SPONGE CAKE RECIPE -REALLY GOOD ONE.

heav3, Apr 27, 4:38am
I want to make my daughter a really nice sponge cake (2 separate sponges) with cream and jam in the middle for her birthday monday.I need something that is fool-proof too.thanks.

elliehen, Apr 27, 4:43am
This Never-Fail Sponge recipe came from the Foodie pages of The Christchurch Press - it's almost identical to the famous Fielder's Sponge :)

Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour, 2 teaspoons ordinary flour & 1 teaspoon baking powder

Lightly grease 2 sponge pans and put baking paper in the bottom
Separate 3 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix
Add sifted dry ingredients
Divide into 2 pans and whack each firmly on the bottom
Bake 180* for 15 minutes
Whack each pan again on removing from oven
Sit for 5 to 10 minutes before removing
Fill with fruit and whipped cream

reta2, Apr 27, 8:21am
I have only had success with one sponge recipe that is this one from "A good spread":
4 large eggs
225g white sugar
50g butter
10Table spoons milk
225g flour
1tsp baking powder
1 Tablespoon cornflour
Well grease & flour 2 x 20cm round sponge tins, Turn oven on to 200C. Beat eggs & sugar in a cake mixer for 15 minutes. Bring butter & milk to a slight boil. Sift dry ingredients at least twice. Add to eggs & sugar & mix by hand with a hoey spoon (not cake mixer otherwise it will go flat). Stir in butter & milk & mix thoroughly with the holey spoon.
Pour mixture into tins &give a good bang on bench to get out airbubbles (once is all required). Bake for 17 minutes, drop tins onto cooling rack & leave for approx 10 minutes before removing.
Sounds complicated but really easy once you have made it once :-)

jaybee6, Apr 27, 8:22am
Fielders is the best ever to make. Never fails but remember to drop tins on floor when they come out of oven. This allows the air to go through the sponge and it will not sink.Good luck.

reta2, Apr 27, 8:22am
Oh & I just use my trusty old handheld mixer.

kinna54, Apr 27, 8:44am
Ditto>
Used by my old mum for many years in her catering business, she was renown for her sponges and pavlovas.all made with a hand held beater.secret is in the beating! posting for you:

Classic “Fielders” Sponge Cake

3 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Fielders maize cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
Separate eggs.
Beat the egg whites with salt until stiff.
Add sugar gradually whilst continuing beating, and beat until stiff and sugar has dissolved.
Add egg yolks and beat in until blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and baking powder and fold into mixture.
Pour the mixture into 220cm greased and lined sandwichtins. *(sides lined as well.)*
Bake at 190deg for 15-20mins.

When removing from the oven holdthe tins evenly at about calf height and drop them onto the floor.
(yes! This releases air and makes the sponge rise.)
When cold sandwich the 2sponge halves together with raspberry jam and cream or jelly and cream.
Dust the top with sifted icing sugar.

Enjoy

debudder, Apr 27, 10:58am
Never ever had any luck with the Fielders sponge, my older sister who swore by it stood over me years ago making sure I did everything it said still failed.When my eldest daughter wanted one we tried 10 15 different recipes (we had lop sided pancake sponges with cream for dessert for weeks , was out one evening and speaking to a woman who owned a tea rooms, she gave me her recipe for my daughter to try ( sorry swore I would not give it out) and even I can make it, it is awesome, all I can suggest is try ever never fail one until you get one that suits.

gardie, Apr 27, 6:47pm
Never been able to bring myself to drop a cake on the floor!I'll have to give it a go now.

evorotorua, Apr 27, 6:50pm
When you say 'drop the tin on the floor" what does this really mean! Sorry to sound dizzy but I can only imagine a mess!. I am guessing you don't do this from waist height!

elliehen, Apr 27, 10:29pm
Actually it's a sharp drop from about 20 cm onto a bench ;)

The pioneer grannies used to say do it both before and after the cooking.When you do it before it goes into the oven you can see all the little bubbles pop on the surface.I think the idea is to prevent your sponge being 'holey'.

Alternatively, you can give it a sharp slap on its bottom ;)

tramore, Apr 27, 11:43pm
I also never had any luck with the Fielders sponge.we had biscuit shaped cakes!

elliehen, Apr 27, 11:49pm
Give the Press one I posted above a go and I think you'll succeed!I was terrified of sponges until I tried that one.

Now whenever I'm asked to bring a dessert I throw it together and fill it with whipped cream and whatever fruit is in season.Unless you especially want it to be round, it's easier to bake in a shallow tin (20 x 30 cm) and cut it half for filling.

kinna54, Apr 28, 12:49am
really! I have never had a failure.as I said the secret of any sponge is in the beating.and also the dropping on the floor! Also line the tin well, going quite high up the sides

sarahb5, Apr 28, 9:42am
Sponge is one thing I have always been able to make - I do always beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl over hot water though but never "bang" the tins.Works perfectly every time, and I love the fact that it's fat free!I just use the simple 3/3/3 recipe - no fiddling around - easy as .

PS:I double sift the flour as well

evorotorua, Apr 28, 6:02pm
Sorry Ellie, now I see you explained the 'drop' in an earlier post. Thanks though. I must get back into baking. My Mum emigrated from Holland and the baking I was brought up on is more European. I have been trying to learn more Kiwi stuff from my MIL for the last 25 years! I guess I am a slow learner. Love the MB too for this.

sarahb5, Apr 28, 10:55pm
Hmm - pretty sure the basic sponge probably originated in Europe - most European countries have a variation of the same thing and, of course, the Victoria sandwich (sponge cake with jam and cream) was named because of Queen Victoria's liking for a slice for afternoon tea!

bambi58, Apr 29, 3:43am
STick to the tried & true Fielders' Sponge, I was terrified of sponges too - in fact my attempts could have been used as dish sponges lol!
I haven't had a fail with the Fielders' Sponge, I think one of the secrets is in the folding, NOT mixing in the flours. Also dropping onto thefloor - takes out all the air bubbles before & after cooking. And NEVER grease the pan! Only line with baking paper. I only do the bottom and run a knife aroud the cake to loosen.

slaintewesties, Apr 29, 4:46am
I use the jo seagar recipe for a fabbo sponge works everytime and is also quite large

bev00, Aug 8, 10:57am
NEVER fail Sponge
I never had success with a sponge til I used this recipe 4 eggs.3/4 cup sugar 2 Tablesp.water.1 1/3 cups cornflour.1 heaped teasp Baking powder vanilla Beat the egg whites well Boil water & sugar then add to whites while hot Beat again.add yolks.beat Fold in dry ingreds Bake at 185 C for 15 mins USE 2 big round tins ( approx 22cms ) If you have smaller tins make 3/4 of the recipe. posted by scha

Never Fail Sponge
4 eggs,3/4 Cup White Sugar,1 Tablespoon flour in cup. Fill up rest of cup with cornflour 2 teaspoons baking powder,1 Tablespoon boiling water. Method Beat 4 egg whites with 1 Tblspn of boiling water until stiff. Add 3/4 cup sugar slowly. Beat until dissolved. Mix in yolks one at a time. Put flour in a cup, fill up the rest with cornflour. Sift with baking powder. Fold into mixture. Put into two sponge tins and bake at 180&degC; for 20-25 minutes. Drop sponges on bench when taken out of oven.
posted by pam.delilah

Quotewinnie231 (124 )9:33 pm,