What's your favourite home-grown cooking apple?

annie.nz, Jan 9, 3:00am
I'm after an apple tree, and would like a really good oldfashoned variety, preferably tough enough to handle a south aspect in Wellington.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2halls, Jan 9, 3:20am
Peasgood Nonsuch, the MOST fabulous cooking apples. They grow well here in CHCH so must be able to handle Wgtn conditions :-)

harrislucinda, Jan 9, 3:56am
x1
grannysmithishardybestforbaking

bernice1, Jan 9, 4:34am
I concur - Peasgood Nonsuch is the best cooking apple as it cooks a lot like an English Bramley. Grows well here in Oamaru.

rog.e, Jan 9, 5:11am
x1
Hijacking thread here with a question -

What's one that boils up fluffy? I use Granny Smith but liked another one that fluffed up when baked with a cut around the middle of the skin. I never see it in shops and cannot think of the name. Quite a large apple. Pale iellow-green skin. Is it a Sturmer? V

rog.e, Jan 9, 5:40am
Or a Ballarat?

harrislucinda, Jan 9, 6:02am
soundslikeasturmerrog, e

annie.nz, Jan 9, 6:48am
Thanks everyone - I see from another threat that Peasgood Nonsuch is available now - is that true?

And if so why aren't there any in the shops or on TradeMe?

I did have a cooking apple tree at a flat in Dunedin decades ago, huge apples, pale green (paler than Granny Smith and less bright), cooked up fluffy, and were amazing. Not for eating though, they were never sweet enough to eat raw. I thought at the time they were Lord Nelson, but can't remember whether this was a guess or not.

Suggestions appreciated, I'll look into them all.

annie.nz, Jan 9, 7:07am
Actually, looking online, maybe they were Bramley- they look right.

willman, Jan 9, 7:58am
Peasgood Nonsuch was avaliable at our ' Palmers ' here in Whakatane, last time I visited, try there if you have Palmers near you. I have the same apple tree, its a good one.

Golden Delicous is a good apple tree, also.

willman, Jan 9, 8:16am
Type in on your internet, www. te kahuri nurseriesThey have peasgood nonsuch and a lot of other good varieties of apple trees and other fruit trees.

annie.nz, Jan 9, 9:57am
Thanks Willman, it's a great link.

And thanks everyone, it's really helpful.

bernice1, Jan 9, 7:56pm
Peasgood Nonsuch cooks up into a fluffy deliciousness. They can range in colour from green, to with a hint of red, to red and yellow. Google them and plenty of nurseries have them.

elliehen, Jan 10, 9:48am
I've grown Sturmer apples especially for cooking, and always left a few on the trees for the wax-eyes who picked out all the flesh and left the lime-yellow skins hanging in the trees like paper lanterns. A very old-fashioned apple (might be hard to find) is the Rennet de Canada, which stewed into the whitest, fluffiest apple with the addition of hardly any water.

juliewn, Jul 12, 2:11pm
Ballarat are excellent for preserving and other cooking. . they stay quite a clear white when cooked and are a great old-fashioned cooking apple. I know of an orchard between Cambridge and Te Awamutu where they're sold - and it's worth a trip through there to be able to buy them each season.

Otherwise I use Granny Smith apples - and have just planted a tree. . great for preserves, chutney, apple sauce for with pork, etc. .