1.2 kg peeled, deseeded & diced Pumpkin
Seasoning
500 ml Chicken Stock
500 ml Water
1/2 tsp grated Nutmeg (opt)
400 ml can Coconut Cream
Melt butter & oil in heavy base saucepan
Add onion & garlic & saute` until clear
Add pumpkin, seasoning & continue to cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
Add stock, water & nutmeg & simmer with lid on until pumpkin is sofr
Remove from heat & add Coconut Cream
Allow to cool then blend

themooman, Jun 10, 9:48am
This is one from Simon & Alison Holst
Pumpkin soup served with a chunk of crusty bread still makes a great easy meal. This version is given a slight twist with the addition of a hint of Thai red curry paste and some coconut cream to make it especially smooth. My changes in brackets.

Preparation and cooking: 40 minutes
Cost: $6.50 ($0.90 per serving)
For 6-8 servings:
2 Tbsp olive or canola oil
2 medium onions, diced
1-2 Tbsp red curry paste* ( I use green)
1 kg peeled and seeded pumpkin (or butternut squash)
500g kumara, peeled (I use 2 med & 2 med carrots)
3 cups hot water (4 cups)
3 tsp instant chicken or vegetable stock (2 vegetarian chicken stock cubes)
1 cup coconut cream (1 can coconut milk)
1/2-1 tsp salt ( 1 tbsp soy sauce)

*Vary the quantity to taste you can also replace this with curry powder if you like

Heat the oil in a very large pot, then add the roughly diced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened, then add the curry paste (or powder) and cook for 1-2 minutes longer stirring frequently.

While the onion cooks, cut the pumpkin (or squash) and kumara into chunks 2-3cm thick. When the curry paste is cooked, add these to the pan along with the water. Stir to combine, then cover the pot with a close fitting lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the pumpkin and kumara are very soft.

Working in appropriate sized batches transfer the soup mixture to a blender or food processor and process until very smooth. Return the processed soup to the pot, then add the coconut cream and salt to taste.

Serve immediately garnished with a swirl of additional coconut (or regular) cream, or reheat when required. Leftovers freeze well.

joybells2, Jun 10, 8:58pm
Roast the pumpkin in oven first, gives it more flavour.

fifie, Jun 11, 1:57am
Ive tried a zillion recipes for pumpkin soup over the years and roasting the pumpkin onions garlic till they start to caramelise comes out on top for flavour for me, then i fill up the slow cooker and it cooks itself all day.

jessie981, Jun 11, 7:33am
Maybe will try the roasting. Woke up & had the wicked hearthburn. Friend said garlic & chicken stock can sometimes cause

nauru, Jun 3, 7:00pm
A touch of cumin & curry powder is nice in any Pumpkin soup. Great served with curry & onion bread too.