How to use up heaps of Rolled Oats

Page 1 / 3
gysmo1, Jun 7, 10:08am
Not porridge, and over fruit crumbles. What else could I do?

245sam, Jun 7, 10:14am
muesli? orOatcakes - recipe thanks to TM's amazing_grace. 120ml boiling water, 1 tsp butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 150g porridge oats - not the instant ones. Stir the salt and butter into the water, add the oats and let sit for about 5 minutes to soak up. Knead on a floured board - the more the mixture is "worked or kneaded" the easier it is to roll. Roll out very thinly and cut into shapes. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning over once halfway through cooking - they should be pale golden and crisp. Note from amazing_grace: " I like cookie cut rounds with brie, or pickle! Or you can cut round an upturned side plate and cut into triangles; if you do this it is cool to then roll the triangles even more thinly - the edges curl up when cooked which can be fun. ":-))

245sam, Jun 7, 10:16am
Oat Stuffing for Poultry 1 large onion (finely chopped), 2 cups rolled oats, 1/4 cup suet, 2 sprigs fresh thyme (chopped), 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Mix the onion, rolled oats and suet, then add the thyme, salt and pepper - the mixture will be loose; if desired, a little water may be added to combine. :-))

245sam, Jun 7, 10:20am
Muesli Biscuits / Slice 1 cup each of wholemeal flour, rolled oatsandcoconut; 3/4 cup brown sugar; 2 tbsp each ofchopped dried apricots, chopped raisins and chopped walnuts; 140g (5oz) butter (melted); 1 tbsp honey; 1 tsp baking soda; 3 tbsp milk. In a mixing bowl place the wholemeal flour, rolled oats, coconut, brown sugar, dried apricots, raisins and walnuts. Mix well, then make a well in the centre. Dissolve the baking soda in the milk, then add it to the dry ingredients together with the butter and honey. Mix well, then form the mixture into small balls, place them on a greased tray and flatten each with a forkORpress the mixture into a greased 30cm x 20cm sponge roll tin.
Bake at 180°C for (a) Biscuits 20 minutes or until golden OR (b) Slice 30 minutes. Ice the slice with vanilla icing while warm and cut before it is cold. :-))

245sam, Jun 7, 10:24am
Oatmeal Slice - recipe thanks to TM's rkcroft 1 cup each ofself-raising flouror1 cup plain flour+2 tsp baking powder and rolled oats; 1/2 cup caster sugar; 125g butter; 1 tbsp golden syrup; 1 egg (lightly beaten). Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar and oats. Melt the butter and golden syrup together, then add them to the dry ingredients with the egg. Stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into a lined baking pan. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into rectangles.
Variation: Dried fruitse. g. sultanas, raisins, dried apricots and chocolate chips can be added if desired – “is very tasty without them though”. :-))

245sam, Jun 7, 10:27am
have a look at http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=15&t=610 - if you like caramel cakes and slices, on that link you'll find the following recipes that use rolled oats: Wholemeal Caramel Slice; Caramel Oat Slice; Oaty Tan Slice. :-))

gysmo1, Jun 7, 10:27am
Yum! Im gonna to give the Oatmeal Slice a go tomorrow with some dried apricots. Thanks for the ideas. Keen to try other recipes noted too. Printing this off in the morning :-)

245sam, Jun 7, 10:30am
have a look also at http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=15&t=634 - you'll find more recipes for Muesli Bars & Slices there. :-))

crystalmoon, Jun 7, 8:07pm
add to mince... good in meat balls or meat loaf.

maximus44, Jun 7, 8:12pm
Anzac Biscuits easy to make.

ferita, Jun 7, 8:12pm
You can mix some with a few eggs some cottage cheese and a packet of your favourite dried soup mix and a dash of vege oil and put into a casserole dish and bake. It makes a vegetarian "meat" loaf.

245sam, Jun 7, 8:48pm
crystalmoon, of course- why didn't I remember this meatloaf that I always put rolled oats in? ? COTTAGE CHEESE MEAT LOAF - 500g lean mince, 1 tbsp prepared mustard, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 egg (lightly beaten), 2 tbsp finely chopped or grated onion, 1 cup (1 x 250g pottle) cottage cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Combine all the ingredients, except the parmesan cheese, then press the mixture into a greased 23cm x 15cm loaf tin. Bake at 180°C for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and top with the parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven again and allow to stand for about 5 minutes - for ease of cutting. Serve hot or cold. :-))

indy95, Jun 8, 12:34am
Using up Rolled Oats How about flapjacks? Easy and delicious.

gysmo1, Jun 8, 1:43am
Oatmeal Slice going into oven as we speak added ried apricots and a little choc chips - yum

eastie3, Jun 8, 2:12am
I buy rolled oats, add dried fruit - this week cranberries and apricots, enough yoghurt and milk to make a easily stirable mix, and leave overnight in the fridge. In the morning I give it a 20second burst in the microwave, just to take the chill off. Lately I have added gold kiwifruit as they are so cheap at the moment.

gysmo1, Jun 8, 8:18am
Well I love the oatmeal slice Kids not so keen, but hey more for us! Looking ofrwardd to trying other recipes

bev00, Jun 15, 10:51am
a bump

bev00, Jun 22, 11:53am
again for winter

happybaby, Jun 22, 1:40pm
use oats instead of breadcrumbs in fried chicken/prawns/schnitzels, etc

suecat, Jun 29, 10:31am
I put them into apple muffins with a tsp of cinamon and half tsp of ground cloves. Just halve the flour and replace with the oats so that they aren't too dry. Gives them a nice texture. Yum! ! ! They freeze well too.

korbo, Jun 29, 8:53pm
not a cookin thing BUT the birds love porride. i always seem to make more than i need, and put the rest out for the birds. they love it. I also put leftover if enough, in another bowl, cover with gladwrap and put in fridge for next day. it kinda sets and i think nicer. just warm for 2 mins in m/wave. ideal for person on their own. you can even do 2 days.

bev00, Jul 6, 10:47am
1 cup of left over porridge... goes into making sugar buns... bit like a rock cake recipe

dorothy_vdh, Jul 6, 7:48pm
I use rolled oats in my muffins, would you like the recipe?

amourette, Jul 6, 9:09pm
oooh yes I would please if that ok... ...

dalbyj, Jul 6, 10:41pm
Oaty crisps - makes heaps of bikkies! Oaty Crisps
Makes 4 dozen

100g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 cup sugar
2 cups medium rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp water
1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. In a large saucepan melt the butter. Add the golden syrup, sugar and oats. Dissolve the baking soda in the water and add to the mix along with the flour. Stir well and place in teaspoonfuls on a greased tray. Bake for 10 - 15 mins or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
(I often add a teaspoon of cinnamon to this as well, its yummy! )