Coleslaw - What are your variations?

Page 1 / 2
lukn4bargans, Sep 17, 4:13am
I have some coleslaw mix and I want to jazz it up and do something different...

What are some things that you guys add to yours?

Inc dressing recipes too please :)

About to ask in recipes too.

rosielee3, Sep 17, 4:27am
add oranges?

rosielee3, Sep 17, 4:28am
cashews?

greerg, Sep 17, 4:38am
Finely sliced celery, spring onion, walnutsand grated apple (sort of a Waldorf coleslaw); lemon zest with lemon in the dressing as well and sultanas.

melp6, Sep 17, 4:39am
I started off with the standard carrot and cabbage, then grated some onion in, onion bad idea so have added some grapes(cut in half)

oldbaldgoat, Sep 17, 4:40am
I make my coleslaw based on a Nigella recipe and we've been munching on a ton of it lately it's so good hehe....sliced red cabbage, sliced green cabbage, jullienned carrots, spring onion and pecan nuts.Dress with 50g good mayonnaise (I use Best Foods - you don't want anything too sweet) mixed with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened or lightly sweetened yoghurt, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and the magic ingredient...1/2 tablespoon maple syrup.The thing is to use real maple syrup as it gives a lovely smokey flavour to the dressing...use imitation maple syrup at your peril lol.I can lick the bowl clean after mixing this dressing it's so good hehe

rainrain1, Sep 17, 4:46am
plenty extra grated carrot, spring onions, toasted pumpkin seeds, sultanas

eastie3, Sep 17, 4:49am
I take finely sliced cabbage and cover it with boiling water which I immediately drain off and then add salt,vinegar and a little oil-I'm using rice bran at the moment.Mix through,then add grated carrot,finely chopped onion,celery,mint and parsley. I dislike mayo in coleslaw and making it this way the result is vibrant colour and taste.It's a restaurant recipe from many years ago.

gardie, Sep 17, 5:26am
A few sultanas, a grated apple (yum) but my favourite of all is grated cheese - I'm a cheesaholic!

And if you have never tried apple in a coleslaw - you really should.Adds a flavour that leaves people wondering what it was.

doggydave, Sep 17, 6:11am
Tinned and fresh pineapple. absolutely delish!

darlingmole, Sep 17, 7:50pm
Finely sliced cabbage/onions, grated carrot/cheese and freshly chopped parsley.Pepper and Salt.Mayonaise that's been thinned down with cream ... everyone woofs it down!

motorbo, Sep 17, 8:41pm
i like to make a vinaigretterather than a mayo to dress it

pickles7, Sep 17, 11:08pm
14 day dressing for coleslaw.

1 & 1/4 cups of white vinegar
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 & 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 & 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Bring to a boil, simmer 5 minutes
Cool & poor over coleslaw, chill.
Remove with tongs however much coleslaw, you need.

spaniels, Sep 18, 7:29am
Tropical coleslaw:-green cabbage,carrot,fine chopped dried apricots,shredded coconut and roasted pinenuts. Toss and mix thru any dressing.

outback_gal, Sep 18, 9:07am
Sounds old fashioned, but try small cauliflour florets, and best mayo. The cauli is NICE - the only way our family eats it, never boiled!!!!!!!!!

kbrough, Sep 19, 4:33am
Sliced green cabbage, grated raw beetroot, grated carrot and toasted carraway seeds, add a little oil and vinegar and mix well.

alebix, Sep 19, 10:33am
I always add extra carrot and grated cheese... yummy.

lukn4bargans, Sep 17, 4:13am
I have some coleslaw mix and I want to jazz it up and do something different.

What are some things that you guys add to yours!

Inc dressing recipes too please :)

About to ask in recipes too.

rosielee3, Sep 17, 4:27am
add oranges!

rosielee3, Sep 17, 4:28am
cashews!

oldbaldgoat, Sep 17, 4:40am
I make my coleslaw based on a Nigella recipe and we've been munching on a ton of it lately it's so good hehe.sliced red cabbage, sliced green cabbage, jullienned carrots, spring onion and pecan nuts.Dress with 50g good mayonnaise (I use Best Foods - you don't want anything too sweet) mixed with 1 tablespoon of unsweetened or lightly sweetened yoghurt, 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and the magic ingredient.1/2 tablespoon maple syrup.The thing is to use real maple syrup as it gives a lovely smokey flavour to the dressing.use imitation maple syrup at your peril lol.I can lick the bowl clean after mixing this dressing it's so good hehe

eastie3, Sep 17, 4:49am
I take finely sliced cabbage and cover it with boiling water which I immediately drain off and then add salt,vinegar and a little oil-I'm using rice bran at the moment.Mix through,then add grated carrot,finely chopped onion,celery,mint and parsley. I dislike mayo in coleslaw and making it this way the result is vibrant colour and taste.It's a restaurant recipe from many years ago.

gardie, Sep 17, 5:26am
A few sultanas, a grated apple (yum) but my favourite of all is grated cheese - I'm a cheesaholic!

And if you have never tried apple in a coleslaw - you really should.Adds a flavour that leaves people wondering what it was.

darlingmole, Sep 17, 7:50pm
Finely sliced cabbage/onions, grated carrot/cheese and freshly chopped parsley.Pepper and Salt.Mayonaise that's been thinned down with cream . everyone woofs it down!

outback_gal, Sep 18, 9:07am
Sounds old fashioned, but try small cauliflour florets, and best mayo. The cauli is NICE - the only way our family eats it, never boiled!