Leg of lamb question.

2young1, Jun 11, 2:13am
everyday leg of lamb. if you put in oven and roast for 3 to 4 hours would it get real pull apart tender or be hard as rock! ie just thinking of those jamie oliver recipes on tv where the meat is falling apart.or do I have to get certain cut of lamb!

davidt4, Jun 11, 2:44am
A shoulder of lamb is what you need.I get my butcher to cut a whole shoulder into four pieces, and I roast it for about five hours at 150C, uncovered for the first four hours.You can marinate the meat overnight if you want to add flavourings:we like a mixture of fresh garlic, cumin, paprika, olive oil, white pepper and cinnamon.

mike844, Jun 11, 2:52am
shoulder of lamb is quite fatty and tyhats how its so tender if you have a back leg you need to add a little cover of water just enough to cover the bottom of yoiu roasting pan. or add fat to the roast if the fat has been cut off your leg by the butcher,,,,dont have that problem here because hubby kills our own stock

sarahb5, Jun 11, 3:01am
Try this recipe - it really is absolutely fall off the bone tender

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/recipes/slowcooked-greek-lamb-20111019-1m4cc.html

raewyn64, Jun 11, 3:03am
I did a leg of lamb last night for dinner.
I put it in a roasting dish on a wire rack and put aabout 5mm of water in the bottom of the dish. Then in the oven at 160 degrees - put it in at about 2pm then at 4pm I put tinfoil over the top of it and pulled it out at 6pm and it was pretty much falling off the bone :)

bisloy, Jun 11, 9:17am
I agree with raewyn64 alot. So 'ditto' again. I always cook mine from frozen - that way I don't need to cover it and I cook at a little bit higher heat.

lythande1, Jun 11, 7:33pm
Depends on the temperature, cook slow and cooler for that. Blasting it for hours would make it crisp and burnt.