Carb FREE recipes!

Page 1 / 3
uli, Oct 28, 8:25pm
How did you get on olivergrant!

carlosjackal, Oct 28, 9:42pm
I'm wondering if your body has gone into "starvation" mode. Try Googleing dieting-and-starvation mode and read what it says.I think you'll find it very informative.

olivergrant, Nov 29, 1:06am
Im DESPERATE to lose weight, and have been eating carb free for about 8 days. (Or so I thought). But ive been told the cravings should be long gone by now. Im absolutely craving though, honey on toast, muffins you name it!

I must be eating carbs somewhere! Or is the craving thing untrue!

Does anyone have any links to totally carb free meal plans or recipes!

sarahb5, Nov 29, 1:12am
Likely to be sugar you're craving but I'm really not sure it's possible to be totally carb free - you can reduce your carbs but there are carbs in pretty much everything in one form of another to some degree

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/page/BARCHIVE/expid/basics-carbohydrates/

I am doing Weight Watchers online and losing steadily (about 8.5kg in the last 2 months) and although by necessity I have reduced my carbs because they're high in points I haven't cut them out completely - I've replaced bread with corn thins, made pasta an occasional treat, replaced cereal and fruit for breakfast with yoghurt, fruit, chia seeds and LSA, etc.

olivergrant, Nov 29, 1:33am
Hi Sarah, I chose this diet purely because I was told I wouldnt WANT carbs after I did the hard detox, but its not working :-(

prawn_whiskas, Nov 29, 1:35am
Carb free! = MEAT

Try LOW carb.

davidt4, Nov 29, 1:38am
Zero carb is difficult, and there really is no need.Anything under 30g of net carb per day is regarded as very low carb and allows you to eat most vegetables.Keep a notebook and write into it everything you eat (everything!) You can then work out how much carbohydrate you are eating in a day.

It is most likely that your cravings are related to wheat, bread in particular.There are all sorts of reasons for this, and some people feel it more than others.Just keep control for a few weeks and it will get easier.Make sure that you are eating enough protein and good fats.Drink plenty of water.Limit alcohol.

wildflower, Nov 29, 2:06am
If you eat zero carbs where is your energy going to come from!You'll end up passing out from low blood sugar levels.

Try low carb.

davidt4, Nov 29, 2:17am
Our bodies use fat for fuel when there is no carbohydrate to use.This is one of the reasons that you will lose weight through low carb or managed carb eating.

olivergrant, Nov 29, 3:49am
Ok so I should aim for 40g a day for rapid weight loss!

Does anyone have any links or resources for what that looks like in meals/food!

carom2, Nov 29, 4:00am
google 'myfatsecret', this site is great, I am using at the moment, you can track your calories, carbs, fats and proteins, daily, very easy to use. Good luck

me-shell1, Nov 29, 4:35am

helen.58, Nov 29, 4:41am
Hang in there. Low carbing is so much better than other diets out there. I did it for a year and lost bulk weight, and never felt better physically. But I slowly allowed carbs to creep back in. and it is the high carb food that a) packs the weight back on, and b) causes the craving. I am a carbohydrate addict and I am never satisfied. So I just binge eat. You will eventually loose the cravings and the weight will drop off. As low carbing is now becoming more acceptable by nutritionists there are alot of recipes out there. I am starting back on it today, but be warned it has to be a life change. If you go back to the high carb food, like me the weight will come back with a vengance.

davidt4, Nov 29, 4:50am
It's a good idea to read up as much as you can about low carb eating, so that you understand what it is and how it works for weight loss.In particular you need to get an idea of the carb levels of various foodstuffs so that you can manage your carb intake without resorting to artificial products.

To get you started, here's an example of a very low carb day's eating:

Breakfast - 2 - 3 eggs, bacon, 2 mushrooms fried with the bacon, 1 small tomato.net carbs approx 3g

Lunch - roasted chicken leg and thigh, small salad of red onion, tomato & cucumber with olive oil vinaigrette net carbs approx 8g

Dinner - 3 lamb chops, 100g baked pumpkin with butter, 150g steamed cauliflower with butter or grated cheese, 200g spinach steamed.net carbs approx 15g

Total carbs for the day approx 26g

If you get peckish between meals eat a few almonds.Drink plenty of water.Instead of milk in coffee or tea have cream or drink them black.

buzzy110, Nov 29, 5:35am
You are probably still suffering from the insane belief that fat is really really bad for you and that saturated fat is the invention of the devil, put upon this earth to cause modern day people to die, the very next day after consuming it, from coronary disease. If you believe that you are doomed to return to carbohydrates because your body is craving the one thing it is not being given enough of - fat, and is, therefore, starving.

Do try and consume reasonable amounts of healthy animal fats. Stay away from unhealthy fats made by chemically extracting them from foods we wouldn't consider eating, such as canola oil, grapeseed oil, rice bran oil - you get the picture.

Leave the fat on your meat. Douse salads with olive, macadamia or avocado oil, add cream to your eggs to make an omelette, feel free to add butter to anything you like, make homemade mayo and bernaise sauce, eat pork crackling and duck and save the lard and duck fat that comes off them for cooking with. And so on and so forth. Buy virgin coconut oil and add ½ tspn to your morning coffee. Give up low fat milk. 2 tablespoons of fat a day should deal successfully with carb cravbings and you will still lose weight.

ferita, Nov 29, 6:48pm
Do a juice fast
It is a much healthier way to loose weight. Your body gets flooded with beneficial micronutrients and you detox and shed kilograms. You will not feel hungry and you can drink as much freshly juiced fruit and vege juice as you want.

You will look and feel a million dollars and even just a 7 day juice fast you will loose 3 or 4 kilograms.

No carb and low carb diets are extremely dangerous and unhealthy.

Do a search on the internet for
"fat sick and nearly dead"it is a documentary about an Australian guy who changed his whole life by doing a 60 day juice fast.

olivergrant, Nov 29, 11:49pm
Hi Guys, thanks for feedback. Ive not had any grain, fruit etc Ive just had salad and meat (with fat).

I fasted for 24 hours initially then started this. But Ive been doing it 12 days now and I havent shed an ounce! WTF is going on! My cravings are still here (even though im not hungry per se) and its all getting hard.

When do I stop thinking about muffins, toast, cheescake and rice!

BTW im trying to follow the Grok diet - but dont have access to free range/wild meat so trying to eat organic as much as I can.

olivergrant, Nov 29, 11:50pm
Ferita, I know I couldnt do a juice fast. Id want sustenance, to fill my belly.

vintagekitty, Nov 30, 12:27am
lifes too short to be unhappy. Eat what you want within moderation, exercise, be happy. Why limit yourself to life of limiting misery!. Have you read the posts on this board from those that eat low carb- they are the most miserable, snappy, sarky bunch out. Why eat low carb just to top yourself up with a ton of supplements you can get from eating a balanced diet. Low carb people smell, look ill and if you look on low carb NZ site's, still look porky and old looking. Why do it!.

sossie1, Nov 30, 12:36am
Hear Hear!

I was under the impression, and please tell me if I have got this wrong, that your body actually rebels against diets, and starts trying to conserve every ounce of energy because it goes into starvation mode.
As opposed to a "normal" diet, of just cutting down on stuff, you know, not eating loads of spuds with your dinner, and not eating cakes and biscuits etc.

Anyway, I am off to the local cafe for a panini.

olivergrant, Nov 30, 12:40am
If I could eat a balanced diet and lose weight id do it.

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 1:00am
well said.
OP, try exercise, even just walking 30 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times a week!Burns off a few calories, and more muscle will burn up even more calories, even at rest.Everything in moderation.Even if you'd like to stick to 'low carb', do it, but treat yourself once or twice a week to dull the cravings.

vintagekitty, Nov 30, 1:12am
yeah what she said above!.

accroul, Nov 30, 1:26am
Cravings! What Cravings!

MMMMmmmmmmm V, gimme V (SF please).
Considering what I've done so far today, I think I'm allowed one!

uli, Nov 30, 1:30am
Which is exactly how you will never get those cravings under control.

I would suggest to OP to keep a food log for a couple of weeks, you will be very surprised how many calories you actually consume!

Then I would suggest that you read up on low carb if that is what you want to do - and also check out other weight loss diets. Maybe you can get better results with Jenny Craig or Optifast or other meal replacement diets.

Just remember that you need to be able to keep the diet you choose going otherwise you will put the weight back on. It is no use to "diet" then go back to what you ate before - as that was the diet that made you fat in the first place!