Carb FREE recipes!

Page 2 / 3
malcovy, Nov 30, 1:32am
I challenge you my love to find a post from me that has been miserable, snappy and sarky.
I am incredibly healthy, a very good looking woman, mid forties and smell nice.
I never put anyone down because I really like who I am.
I enjoy food but have found that wheat caused me pain ie achy shoulder and heartburn and this I found out through eating low carb.I have lost weight incredibly easily and people are now asking me how I lost the weight and I tell them about low carb.
I'm not a fanatic, I do what works for me and I would never say there is only one way.

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 1:41am
If OP is insisting on going "low carb" and yet has some cravings, IMO there's nothing wrong with having a treat to look forward to every week.There IS something wrong with being miserable AND on a diet, lol!

prawn_whiskas, Nov 30, 2:10am
Would you tell a smoker whos trying to give up to have a ciggy every now and then as a reward to keep their cravings under control! if not why would you ask the same of someone trying to detox carb rubbish from their lives.

davidt4, Nov 30, 2:41am
Maybe, if you're six years old.You obviously don't understand anything about low carb eating and your suggestion is ridiculous.

olivergrant, Nov 30, 2:43am
Just some info. I do exercise. I have 6 horses, so caring for them is alot of work, and thats even before i get on one. Im by no means a gym bunny though and I rarely work up much of a sweat but I am active.

Meal replacement stuff wont work for me. I do not want to spend my days thinking about food I cannot have. This is why I wanted to try low carb because advocates tell me once I get past the cravings I wont crave it anymore, and can eat as much as I want within reason.

Trouble is im still craving, and im definitely not eating carbs. Im only having meat and salad with a tiny amount of feta and Oil dressing (no carb) and some cucumber. (no onions, tomatos etc).

Im not eating that much fat, and id put up with the cravings and hunger IF i was losing weight, im simply not!

My old diet was making me gain weight, id been the same weight for 2 years without gaining anymore, so what i was eating was ok I guess. What I was eating when I gained weight wasnt. (McDonalds and Takeaways).

What I need now is to lose it. Im struggling feeling like the frustrations of eating this way arent giving me any rewards.

davidt4, Nov 30, 2:58am
You need to eat plenty of healthy fat on a low carb plan.That will stop the hunger.Have a generous quantity of olive oil with your salad, plenty of cheese, and have butter with other vegetables.Eat the fat that comes with whatever meat you eat.

Good on you for making a start, especially getting away from takeaways.

uli, Nov 30, 2:59am
Yeah - I reckon every alcoholic and ex-smoker should have some nice "treats" a couple of times a week, so he/she is not so "miserable" (Never mind that all the people I know are never miserable on low carb).
Learn about sugar and carb cravings before you give advice please. Read up on it.

uli, Nov 30, 3:06am
olivergrant- it will take about a month until you are over the cravings. If you want to continue - then do NOT give up and do NOT follow the advice above to "treat" yourself with carbs. It is not worth it.

Eat enough protein and fat to keep you full. Even if you do not lose weight initially, make that change now and you will lose weight eventually.

Remember this is not a "diet" onto which "one goes" and then back to the old habits - this is a lifestyle change which will continue for the rest of your life.

Then go here:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/success-stories/
and read. Then click around that site to find lots of info and encouragement to keep going.

Good luck!

buzzy110, Nov 30, 4:11am
You will notice that the only snappy, snarky poster in this thread is the person who calls everyone who doesn't see life her way, snappy and snarky. Weird. I suppose it is good for a laugh though.

OP, eat more fat. I meant it. You will continue to crave food, not just carbs (which are easy so easy to crave) if you do not eat enough fat to control your hunger.

davidt4, Nov 30, 5:02am
And smelly!

bedazzledjewels, Nov 30, 6:03am
Olivergrant - re fat. This might be helpful.
Nora Gedgaudas has been lecturing recently in Australia and here's a 2 minute video interview where she highlights how important fat is to us -
http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/sydney-siege-ends-in-arrest/xtpf5fx!cpkey=f8aaf856-575f-48f0-be3e-e3c5d66e3eae%7c%7c%7c%7c

olivergrant, Nov 30, 6:17am
I am using mark sissons website thanks ;-)

Right so today I had nothing to eat (too busy) till dinner. I had sausages (2g of carb per sausage) x3. Two lamb chops, and a rasher of bacon that needed cooking. Plus 1/2 cup of cauliflower with a small bit of cheese!

I'm not hungry but I REALLY want a muffin!

Aaaaand I've STILL not list an ounce! WTF! COME ON!

knowsley, Nov 30, 6:36am
Eating low carb is no guarantee you'll lose weight. It is still possible to over eat, consume too many calories, and gain fat.

vmax2, Nov 30, 6:37am
Often when you have carb cravings it is because you have a candida issue.It can be fixed by taking a strong probiotic - 14 strains of good bacteria.Lifestream have a good one or Biokult.Believe me, been there, done that.Now no carb cravings.And eat tons of saturated fat.You'll need to get rid of all processed foods (sausages will have rubbish in it) and all sugar ( probably in your bacon).

knowsley, Nov 30, 6:41am
Some of the low carb diet versions have "refeeds" at regular intervals. Also, some low carb diets for bodybuilders involve carbing up in the weekends. So, I don't think having a treat occasionally is going to kill anyone. A reason while some diets fail is by being too restrictive, and when people start craving things they can't have, the desire can sometimes get overwhelming and ends up being a diet breaker.

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 7:45am
Carbohydrates aren't exactly cigarettes.Gosh, there are some REALLY grumpy people in this thread. seriously, have a chocolate or something.Not fun, people!

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 7:46am
No need to be rude.Low carb does NOT mean NO Carb, as has been well established. stick to grown up debate, instead of resorting to insults, please.

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 7:47am
Again.Carbs are not in the same league as cigarettes. OR Alcohol.what the heck are you guys on in here!What absurd examples you're giving!

knowsley, Nov 30, 8:27am
And what should appear in my inbox, but this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21802567 "A reduced-calorie dietary pattern including a daily sweet snack promotes body weight reduction and body composition improvements " ". a low-calorie, nutrient-dense diet has the potential to accommodate a daily snack without exceeding energy requirements, even during weight loss. This pilot study evaluated the effects of a reduced-calorie diet including either a daily dark chocolate snack or a non-chocolate snack on anthropometric and body composition measurements." So if it helps retain sanity, and doesn't push you over your calorie limit, there is nothing wrong with it.

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 8:41am
Exactly.And I'm pretty much testament to that research. I'm slim and fit, nearing 50 at a great rate.Nothing wrong with a muffin or a piece of chocolate every few days.And to equate a carb 'treat' to smoking or alcohol! Well. I'll leave others to decide the sanity of THAT reasoning.

uli, Nov 30, 8:42am
My daily sweet snack is currently 200g of raspberries and about the same in strawberries fresh from the garden. Does that count in your books LOL !

lyl_guy, Nov 30, 8:51am
Whatever makes YOU happy. I don't have the time or inclination to weigh my fruit, or my chocolate. but if that floats your boat, so be it.

olivergrant, Nov 30, 8:43pm
Im getting pretty confused about all these diets! Paelo, Grok, Raw, Low Carb etc.

GAH!

uli, Nov 30, 9:35pm
They are all pretty much the same oliver. Low carb by default or design :)

Don't go down the raw food track though - it won't work in the long term - nice to clean out an overloaded system (for some weeks or even a month), but unless you like raw steak and raw liver and raw eggs and fish for the rest of your life, then don't.

I really suggest you go the paleo/primal way and get some serious (but short) exercise in every day and in 2 months time come back here and show us yer photos! You will be as amazed as us.

And meanwhile stay away from the scales, as once you change your eating and exercise habits your body re-composes itself - and as you lose fat and build muscle your scales will show the same weight - mine sometimes even goes up while everybody says I have lost weight. Take measurements of arms, waist, legs etc if you feel you need some numbers. They will show more than the old scales.

Good luck on your journey.

olivergrant, Nov 30, 10:52pm
Thanks Uli.