Left over roast pork - what to do with it!

kuaka, Dec 17, 8:39am
Had roast pork last night, and although it was tasty it was quite stringy and I'm just wondering what to do with the left-overs.I sliced it very thin for a sandwich at lunchtime, but still have some which I'd like to use tomorrow, but how.I'm thinking I should mince it, but then what!

chatsmom, Dec 17, 8:43am
I do a roast pork and kumera dish: Layer peeled kumera and pork with kumera on top. Melt together 50g butter, 1/2 honey, 1 tsp ginger powder and juice of one orange.
Pour over dish, cover and bake until kumera cooked.
I also make it with pork mince too if no roasted pork in my house.

Pork and apple toasted sammies are yummy too!

kuaka, Dec 17, 9:01am
Thanks for that.Interesting how different people have such different ideas.I would never have thought of the pork and kumara dish, and it does sound yummy.Might have to try it tomorrow.

245sam, Dec 17, 9:18am
How about this cottage pork pie, kuaka! - substitute the raw pork mince for your leftover roast pork, minced.

COTTAGE PORK PIE
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cooking apples, diced
2 rashers bacon, chopped
500g pork mince
¼ tsp dried sage
salt and pepper
1 tbsp flour mixed with ¼ cup water
a further ¾ cup water
1½-2 cups mashed potatoes

Melt the butter, then add the onion and cook until it is soft. Add the apples and bacon.Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the pork mince. Cook until the mince is light brown, then add the sage, salt, pepper, flour-water mix and the remaining water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5-10 minutes. Place in a medium-sized casserole dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
Cook at 180°Cfor 20 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown.:-))

kuaka, Dec 17, 9:21am
That sounds good too, but I haven't got any bacon, and not going shopping again till end next week, so may have to go with option 1 and keep the cottage pie in mind for next time.

sarahb5, Dec 17, 9:25am
Spag bol is traditionally made with pork or you can make a pork version of a cottage pie - Jamie Olliver recipe

lythande1, Dec 17, 7:42pm
Next time, cut the roast in half and cook less.It' what I do with big ones.

lilyfield, Dec 17, 8:04pm
mince it- grate apple into it and make patties

cgvl, Dec 17, 8:31pm
my suggestion is have it either cold with salad or mince it up or chop very finely and add apple (sauce) and anything else that goes well with pork and make patties/meatballs.
When I do pork I add a seasoning that contains salt, nutmeg, ginger and cloves (ground) and rub this over the pork flesh before roasting. Gives a nice flavour to the meat.

cookessentials, Dec 17, 8:38pm
I just layer any cold meat with sliced onions, sliced potato and kumara, a few dried herbs. Just do alternate layers, finishing with a layer of potato slices. I pour over a can of chopped toms and make a gravy, letting it seep down through the layers then bake at around 170C until cooked through.

punkinthefirst, Dec 17, 8:52pm
Kuaka, when you carved it, did you carve across the grain! or with the grain! because that would make a difference in the tenderness of the meat. (Across the grain = more tender in the mouth).
That said - pork is also good in any old generic fried rice dish - either thinly sliced or cut in small - medium cubes. Its a good way to use up any small amounts of meat.

kuaka, Dec 17, 8:55pm
Yes, I cut it across the grain, but it was very stringy - and it wasn't big enough to cut in half and cook in two separate lots, it was more like an overgrown chop!I got the impression that because it was stringy it was probably an old pig, but it mustn't have been very big, because the bit I got wasn't all that big - there's only two of us.I thought it would be plenty for a couple of good meals, but looking at it today I'll have to mince it and stretch it to make a meal for tonight.

koreth, Dec 17, 10:03pm
Pork can be very dry cold.I slice it very thinly place cover in pkt gravy reheat in the oven.My children like it better the second night.However they seem to clean up all of the crack on the first night.

punkinthefirst, Dec 18, 3:04am
They're breaking pork down into ever smaller cuts these days. It is such a dry meat - needs a bit of fat on it to be succulent. Was it a skinny bit of forequarter!
I bought an enamelled cast iron casserole dish the other week to cook cuts like this (meat being the price it is) Have had great success with the meaty hock end that the supermarket butchers cut off the pork leg, just by cooking it slowly in the casserole, and, when it is cooked, baking the skin in a hot oven to crisp up the crackling. That much is a huge greedy roast pork dinner for one, or two more moderate meals - at a moderate price.and there's usually enough for a sandwich the next day.

kuaka, Dec 18, 10:23am
It was supposed to be a shoulder, but it must have been an anorexic pig, 'cos it sure had tiny wee shoulders, well it certainly hadn't been doing any bodybuilding.Anyway, in the end we decided to cut into the ham I bought.I didn't buy it specifically to have at Christmas, because we don't "do" Christmas, but because we find a half ham is good value for us, lots of meals and sandwiches for lunch, easy and tasty, and easy for hubby to eat - he has shingles down the side of his face and can't wear his dentures, so the cold pork wasn't an option for him.

fogs, Dec 18, 10:47am
mince the left over pork add an onion sage breadcrumbs and egg and make rissoles. Serve with oven chips and baked beans my family love it