How to cook boneless veal roast!

el-duderino, Jul 4, 4:47am
I'm trying this now recipe now. Have never cooked veal ever so am trusting you guys and me not to stuff it up. Wish me luck!

grannymum, Aug 22, 11:34pm
I have a 1.3kg piece I got on special & have not cooked veal before.suggestions appreciated thanks

davidt4, Aug 22, 11:35pm
x1
What cut is it!

grannymum, Aug 22, 11:42pm
Hi David, it is a leg roast boneless & has a net bag around it

davidt4, Aug 23, 12:19am
I would braise or pot-roast it as veal leg can be quite tough and dry.Give it about three hours at a low temperature.

grannymum, Aug 23, 12:40am
Ok thanks.Do I leave the net bag on!Might do it in the crockpot.

davidt4, Aug 23, 1:41am
If you take the net off the whole thing might fall apart!What is the net made with - plastic!Cotton string!Sorry, I never buy rolled meat so I don't know what to advise.I suppose if you take the net off and it turns out to be made up of various bits of meat rather than one single piece you could turn it into a casserole in a slow cooker.

grannymum, Aug 23, 2:27am
Not sure David - will leave it on & find out when cooked lol!Thanks for your help - will cook it tomorow & let you know how it turns out.

fifie, Aug 23, 3:10am
If you take net off it will fall apart with a net casing it probably isn't tied with string. Leave net on if made of cotton or string. If doing it in crock pot rub a little oil all over string and meat, season with S/Pepper frying pan on to heat up and brown meat on all sides. Put meat in C/pot deglaze frying pan with a little water rubbing all the bits off pan when it comes to simmer point tip this over meat in C/Pot. Cook when done remove, rest, covered with tin foil and make gravy. Tip juices into saucepan add a little white wine bring to boil thicken and serve with vegs of choice.

grannymum, Aug 23, 7:37am
Good advice fifie, thank you

fisher, Aug 23, 7:51am
Hey grannymum.all good stuff from fifie.but i would add a few things.
When browning the meat . add some fine chopped fresh rosemary and rough chopped garlic slivers, one clove will do.then I would deglaze the frypan with a little red wine. simmering with all the "bits' and then pouring over the top as fifie said.

devalois, Aug 23, 7:17pm
Add a chopped onion and carrot to the crockpot which will also beef up the gravy.serve with mashed potato . I do our mashed potatoes with cream cheese.or else LOTS of butter, and we love it very gooey, so use a hand-held beater. NOT for the calorie conscious.food is one of lifes' greatest pleasures, so we enjoy ours! devalois

grannymum, Aug 23, 7:40pm
Yumm, thanks Fisher & devalois, I am sure it is going to be delicious!

fisher, Aug 23, 10:38pm
well with fifie setting the benchmark. my afterthought bits and devalois's finishing touches. it will be stupendous.:}

davidt4, Aug 24, 1:41am
If you take the net off the whole thing might fall apart!What is the net made with - plastic!Cotton string!Sorry, I never buy rolled meat so I don't know what to advise.I suppose if you take the net off and it turns out to be made up of various bits of meat rather than one single piece you could turn it into a casserole in a slow cooker.

fifie, Aug 24, 3:10am
If you take net off it will fall apart with a net casing it probably isn't tied with string. Leave net on if made of cotton or string. If doing it in crock pot rub a little oil all over string and meat, season with S/Pepper frying pan on to heat up and brown meat on all sides. Put meat in C/pot deglaze frying pan with a little water rubbing all the bits off pan when it comes to simmer point tip this over meat in C/Pot. Cook when done remove, rest, covered with tin foil and make gravy. Tip juices into saucepan add a little white wine bring to boil thicken and serve with vegs of choice.

fisher, Aug 24, 7:51am
Hey grannymum.all good stuff from fifie.but i would add a few things.
When browning the meat . add some fine chopped fresh rosemary and rough chopped garlic slivers, one clove will do.then I would deglaze the frypan with a little red wine. simmering with all the "bits' and then pouring over the top as fifie said.

devalois, Aug 24, 7:17pm
Add a chopped onion and carrot to the crockpot which will also beef up the gravy.serve with mashed potato . I do our mashed potatoes with cream cheese.or else LOTS of butter, and we love it very gooey, so use a hand-held beater. NOT for the calorie conscious.food is one of lifes' greatest pleasures, so we enjoy ours! devalois

fisher, Aug 24, 10:38pm
well with fifie setting the benchmark. my afterthought bits and devalois's finishing touches. it will be stupendous.:}

grannymum, Aug 25, 7:49am
Well, folk, I used a little bit of advice from you all which wasso kindly offered & it was really delicious.I had to substitute the rosemary for thyme & deglaze with a little red wine vinegar instead of red wine ( oops, I polished of the last of it before I got the recipe lol!) So glad Fisher you recommended the garlic & herbs because it would of been too bland without them.Added carrots & onions & did brown all first as per Fifies suggestion & the gravy was wonderful. Also added carrots etc as per devalois suggestion. It was very tender & ready in 4hours in the crockpot.Will make again & be a little more heavy handed with the seasonings & make sure there is plenty of wine to add!many many thanks for your help