A recipe for cheaper homemade yogurt

Page 1 / 2
agave1, Sep 2, 6:09am
A big thank you for someone named lilyfield.
Now, instead of around $4.50 to make yogurt, I estimate her recipe costs me $1.70 at the most for a litre of yogurt. I use my ezi-yo yogurt maker, made it yesterday, and it worked!.
Here's her recipe:

I use 120 grams of skim Milkpowder. 2 tbsp greek yoghurt powder, seal the rest of packet and keep in deepfreeze. Add a litre or just under of lukewarm water, stir well and leave to set in warm place up to 12 hours. if you do not have a joghurt maker or suitable hot water cupboard turn your electric blanket on low and put container to sleep.with duvets on top. Just don't jump on it comes your bed time.

lilyfield, Sep 2, 7:53am
You are welcome

nruter, Sep 2, 9:49am
Had a flatmate years ago would make her yoghurt by just putting a quantity of yoghurt into warm milk, that in a warm place for a while - and all done. Would say after making a few batches all traces of additives and fancy yoghurt-making ingredients would be gone and you'd be keeping it going with a pure yoghurt bug and milk.
Sorry I cannot supply quantities, but know this principle is still doing the rounds.

sarahb5, Sep 2, 10:09am
I've tried this and it didn't work - all I got after 12 hours was thick, lumpy, sour milk - did make nice scones though

village.green, Sep 2, 11:31am
I buy Gopals yoghurt which is about $2.95 for large tub 750g I think, available in most supermarkets now - not everyones cup of tea as it isn't smooth, but it doesn't have any additives or thickeners in it and we like it, otherwise we end up paying $6 +. I used to make Easiyo and do have access to raw milk but haven't had any success yet in making my own.

flower-child01, Sep 3, 3:44am
I make my own yoghurt using this process -

How to make Yoghurt

Required:
1) yoghurt thermometer (not essential)
2) 1 litre full fat milk (either normal or UHT/Long life milk) I prefer Anchor milk as it makes a thick yoghurt
3) yoghurt culture or half a cup of yoghurt (from your own existing stock). For yoghurt culture in New Zealand I purchase mine online from Country Trading.

Instructions:
1) Heat milk in a pot till it reaches 85°C (nearly boiling). Note: if using UHT milk omit this step and just heat as advised in step 2.
2) Allow to cool till milk is around 45°C (warm). Add culture or yoghurt.
3) Incubate (see below for options). Yoghurt needs about 8 hours to develop the characteristic tartness. Don’t stir.

Refrigerate immediately for about 12 hours before eating. Yoghurt can be stored in the refrigerator for approximately 1 week; the lactic acid produced by the lactic acid bacteria has a preserving effect. If any Whey (clear liquid) forms in your yoghurt, just stir it back in.

From here onwards upon your yoghurt completion hold aside half a cup of yoghurt as a starter, to repeat the process.

Ways to incubate your yoghurt:

1 ) An electric yoghurt maker, use the directions that go with your incubator. Plug the yoghurt maker in to warm it up while you get the yoghurt ready.

2 ) Use a non-electric yoghurt incubator, the type which has a 2 litre plastic container or 1 litre glass jar nestled inside of a canister.

3 ) Styrofoam Cooler Method: You can use 3 wide-mouthed 500ml jars with screw-on lids (plastic lids, preferably), or even one large, wide-mouthed container, if you like. Place the container(s) inside of an inexpensive Styrofoam cooler along with 2 litre jars of boiling water (with lids– and the jar should not touch the yoghurt jars). (Warm up the cooler with the jars of hot water while you get the yoghurt ready.) Place the cover on the cooler and cover with an old blanket. You may have to add more hot water to the jars halfway through the incubation time. It works perfectly!

4 ) Use a thermos: Almost fill 2-3 large wide-mouth thermos bottles, the more expensive kind with a metal casing, with boiling water, heat for 10 minutes with boiling water inside. Pour out the water and add your incubated yoghurt at the right temperature. Put the lid on and wrap the thermoses each in two or three terrycloth towels, or together in a small quilt. Set it in a warm, draft-free place.

5) Use jars left on top of the waterheater.

morticia, Sep 3, 3:54am
We've made yoghurt at home in the easi-Yo with milk powder and starter for many years, then we found Gopala and ate that for a few but now Gopala isn't that cheap here any more at nearly $4/750g and they stopped making it properly over a year ago. It's not smooth and thick and creamy like it used to be for years, it's lumpy and watery and goes winey long before it's best before. We used to buy 3 or 4 every week, we seldom waste our money on it now. It's not even any good as a starter for home made brew either.

bikernutrr, Sep 4, 9:53am
Yay! Tried this the other day using my easi-yo yoghurt maker and worked well. Thanks. ;)

dreamers, Oct 22, 9:53pm
Thank you for this recipe.Love it ,it's perfect each time,though I don't add warm water ,just normal filtered water from the tap.
Thanks again to OP

uli, Nov 4, 5:49am
Easy yo yoghurt - 1 packet makes 1 kg of yoghurt.
Costs $3.49 at our local Pak'n'Save.
Cheaper than anything else you can buy.

If I have my own milk then I use a quarter pack per liter and my own milk - so very cheap then.

pam.delilah, Nov 4, 6:52am
make mine for $1,30 , 1 and 3/4 cup of whole milk powder placed in ezi-yo yogurt maker, half filled with water , add a sprinkle of culture stir well with a spoon and top up with more water and place in yogurt maker for 9-10 hours

wendalls, Nov 4, 6:54am
Hansells is delicious. Wouldn't buy another brand now I've tasted hansells thick Greek yoghurt. My 13 yr old daughter had it in a dressing I made tonight and raved about it. Saying she ate her spinach with pleasure for the first time.

daarhn, Nov 4, 8:14am
Big tubs plain full cream yogurt from local Indian Grocer under 2 bucks a tub. I drain in fine colander and make a really thick spread either plain or added flavours for dips, sweet or savoury etc. Use instead of butter/ mayo or marinade. Great for making nice thick labneh cheese once whey has drained.

mottly, Nov 4, 8:18pm
I've always made it using a small pottle of yoghurt. Costs about 50c for 2 liters.

glasshalfull, Nov 4, 8:25pm
it does work. All yours needed was a good shake to combime ingrediants to a creamy consistancy. BTW I used full milk powder and find 1 1/2 cups of milk powder to 1 litre of water makes a nice thick Greek stlye yogurt. Once eaten used the remainder of yougurt left around the jar, refill with ingredients and set aside in a warm place again.

glasshalfull, Nov 4, 8:27pm
makes little difference. The recipe is for a unsweetened plain yogurt for the starter culture.

sarahb5, Nov 4, 11:57pm
Pretty sure I would have tried that but its a long time ago so can't be certain. I'm happy to continue using the packets of Greek yoghurt - I like the Hansells probiotic unsweetened but just buy whatever's cheapest usually

uli, Nov 5, 12:11am
What is a "big tub" in kilos?
Can't compare apples to pears really.

Easy yo yoghurt - 1 packet makes 1 kg of thick "Greek style" yoghurt. (REAL Greek yoghurt is of course made from sheep milk)
Costs $3.49 at our local Pak'n'Save.
Cheaper than anything else you can buy.

So "under $2 a tub" it could well be about 4 to 5 dollars a kilo .

sarahb5, Nov 5, 1:00am
I tried the gopala yoghurt - too runny and mild/bland for my tastes, like my yoghurt to have a bit of tang

standard, Nov 5, 7:55am
Help please, where would I find Greek yoghurt POWDER in the supermarket?
Thanks

geldof, Nov 5, 7:59am
ezi-yo sachets

standard, Nov 5, 8:25am
THANKS geldof

trigal1, Nov 5, 8:54am
For those of you interested, there is a trader in Canterbury selling a nice sachet yoghurt powder on here. The original one is my favourite. Just use your yoghurt maker. If you're anything like me, once you've tried it you'll think that easiyo is just yucky slops. I also find Hansells much nicer than easiyo
I find, with any brand, that I have to put an insulating layer on the yoghurt maker over winter. I use a chilli bag for carrying wine bottles, turn it upside-down and put over top of the maker.

sarahb5, Nov 5, 10:17am
I buy whichever packet is cheapest - no brand loyalty here - and always turns out fine, winter or summer

schnauzer11, Nov 5, 6:32pm
I've never bought any kind of yog- powder.Just milk, milk powder and a spoon of previous yoghurt batch.