Adding oats/lentils to meals

oooooowwwwww, Sep 7, 9:14am
say mince or stew etc. how much do you add per say 500gms of mince! a cup! half a cup! does it matter or can i just chuck in as much as i can! (if that makes sense) and do i need to soak them in water or anything first or just add them straight to whatever is cooking!
any other advice would be appreciated please.
thank you :)

irenew, Sep 7, 9:17am
You can make many delicious meals with oats and lentils without the meat too :)

245sam, Sep 7, 9:28am
oooooowwwwww, the following info'/recipe is from Destitute Gourmet Sophie Gray and refers to red lentils only.

"Red lentils blend easily with beef mince.To use the lentils as a meat extender allow around ½ cup of lentils per 500g of mince.Cook the lentils in boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
In a medium size pan brown the meat, add the onion and garlic, and continue to cook till soft.Add the remainder of the ingredients and 1½ tsp beef stock.When the lentils are cooked stir them into the meat sauce and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes until flavours are developed"

Personally I do not precook red lentils before adding them to the mince - I prefer to cook them with the mince and vegetables, then they in turn help to thicken the mince 'stew'.

Hope that helps.:-))

calista, Sep 7, 10:00am
I ran out of red lentils, so I boiled up some brown ones in stock, then added them to the casserole in the slow cooker .It came out really well amd made several meals - cheap too as it was shin beef, which is one of my favourite meats.