Sugar free recipes without artificial sugar

infinityjrc, Jan 13, 7:26am
I was keen to know if you had any recipes for sweets made with natural products dates being one there is also zylitol and erythritol and I have seen another one in the supermarket plant based that I haven't heard of before. I was hoping someone has experimented and had found some good ideas that could be shared.

buzzy110, Jan 13, 9:38pm
Yes I have experimented but quite frankly it is better to go without sweets of any description if cutting down on sugar is the aim. There are plenty of recipes around using date paste. I have used that as well but the recipes used things not commonly found in the average kitchen - chia seeds, cacao butter, dutch cocoa powder, coconut oil, coconut butter, sacha inchi and various super foods powders, along with nuts, etc. Flour, sugar, butter and all that other stuff wasn't included. The main appliance used was a high powered blender.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 9:56pm
i make some date bliss balls about twice a year when I have visitors and need to provide something.
Otherwise, like Buzzy says, I needed to get away from the taste of sweet. Now carrots and kumara give me all the sweet taste I need!

buzzy110, Jan 13, 10:27pm
Found this recipe by davidt4 in the Blueberry thread. Davidt4's recipes are always top notch so even though I haven't made it myself I have confidence that it is a goodie.

Nut butter Muffins (gluten free)

1 c nut butter (almond, cashew, coconut)
1 c blueberries
2 small bananas, mashed
2 large eggs, beaten
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cider vinegar

Heat oven to 180C. Butter 12 hole muffin tin.

Make nut butter if necessary. Whizz in a food processor until completely smooth. Add bananas and eggs, pulse to incorporate.

Add baking powder and vinegar, mix well.

Remove dough from processor and carefully fold in the blueberries.

Spoon into muffin tin, bake 10 minutes.

davidt4

infinityjrc, Apr 24, 7:49am
Hi keen to see if others are using sugar free cooking and baking and if you would be willing to share any healthy alternative recipes or ideas for cooking?

samanya, Apr 24, 8:04am
There was a thread on here a way back that had some great sugar free recipes, but I can't find it . maybe you'll have better luck searching than me?
I use date puree recipe from the 'Revive Cafe' cookbook if I need a little sweet fix in a main meal & of course there's always honey.

cgvl, Apr 24, 10:25am
diabetic baking thread has some but most use some form of sweetener.

I have started to leave out the sugar in some foods but it does take a bit to get used to.
Rhubarb stew with a sweet apple,
Custard and similar milk puddings I leave out the sugar altogether and useunsweetened fruit as the sweetener.
Cakes and biscuits I now use half the sugar suggested and there has been no difference intaste or texture.
Swap sugar for yoghurt on breakfast cereals.
Replace sugar with apple sauce/juice unsweetened.

lindyjack, Apr 25, 1:50am
An item on Cambell live last night had a couple who do baking with a different ingredient that was not a sugar substitute but sorry can not remember the name of it. You may be able to view item on demand.

buzzy110, Apr 25, 2:01am
Dextrose. They had a 20litre bucket of the stuff.

mumstu, Apr 25, 5:21am
Purred dates made into a syrup with a bit of water, makes a fantastic alternative.

aqua11, Apr 25, 5:57am
Dextrose is not the way to go, its pure glucose. Try Stevia.

buzzy110, Apr 25, 6:26am
Glad you said it. I would have been mired in accusations of one sort or another by now. However, it is good to remember that stevia is only used in tiny quantities and will not add bulk or 'scaffolding' to baking, like sugar does.

buzzy110, Apr 25, 6:27am
Perhaps infinityjrc you would share with us why you don't want sugar and maybe we can be more helpful with our suggestions.

juli55, Apr 25, 10:36am
Agave syrup?

alphadave, Apr 25, 9:36pm

leebee35, May 13, 9:55am
Yum will cook the carrot cake tomorrow and let you all now how I get on.