Ideas for Mussels in shells please

mattdylan, Jul 9, 9:30pm
I am sick of mussel fritters and steamed mussels in white wine, what else can I do with these delights! THanks

sam284, Jul 9, 9:34pm
Mussel chowder with a touch of curry is yum too!

kirmag, Jul 9, 9:42pm
Grill with some bread crumbs, parmasen or cheddar and some herbs on top.Serve with sweet chilli sauce.

mattdylan, Jul 9, 9:45pm
sounds lovely, do i need to steam first!

kirmag, Jul 9, 9:46pm
Yes I do a little to get them opened and cooked very slightly.Have known people who don't but then they like them straight outta the shell.

52many, Jul 9, 11:11pm
I do them like this.Steam open and remove from shell. Put back in shell. Finely chop an onion and tomato, removing the seeds. Smear a dab of crushed garlic paste over the mussel, add the onion and tomato, a sprinkle of any cheese (I use tasty), salt & pepper, finely chopped parsley and a dash of white wine. Grill until golden. Yum!

horizons_, Jul 9, 11:37pm
Fish pie. Chhesy white sauce, add diced onion, smoked fish, chopped mussels, crab meat, plain fish (whatever you haveon hand). Mix all together, throw into a dish and top with a layer of mashed potato and more cheese on top. Bake for 30 mins in moderate oven. Yummy.

sarahb5, Jul 10, 1:49am
Hubby cooks them in fresh diced tomatoes, chilli and white wine - delicious - but you can cheat and use two cans of Mexican tomatoes with the chilli already added

jag5, Jul 10, 6:16am
steam till open.remove from shell (mainly to detach) the pop back into half shell.mix up butter, garlic and chilli sauce.put a dab on each mussel and pop under the grill.oh so good.

darlingmole, Jul 10, 6:41am
steam the mussels open and make into a chowder (lots of garlic and herbs - really yum).
On Mothers day this year I had food poisoning from chucking open mussels the night before and grilling with garlic/dill/butter with cheese - tasted fantastic BUT the trouble is you never know which mussel is dead or off.I now consider it imperative to always steam them and throw the ones that don't open

sossie1, Jul 10, 6:42am
i would go for the gratinee, google some French recipes.
I hate mussels, but i had grilled gratinee mussels in France once.

nauru, Jul 10, 7:24am
Steam mussels until opened, remove mussels and place in half shell on baking tray. Chop up some onion, garlic and tomato. Cook in a little oil until soft, add some chopped basil and mix. Top each mussel with a spoonful of mixture, top with breadcrumbs and some grated cheese and place under grill until cheese is melted. Serve with salad and crusty bread.

simeon_, Jul 10, 7:38am
shell them fresh and uncooked .drain juice .sprinkle with sugar add a chopped onion and add spiced vinegar.

jag5, Jul 11, 2:11am
if steamed but un open.they are fine.it s the ones that are open BEFORE steaming that are the problem.

jandah, Jul 24, 9:11am
Shell mussels,then put raw mussel back in shell (I put half the mussel in each shell) with a big knob of cream cheese, a dash of chilli sauce and ground black pepper, fanbake in the oven for about 10 minutes or done to how you like them.These are really nice.