Grr Can't find a good Parmesan or even one

suie1, Feb 26, 4:20am
with any flavor. What is going on with it at the moment! Anyone else disappointed with it lately! As in the last 2mths all brands!

davidt4, Feb 26, 5:27am
The last wedge I bought was terrible and it wasn't a cheap one by any means, imported by Sabato.In the past I've found that the Italian Parmigiano Reggiano imported by Simon Gault's company (Nourish) has been very good, and I will get that again next time.It will always be expensive alas.

googie3, Feb 26, 6:34am
Yes that one seems the best ive had.

craig04, Feb 26, 6:43am
Yes we had the same problem last night, I made a yummy smoked chicken fettucine and was looking forward to some nice freshly grated parmesan on top - turned out it was flavourless crap! It didn't even smell very strong. Very disappointing!

otterhound, Feb 26, 8:33pm
We were given 1680 kg! of export parmesan, all vacuum packed in 20 kg blocks!That was about 2 years ago now, we're down to our last dozen or so blocks.Stored most of it in the freezer and fed it to our hounds bit by bit.Always have a sizable chunk of it in our fridge though, and it's fantastic stuff.It was a cancelled export order from Fonterra.There was actually 5 tonnes of it, but a couple of other hunts shared it as well.

suie1, Feb 26, 9:05pm
Where can I buy it!Thanks

suie1, Feb 26, 9:05pm
Quick take it to the lab & have it cloned!

davidt4, Feb 26, 10:54pm
I buy it from New World Victoria Park.

bernice1, Feb 26, 11:16pm
Just finsihing the end of a wedge we brought back from Parma, by the sounds of it, we may have to revisit!

davidt4, Feb 27, 12:40am
Now there's a thought.I so wish I had bought a big wedge of Pecorino from the supermarket when we were last in Rome - it was incredibly cheap ($16 per kg) and so much better than anything we can get in NZ.I guess we'll just have to return.

elliehen, Feb 27, 12:44am
Might not have to go so far. There's some very good cheese in the Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne, made by Italians:)

tmcs1, Feb 27, 4:31am
I find vetro in the 'tron have the best parmisan. They import Parmago Regianno from Italy and well as the slightly cheaper but just as good Grana Padano. When you buy it in 1kg wedges it's actually pretty good value.

Unfortunately they don't sell their cheese online!

kay141, Feb 27, 4:34am
Not always a guarantee of good flovour. I bought some imported Parmago Regianno which does not have a lot of flavour.

winnie231, Feb 27, 7:56am
Mainland Parmesan won a gold medal in the 2011 Cuisine NZ Champions of Cheese Awards .
maybe it's worth trying.

tmcs1, Feb 28, 4:58am
Absolutely, although the Vetro stuff is excellent.