Uses for Parmesan rinds?

awoftam, May 26, 3:36am
One of my books recommends adding these to stock when making however I am a tad nervous the flavor may be too strong. It does seem a shame though to throw these lovely (hard!) tasty things away.

Any one use them in any stock, sauces etc? Or anything else? I thought they may go okay in risotto rice when cooking.

davidt4, May 26, 7:43am
I've made Parmesan oil with rinds; it was nice in a Caesar salad dressing. Otherwise I would add a rind to a vege soup such as Minestrone.

awoftam, May 26, 7:53am
Love the idea with the oil. will do this, thanks so much.

I probably should have put the rind into the cauli soup I just made as it has a cup of parmesan in it, added at the end - didn't think about it. Doh.

terraalba, May 26, 8:42am
I've use it in soup a few times and it goes well never too strong. I like the oil idea too.

deanna14, May 27, 12:16am
I just chopped it finely and put it on top of the cottage pie with the tasty and Parmesan grated cheese.

illusion_, May 27, 2:33am
not in stock. that just doesnt make sense

wonderful in many different soups though. adds a "thats yummy, I wonder what's in it" flavour

awoftam, May 27, 2:43am
Thanks all - have some 'brewing' in oil now, and will use in soups in future.

sydney3, Jul 5, 9:06am
Hi, if your parmesan is true italian cheese the "rind" is actually cheese. It does not have any artificial exterior added - its just dried cheese - so use as you would the rest of it.