Use of unsalted butter in baking

eastie3, Jun 12, 5:09am
Specifically in a short crust pastry recipe I saw in the Daily Mail online today.My question is whether this is a matter of taste or would the use of salted butter change the result! Also,in other baking as well!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2156534/Chef-Eric-Lanlards-easy-guide-making-perfect-shortcrust-pastry.html

harrislucinda, Jun 12, 5:23am
nowillnotchangetheresultsto anybakingImakemyownbutterandneversaltit

pam.delilah, Jun 12, 5:25am
unsalted butter is used in baking as salted butter has an unstated amount of salt in it. If using unsalted butter , andadding salt one knows the amount of salt

poppy62, Jun 12, 5:25am
I always use the normal salted butter and notice no difference!As far as I am concerned, a bit of salt in anything brings out the flavour!

eastie3, Jun 12, 6:09am
Thanks for replies.I did notice a response to the above recipe,where somebody claiming expertise said that one wouldn't normally use an egg in short pastry.Is this true!

antoniab, Jun 12, 6:42am
I always use a beaten egg in my short pastry, but Im no expert :)

sarahb5, Jun 12, 7:14am
Putting an egg in pastry makes it richer - generally short crust pastry is just flour, fat, pinch of salt and ice cold water - to make it very short (ie. very crisp) it helps if you use half butter, half lard.

guest, Jan 11, 8:34am
A bit suresirpd it seems to simple and yet useful.

guest, Jan 14, 9:54am
My daughter, Pam Troyer, will be here from Apr. 29th to May 10th. She lives in Boston where she owns a Sonar and races and has taguht sailing.Is there anything she could be involved in while she is visiting in Sarasota?Actually, if you google Marblehead Sonar you will see her and her boat #492.Thanks Deane Bjork