressing & I'm sure it's good. either would be good on coleslaw, I reckon.
My recipe keeps for days in the fridge without spoiling ( I do use a very fresh egg, like laid that day) & I'm sure rainrain's does keep as well, in fact it tastes even better after a few days.

nauru, Jul 1, 7:09am
I use the same recipe as you and find that it keeps very well in the fridge. Never had a problem with it going bad in all the years I've been making it.

bella95, Jul 1, 9:35am
I use 2/3 mayo and 1/3 plain yoghurt. Thick and creamy and the tang from the yoghurt really works. Obviously proportions can be changed to taste.

karenbnz, Jul 1, 4:29pm
Thanks everyone for awesome recipes will try them all, much appreciated

glasshalfull, Jul 2, 7:06am
I used Best food mayo and 1/2 as much sour cream. Squirt of lemon juice.
Delicious!

herself, Jul 2, 11:01pm
Please tell what the ingredient is between the salt and the vinegar?
1/2 tsp of . ?

bella95, Jul 4, 9:09am
I've stopped buying sour cream and just use Greek yoghurt instead. Really nice, lower in fat and cheaper too. Love it 'cos it's equally useful in a cake, in my dressing or on my nachos.

samanya, Jul 4, 9:21am
Sorry . it's sugar

cleggyboy, Jul 4, 7:46pm
Can't go past the good old condensed milk, vinegar, mustard that my mum made. You can have all those other fancy odd tasting stuff.

herself, Jul 5, 5:41am
Thanks samanya. I'm looking forward to trying this :-)

mecanix, Jul 5, 6:07am
My go to has been yoghurt and harrissa.

Not much chop if you dont like it a bit spicy though.

samanya, Jul 5, 6:19am
;o)It's easy & it keeps & I pile in heaps of garlic & parsley, cos I love them.
It's much requested by my nieces & nephews & they call it aunty sam's aoli . & they want it on everything!
It's not really my aoli, I wish I could thank the original poster, but when I printed the recipe off, I left off the 'contributor' . it's blardy good though, I happily lick the utensils I use to make it (shock, horror) as I'm sure other people would never lick utensils . would they?

samanya, Aug 8, 9:05am
Hi ya mecanix ;)
That sounds good . I love spicy . will give that a whirl.
Thanks