A Cooked Chicken !

grouch, Dec 31, 11:49pm
I bought a large frozen chicken which I have cooked for the guests but they decided not to eat it and my question is can I slice the cooked chicken up and re freeze it or not!Thanks.

red38, Dec 31, 11:53pm
The short answer is no I think - never a good idea to re freeze meat.

fifie, Jan 1, 12:01am
Use with salads or sammiesthen try this not sure who posted it but its good with hot crusty bread.
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE CRUMBLE
This is an easy, can be prepared ahead, almost all-in-one meal and a good way of using up leftover cooked chicken.

2 cups (360g) chopped cooked chicken
500g frozen mixed vegetables
1 x 440g can condensed cream of asparagus soup (or other soup of choice)
2/3 cup stale breadcrumbs
½ cup grated tasty cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Thaw the frozen vegetables and drain them to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
Combine the chicken, vegetables and soup in an 8 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley in a bowl, then sprinkle the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
Bake at 180ºC for about 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the crumble is heated through. Serve with e.g. baked potatoes or fresh bread.
Serves 4-5.

evorotorua, Jan 1, 12:05am
All hygiene matters considered, I happily freeze my cooked chicken and use again in pies and soups. No problem. Would be a shame to waste it.

indy95, Jan 1, 12:17am
Yes, you certainly can, grouch, and you can also refreeze the carcass for making stock when soup weather rolls round again.

lythande1, Jan 1, 12:24am
Of course you can - what does red38 think Microwave meals are! Frozen cooked food.

korbo, Jan 1, 12:27am
I have a friend who always freezes left over cooked chicken, she is in her 80's and fit as a fiddle.

grouch, Jan 1, 2:21am
Thanks for that as would be a shame to waste it.

teataiti, Jan 1, 4:04am
freeze, Ido it all the time

245sam, Jan 1, 6:24am
fifie, thanks for posting that recipe and the feedback that you enjoy the resulting meal - I posted the recipe a long time ago after finding it many years ago in a magazine (Australian Woman's Weekly if I remember rightly).
It can be a very useful recipe, not only for using the cooked chicken but for adapting to personal tastes or according to whatever soup and extras (e.g. sauteed onions and/or mushrooms) that are available.:-))

245sam, Jan 1, 6:28am
grouch, to answer your question, IMO you could definitely freeze the chicken so long as it is taken off the bones.
To prevent the chicken from drying out in the freezer I suggest that the chicken is frozen in chunks rather than sliced, but there should be no problem other than that with refreezing the now cooked chicken - I definitely would not recommend refreezing an uncooked chicken though.

Hope that helps.:-))