Frozen bananas and other fruit

samboy, Oct 28, 4:16am
I have heard that you can freeze bananas and then make them into an ice-cream.Has anyone heard of this, also can you use other fruit.Does anyone have a recipe for doing the frozen banana (or other fruit thing.Incidentally I saw advertised a newappliance on the market called a "Yonana" using much the same principle but would like to try making it myself without a machine.TIA

daisyhill, Oct 28, 4:42am
You can freeze whole peeled bananas in a plastic bag and then just whizz them up in a blender when you want them. I do that for smoothies quite frequently - it is just like using icecream but with less guilt ;-)I haven't tried making actual banana "icecream" with them but it's probably along similar lines.

Frozen peeled bananas will go brown and a bit weird if you freeze them for too long, but they're usually good for a few weeks anyway.

245sam, Oct 28, 4:43am
From earlier threads/posts.
"instant icecream 2 cups frozen stawberrys one bottle of cream one cup of icing sugar tip the lot into a kitchen wizz and pulse it .you have fruit icecream
Quote whitehead. (196 )6:21 pm, Thu 12 Jan #4"

"Peel and whizz from frozen = instant banana icecream.
Quote mwood (320 )2:37 pm, Mon 22 Oct #3"

From the former Trademe Cooks
"Instant icecream - to eat right away only.
2 C frozen halved free flow strawberries or free flow boysenberries, 1/2 C castor sugar, 1/2 C cream. Mince frozen berries in the food processor, add sugar and briefly blend. Turn off. With the motor running again, pour the cream in.watch as it mixes very quickly. Serve immediately.
posted by jaybee2003"

"Instant strawberry icecream.
2 cups frozen diced free-flow strawberries; 1/2 (half) cup icing sugar; about 1/2 cup chilled cream, milk or yogurt (or a mixture). chop berries into 5mm-1cm cubes. Fruit must be frozen hard, free-flow and in small pieces when used. Tip into food processor bowl. Work quickly to keep fruit very cold. Process with metal chopping blades until fruit is finely chopped (10-20 seconds). This is a noisy operation. Without delay, add the icing sugar & process briefly till mixed. With machine running, add the chilled liquid of your choice through the feed tube in a fine stream until a smooth frozen cream has formed. The amount needed varies from batch to batch. Stop as soon as the mixture is eveny textured & creamy. Serve icecream made with chilled milk or yogurt immediately, but icecream made with cream may be frozen for later use. Variations: Replace icing sugar with low-calorie sweetener, if desired. Experiment with other berries, berry mixtures and cubed raw fruit. Berries with many seeds are not successful and bland fruits do not make memorable icecream.
posted by letitia"

Hope that helps.:-))

buzzy110, Oct 28, 4:53am
The yonana machine uses only fruit. There is no need for sugar or anything else. It turns the frozen fruit into a soft, frozen yoghurt texture. I can achieve the same effect with my masticating juicer. It does require a special machine. I don't think that a processor or blender would have quite the same icecream effect.

I've done it on a couple of occasions and in my honest opinion, I'm not terribly fussed on the taste and if you don't eat it immediately, the texture. As it melts it takes on rather an upleasant feel in the mouth, a bit like eating ice cold snot! The bananas also have to not have been in the freezer for any length of time or the whole thing tastes and smells like rotten bananas.

This is just my opinion from experience. You may be better off using the recipes posted above.

buzzy110, Oct 28, 4:53am
The yonana machine uses only fruit. There is no need for sugar or anything else. It turns the frozen fruit into a soft, frozen yoghurt texture. I can achieve the same effect with my masticating juicer. It does require a special machine. I don't think that a processor or blender would have quite the same icecream effect.

I've done it on a couple of occasions and in my honest opinion, I'm not terribly fussed on the taste and if you don't eat it immediately, the texture. As it melts it takes on rather an upleasant feel in the mouth, a bit like i imagine eating ice cold snot would be! The bananas also have to not have been in the freezer for any length of time or the whole thing tastes and smells like rotten bananas.

This is just my opinion from experience. You may be better off using the recipes posted above.

samboy, Oct 28, 6:24am
The ice cold snot bit did it for me lol, won't be trying this.

samboy, Oct 28, 6:24am
The ice cold snot bit did it for me lol, won't be trying this.Thanks to other posters for ideas.