Silverbeet - how to store and cook besides boil?

Page 2 / 2
amazing_grace, Jul 5, 8:55pm
Potato, Leek and Silverbeet Soup is one of my favourites. Saute several onions and some garlic in butter (not oil), add quartered waxy potatoes, several sliced leeks and saute a little. Add chicken stock. Simmer till the potatoes are cooked. Add several cups of roughly chopped silverbeet, and simmer about 2 mins more. Season salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of pesto on top

amazing_grace, Jul 5, 8:57pm
Also love SPANAKOPITA, this is how my greek friend makes it using NZ ingredients. In a big bowl combine some pre-sauteed onions, 1 pottle cottage cheese, 4 eggs, 2cups pre wilted and squeezed spinach, 1/2t nutmeg, salt/pepper, and 2cups grated cheddar cheese. Brush sheets of filo with butter and layer into a dish. Add the filling. Bake about 30 mins till golden, and the filling has set

gardner8, Jul 6, 4:43am
same as rainrain leave stalks on and put in water, change water every other day, and it will keep as good as, we take some to daughters and thats how she keeps it fresh, a quiche can be nice, we have ours mashed in with the potatoes thats the only way hubby will eat it

ange164, Jul 6, 5:00am
commonly I stirfry it with a little garlic and finely sliced cabbage. a dash of sweet chilli sauce if you like it at the end of cooking is nice.
Or I cook it in the steamer on top of my potatos and mash it in with my potatos.
Sometimes I make a quiche and put shredded silverbeet in that.
Or if I make lasange I'll do a silver beet layer.
It also gets put into casseroles/soups/cottage pie type things.
I don't really like the stuff, I just eat it because I know it's good for me.
I also shred it finely into coleslaw or salad.

Mine lasts a week if I just make sure it's air tight in a plastic bag.

uli, Jul 8, 3:30am
Yes - 1st do NOT "boil" it and then decant the cooking water.

2nd here is what I would do:
My idea would be to wash it all as it arrives (yes I know lots of work - but faster than anything else) - then chop it.

Fry several chopped onions in oil or another fat, add the chopped silver beet - white stems first - after 10 minutes add greens - and whatever else you want (could be garlic, ham or bacon, herbs etc). 10 minutes later everything should be cooked.

Now use whatever you want to use for this day's recipe - and then freeze the rest for later days/weeks. This means you need a freezer or small freezing unit in fridge - use small slider bags or similar.

You will have an instant "greens" part of your daily menu - plus - you are not wasting any of the lovely greens at all. Plus once washed, cleaned, chopped and pre-cooked it is much less work than leaving it mouldering in the fridge.

Good luck -let me know how you get on :)

sampa, Jul 8, 3:45am
Don't use the stuff with the fancy hybrid colored stalks in your soup unless you have a particular yearning for pink soup. it's a bit off putting staring into all that pinkness.

gardner12, Jul 8, 5:19am
meer male in this household will only eat it mashed into spuds

kclu, Jul 8, 9:18am
Perpetual spinach is better to grow in the garden than silverbeet as less crinkly leaves makes it easy to wash. No insects hiding in missed bits.

tehenga288, Jul 8, 9:22am
Spinach / silverbeet soup from the Edmonds cookbook - yummm.

nauru, Jul 9, 10:20am
I do that to stir fried SB, gives it a nice taste. Another change is to add a little coconut cream just before serving.

nauru, Jul 9, 10:22am
Lol, yes I found that one out, didn't affect the taste just looked an unusual colour.

schnauzer11, Jul 9, 11:52am
That was my first thought, too.

mjhdeal, Mar 26, 5:11pm
I do it like that too :)
Then occasionally, for creamed silverbeet, drain, add a dob of coconut cream, and with the stick blender, partly blend it. Then maybe some a few frozen peas and a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper.