Gluten and Dairy Free Recipes

princesskiwi, Oct 6, 7:20am
Hi, I have a lovely friend who is forever giving me baking, she is gluten/dairy free and I wish to return the favour!Does anyone have any nice sweet kind of recipes they could share?
thank you!
*edit:I am not dairy/gluten intolerant hence the question!

marcs, Oct 6, 7:55am
I make this at the restaurant I work in

Raspberry & coconut gluten free cake

6 eggs
225 g castor sugar
190 g almond meal
70g coconut threads
250g frozen or fresh raspberries.
1 heaped tsp baking powder (make sure it is a big heap)

mix egg and sugar till well combined. add almond meal, coconut and baking powder to the eggs. Mix till combined. Add frozen raspberries and fold in.

Bake at 170 c fan forced in a lined 20cm tin. Depending on your oven it will take somewhere between 45 mins to an hour or till skewer comes out clean. Ice with icing if desired. Just make sure you use pure icing sugar.

If the top is browning too quickly, cover with some foil

marcs, Oct 6, 7:57am
there is a gluten free thread somewhere too. Just use the search box on the left hand side.

cookessentials, Oct 7, 9:19pm
There are some wonderful recipes on glutenfree kiwi
http://www.glutenfreekiwi.com/gluten-free-baking-recipes.html

donnabeth, Oct 10, 8:47pm
I need to make a sponge cake, but the recipe on the maize cornflour packet calls for a spoonful of plain flour. I can't find the specific instructions on any website.

I understand that the gluten is needed to help the maize cornflour stay raised. Is there another GF flour I can substitute? If it's protein that's needed, what about pea flour? Will the flavour be tainted with a small amount?

I made it with the plain flour for home and it was fine; without it the sponge rose well and looked good but sunk and went chewy as it cooled.

This is for a coeliac sufferrer so not even a speck of gluten is allowed.

angie461, Oct 11, 6:04am
1csugar
3tb water
4 eggs separated
few drops vanilla essence
1 1/2 c cornflour (maize)
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
Heat oven to 180. Spray 2 21cm sponge tins and line with baking paper.
place sugar and water in saucepan and bring to boil. Beat egg whited till stiff, then slowlyt with the beater running dribble in the water/sugar mix.. Beat really hard. add the yolks and vanilla then carefully fold in the sifted dry ingredients. Be very gentle with the folding. Pour into tins and bake 18-20 mins. On removqal drop from knee high square onto the floor, this shocks cake and stops de flating. Sandwich together wityh cream and fruit, dust with icing sugar.

donnabeth, May 23, 8:44am
Thanks angie461, I'm going to try your recipe.