Left over coleslaw

nettie14, Feb 11, 3:48am
Besides the gourmet potatoes I asked about I have a huge lot of coleslaw(2kg) (without dressing).Ideas how to use it would be greatly received.Thanks

davidt4, Feb 11, 4:02am
Is it mainly cabbage and carrot!You could make a soup - bacon and vege, chicken and vege.As long as you use good home made stock it will taste good.Add some onion if there isn't any in the coleslaw veges.

uli, Feb 11, 4:03am
I would of course ferment it into sauerkraut :)

nettie14, Feb 11, 4:13am
Yes, mainly cabbage and the carrot has run through it really fast!

uli, Feb 11, 4:15am

245sam, Feb 11, 4:47am
nettie14, your coleslaw could be used for a stir-fry, orKe-Si-Ming, or Mince Chow Mein and also as uli has suggested, okonomiyaki - there's an easy recipe at:-
http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/japanese-pancake-4888561

If you want/need a recipe for Ke-Si-Ming I can post one for you later but right now I need to have dinner before I go to do my secretarial pen-pushing at a meeting.Please do ask though if you'd like the recipe I have - it, like the chow mein recipe that I also have, uses half a cabbage so would go some way towards using your surplus coleslaw.

Hope that helps.:-))

nettie14, Feb 11, 4:49am
Thanks that would be great for the recipe when you have a chance.:-)

mumstu, Feb 11, 6:08am
Stir fry it and make spring rolls :)

uli, Feb 11, 7:29am
If everything fails - FREEZE until you can think clearer :)

245sam, Feb 11, 7:29pm
Here you are nettie14.

KE-SI-MING (curry)
500g steak
3 dssp rice
1 packet chicken noodle soup
1 large onion
pepper and salt to taste
4 cups water
1-2 tsp curry powder
½ small cabbage, shredded
2 celery sticks, including tops, chopped

Brown the onion and steak well in a saucepan, about 10 minutes.Add the cold water and all other ingredients.Cook for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally.
May be served as dinner with vegetables or as lunch on toast or with rice.

Please note that I have not used this recipe however I can tell you that it is from a fund-raiser recipe book from the high school that my DH and I attended as first day pupils (many many years ago) and the recipe was contributed by a Mum of one of our fellow students.:-))