Silverbeet - how to store and cook besides boil?

Page 1 / 2
fuzzychow, Jun 29, 2:41am
Hi there, I have recently moved in with a relative who loves the stuff and buys truckloads of it once a week with the expectation that it will last that long. Trouble is, it really only lasts 2-3 days in said relative's fridge and up to half of it has to be pitched before each shop. He likes it boiled, but I see little sense in boiling small quantities to death every night (if it hasn't already died in the fridge) and pouring what goodness is left down the sink with the water. Can anyone suggest the best way to store silverbeet, ways it can be cooked to retain nutrition and textture, and recipes that silverbeet can be bulk-cooked in and frozen to get around the storage/waste issue? Thanks :)

lilyfield, Jun 29, 2:56am
i freeze mine whole, then crunch up and steam if and when needed. No blanching first.

reba1, Jun 29, 3:05am
I do that with cabbage, love big drumhead cabbage for cole slaw, but end up lots left over, steam it or a handful in soup with other vegie bits and pieces "waste not want not"

rainrain1, Jun 29, 3:30am
It probably keeps longer out of the fridge, leave the stems on and store it in a jar with a bit of water. To freeze, chop it up and wilt it down, cool, then pack down and freeze in blocks. Put all into a plastic bag once frozen.

petal1955, Jun 29, 6:45am
Creamed Silverbeet & Horseradish

600g silverbeet, stems and leaves separated
Stock cube (chicken or Veggie) dissolved in ½ cup water
4 tablespoons creamed horseradish
1 cup cream
½ cup Sour Cream
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Finely chop the silverbeet leaves.

Place water and stock cube in a large saucepan. Add the silverbeet, cover and place on high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until wilted and soft. Pour into a colander and squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible. Put the silverbeet back in the saucepan and add the horseradish and the sour cream and cream. Stir and simmer with the lid off for a couple more minutes.

Remove from the heat and blitz with a wand blender or similar. I like to keep it a little chunky and rustic. Season and keep warm until required.

fuzzychow, Jun 29, 9:26am
Thanks lilyfield, reba1, rainrain1 and petal1955! :)

dk33, Jun 29, 7:06pm
Can't give any hints on storing but I chop mine up and saute it in a bit of oil or butter with nutmeg. Or with garlic. Or chopped bacon. I also chop the leaves up raw and mix it into salads. It's especially nice in grain salads like pearl barley or couscous or bulghur wheat.

Another good way to use up lots of it is to mix it with a cheese sauce and some toasted chopped nuts (you can also add in other chopped greens like broccoli or Brussels sprouts), top wifh cheese and bake it in the oven. This is a nice main course too.

lythande1, Jun 29, 7:08pm
Thats silly. Why not plant some? You don't have to have a garden, a bucket would do, the stuff grows anywhere, it doesn't care what conditions it has.
Sun, shade.
It grows like a weed, in no time he'd have masses of the stuff.
Put in 3 or 4 plants and watch it grow like a pine tree.

samanya, Jun 29, 10:19pm
I agree with lythande1 it's very easy to grow & may be worth considering for an ongoing supply.
I'm not a huge fan of silver beet boiled but courtesy Digby Law & his vegetable cookbook . this is one of my favourites

Silver Beet Mould
Melt 2 tabs butter in a saucepan & stir in 2 tabs flour. Remove from heat & stir in 1/2 cup milk, return to heat until thickened (it will be very thick) Add 1.5 cups cooked SB greens, salt & pepper & 1 tsp grated onion.
Cool a little then stir in 3 beaten egg yolks.
Fold in 3 stiffly beaten egg whites.
Pour into a well greased ring tin, place in a pan of hot water & bake around 180 C for about 30 mins or until firm.
The centre can be filled with creamed fish or vegetables.
I sometimes add grated carrots & vary flavourings.

There are some good recipes out there for silver beet tarts too

beaker59, Jun 29, 11:49pm
Silverbeet is great layered into a Lasagne you don't have to cook it first.

Everyone should have a few plants in the garden which as has been said above can be as simple as planting some in a bucket of dirt then there's always a few leaves to go and pick any time you like. seeds are cheap but some outdoor centers have punnets of half a dozen plants for as little as 99c. If you let it go to seed then it will keep coming up as a weed for years, in my garden I weed it out but select a few seedlings every now and then and move them to a desirable spot to grow through to maturity.

tasmum, Jun 30, 4:46am
If you go onto www.healthyfoodguide.co.nz and search for vege stack pie, you will find a wonderful recipie using silverbeet, pumpkin, chilli beans layered in tortillas. Easy to make and freezes. if you happen to be lucky to have any leftover!

ruby2shoes, Jun 30, 5:34am
1. wash 1.5 kg silverbeet, trim leaves from stalks. Place leaves in large saucepan with some pepper and salt, sprig of rosemary. 1/2 TBSP butter, 1 clove garlic. Cover and cook until silverbeet is tender.
Remove rosemary, drain silverbeet well. Chop it in the saucepan,add rest of butter, and more p&s if necessary. I add feta cheese. Serve hot.
2. Saute 1 large onion in 1 dsp onion or oil in saucepan. When golden, add finely chopped silverbeet or spinach (1 or 2 bunches), cook 5 or 6 mins. Cut 3 or 4 tomatoes into small pieces (out of season, I add 1/2 to 1 tin of tomatoes, according to taste), add to silverbeet mixture with 3 or 4 leaves basil (or 1/2 to 1 tsp dried) and 1 tsp sea salt and good shake of black pepper. Cook only a few minutes.
These are my fav silverbeet recipes.
I wash picked silverbeet and keep in a plastic bag in the fridge. For up to a week.
Silverbeet (or greens soup) is also a goodie, google for that one.

yjeva, Jun 30, 5:38am
I saute mine in a bit of butter and sprinkle grated cheese over the top.

samanya, Jun 30, 5:52am
The mention of soup reminded me
Silver beet soup is lovely too.
I can't give exact quantities because I got the recipe from a friend & didn't write it down, so it's evolved over time according to the quantity I need ;o)
Basically saute onion/garlic with curry powder & bacon to taste then slightly wilt a heap of green parts of SB or spinach & then blend with either a stick blender or food processor & add to a fairly thin white roux sauce.
I sometimes use a milk/chicken stock blend to make the roux.
Sorry I'm not more specific, but it's one of those 'fly by the seat of your pants' things . but it is yummy.

ruby2shoes, Jun 30, 5:53am
lol. made mine look like a story!

kirmag, Jun 30, 5:55am
a good knob of butter amd some garlic in the fry pan and let it wilt down with the lid on for a few minutes. Simple and yum.

niffer13, Jul 1, 12:01am
A dash of mint sauce to the boiled SB is yum!

ritebuy, Jul 1, 6:04am
llemon juice sprinkled over cooked s/beet is delish as is curry powder sprinkled over carrots makes them very tasty.

punkinthefirst, Jul 2, 4:01am
To cook. wash, shake off excess water, put in a heavy, lidded pan with a little butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cook fast with the lid on and serve however you like it.
Raw - it is delicious in a salad. Rip up the washed and dried leaves. Mix with boiled egg quarters, thinly sliced red onion, cashews, orange or mandarin segments (or chopped sharp-tasting apple). You can add garlic croutons if you like them, for a change. Dress with your favourite creamy dressing (Ranch is good).

jia5, Jul 2, 5:00am
Sauted in a bit of butter and a splash or two of balsamic vinegar.

rai5, Jul 2, 9:33am
Definitely grow your own and then just cut what you need on the day. A punnet of 6 plants will keep you going. Far more economical and fresh. It will grow just about anywhere.

leebee35, Jul 2, 12:43pm
I have an amazing quiche type dish. such cant find the recipes coz it's in mag. It had mint and lemon zest, lots of eggs and feta cheese. I promise I will hunt it out because I loved it.

leebee35, Jul 2, 12:43pm
P.s it grows like a weed. I also put it in babby veggies. we still love it them. hehe

lilyfield, Jul 2, 10:48pm
Sautéed with some chillisauce

rainrain1, Jul 3, 12:14am
CREAM OF SILVERBEET SOUP (Des Brittens book)
450gr silverbeet with white stalks removed
1 onion finely chopped
25 gr butter
1 Tblsp flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
few drops lemon juice
2 Tblsp yoghurt
some finely chopped walnuts
Wash and chop silverbeet, soften the onion in the butter over a low heat,
add the silverbeet and cook gently until it is just soft. Add the flour.
Scald the milk and add to the silverbeet mixture, stirring constantly until thick.
Add the stock and seasoning and cook for a few more minutes. Blend altogether. Before serving, reheat and add the lemon juice and yoghurt. Garnish with the walnuts