Im after sugar free recipes for snacks

hungif, Jan 11, 1:48am
such as slices or biscuits for my 6yr old

many thanks

buzzy110, Jan 11, 1:56am
Can you expand your question a bit? For instance, does sugar free extend to natural sugars found in dried and fresh fruit?

If you want sugar free, does this mean you also don't want high carb foods like grains which are converted to sugar once in the body?

Will you be happy to have recipes that include artificial sweeteners?

Maybe you would prefer low GI recipes.

elliehen, Jan 11, 2:08am
Chocolate Fudge Squares (with no added sugar or artificial sweetener)

Mix 250 packet wine biscuits, crushed
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup raisins

Melt 100gm butter on low heat till just melted

Add 2 eggs lightly beaten, stirring until thickened

Remove from heat & add 3 Tablespoons cocoa & 1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Mix with dry ingredients and press into 20 x 20 cms square tin

Refrigerate & cut into 36 squares
One square = 8. 5 gms carbohydrate

bedazzledjewels, Jan 11, 2:14am
I think the wine biscuits will have sugar in them? Yes?

buzzy110, Jan 11, 4:40am
#1 has obviously lost interest.

And yes bedazzled, Wine biscuits will definitely have sugar or some sort of glucose/fructose/maltose/dextr-
ose/etc substitute.

elliehen, Jan 11, 7:55am
You forgot to mention the fructose in the raisins. I think in the absence of specifics it's safe to assume that someone asking for "sugar-free recipes for snacks, as in slices or biscuits" is asking for a recipe with no ADDED sugar (cf. uli's choc chippie recipe). And buzzy110, I think you must have scared the poster away!

elliehen, Jan 11, 7:58am
Found on an Anytime search in 'Sugar free biscuits and cakes' thread.

uli, Jan 11, 8:04am
Lovely recipe isn't it?

elliehen, Jan 11, 8:05am
uli, you forgetful ubiquitous poster, you ;)

cgvl, Jan 11, 8:44am
There is a diabetic baking thread here. I will bump it for you. Has several recipes that are sugar free and use substitutes.

elliehen, Jan 11, 10:41am
Thanks cgvl - I'm sure poster #1 will apreciate that. There's quite a lot of suspect 'advice' about diabetes tossed around on various Recipes threads, without a distinction being clearly made between IDDM and Type 2. I hope parents of children with IDDM will continue to follow the instructions of their paediatricians and Diabetes Educators.

hungif, Jan 11, 6:53pm
thank you all, had a child falling o ver emergency hence not returning back before now.

my daughter has a hugely sugar restricted diet. she cannot eat anything with more than 4grams ofany sugar or sugar equivilant per 100grams.

artificial sweetners are ok im told

uli, Jan 11, 7:59pm
hungif - if she cannot have sugar then most likely she cannot have carbohydrates - as they are converted straight into sugar in the body.

This is why buzzy asked above what sort of recipes exactly you want.

If a doctor told me that my child cannot have sugar I would remove as much carbs from the diet as possible. That includes grains, potatoes, pasta, flour, rice in addition to sugar. All these carbs get converted to sugar straight away in the body.

There are a lot of suitable recipes in the low carb recipe thread if you are interested. The diabetic baking thread has only the sugar removed, but still uses lots of carbs (flour etc).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=45

buzzy110, Jan 11, 9:05pm
Re: artificial sweeteners. It might be interesting to note that even though they are a good standby, I'd be very wary about feeding them to a child due to the cumulative effects that these chemically derived products can have within the body. Aspartame, for instance is a known carcinogen. It has also been found that it metabolises in the body into formeldehyde.

It might be better if you totally rethought your old and learned habits. Sweet grain based snacks will inevitably require some sort of sweetener unless you learn how to make yeast based foods like tiny pizza type things, crackers flavoured with seeds, cheesy straws and other similar products. You have to remember though, that these foods will convert to sugar once ingested.

Better foods to have would be small snacks based on meat, fat (satiates hunger better than anything else and does not lead to layering down of cholesterol and triglicerides if not eaten with carbs) and vegetables.

buzzy110, Jan 11, 9:15pm
Crudites (blanched vegetables) with creamy, herby dips made from cottage, ricotta or cream cheese or hummus would be a good alternative. How about hollowed out cherry tomatoes stuffed with cream cheese or a dip?

Cold meats rolled around a cucumber or courgette pickle. Sundried tomatoes and feta cheese in oil on a toothpick.

I don't envy you your task as NZers have a culture of making sweet and sugary snacks. Chinese and other Asian cultures have cuisines that don't involve sugar at all and it may be worthwhile investigating their recipes to see what you can adapt.

elliehen, Jan 11, 11:05pm
hungif, thanks for coming back with more information. Has your GP referred you to a hospital dietician? The nutritional and metabolic requirements of a child with a health issue need to be overseen by health professionals. At the very least, check out any ideas you get from here with your child's doctor.

buzzy110, Jul 12, 10:55pm
Yes. I agree with elliehen. Your child should have the benefit of a dietitian/nutritionist and all ideas posted on here should meet the criteria set out by said dietitian/nutritionist.