Rice COokers

vonkrum, Jan 1, 1:08am
I have never used a rice cooker but tempted to buy one as we do eat a lot of rice.Can anyone recommend a good reliable brand to purchase.

lilyfield, Jan 1, 1:44am
Pot of water.

kiwitrish, Jan 1, 1:48am
I have tried a few rice cookers but I find the best method for me is into a pot put one cup of rice, add two cups of water and stir.Put a lid on the pot and bring to the boil.Turn off heat.Leave lid on for about 15-20 minutes and then you have nice fluffy rice.Works every time.

knowsley, Jan 1, 2:15am
I have had a Panasonic for many, many years. It gets frequent use. While I agree that making it on a stovetop is pretty simple and works well, it is far easier to do it in the rice cooker, freeing up an element on the stove and the need to watch it. Usually when we cook Asian, we will do 2-3 main dishes to have with rice, so the stove top is cluttered.

duckmoon, Jan 1, 4:18am
Love my rice cooker.
It's non-stick is peeling, and i think it should be replaced.

I asked my elderly Chinese friend what I should look for when I replace it and he said "price"

duckmoon, Jan 1, 4:20am
Pot is easy, but rice cooker is stress free
Doesn't need any attention,
I will also do thing like put the rice on, before collecting the kids from their after school activity.
I would never do that withrice in a pot

vonkrum, Jan 1, 4:24am
thanks knowsley, I will have a look at the Panasonic.I can cook rice in the pot but as you say sometimes it would be nice to have all the hobs available for other things whilst the rice is cooking and I can put it on and not have to worry about it.I was looking at some of the recipes like davidt4's recipe for date rice (maroccan) I think from memory and someone said that it can be made in a rice cooker.Just didn't want to go and buy one that is crap.

sarahb5, Jan 1, 4:27am
Mine is about the cheapest but they are often on special at Briscoes - of course!

tarawera99, Jan 1, 4:46am
I have a cheapy from Harvey Normans, and use it all the time. Good for brown rice too

gaspodetwd, Jan 1, 5:36am
Rice cookers are so easy! I have a kambrook. It was cheap Nd does the job perfectly. I would never try rice in a pot again. It's just gluggy and not fluffy.

charlieb2, Jan 1, 6:05am
I love my rice cooker and would not ever go back to cooking rice any other way.

I've had a breville and a kambrook, both fine

toadfish, Jan 1, 6:11am
Breville +1

ibcreative, Jan 1, 6:31am
Likewise,just stick the rice & water in and forget about it and rice comes out perfect every time.

pgta, Jan 1, 6:38am
I have a microwave one - perfect fluffy rice every time.

Way cheaper and easier to store.