Feijoa recipes that don't taste like feijoa

witche, Apr 10, 11:02pm
Sorry I know there are heaps of recipes on here for feijoas but I hate the taste and smell of them but have them coming out of my ears, everyone is sick of me trying to give them to them, so I thought maybe there were some recipes that didn't taste like feijoas that I could make just to use them up.

davidt4, Apr 10, 11:29pm
Feijoas make excellent chutney.If you search this forum I'm sure you will find many recipes for feijoa chutney, but here's my favourite, from Alexa Johnston.

Roasted Feijoa Chutney
This is a very large recipe, which fills about a dozen jars, so you may want to make a smaller batch.
3 kg feijoas 
1 kg red onions
5 large sweet lemons
8 large green chillies
2 kg white sugar
5 tsp sea salt
300 ml cider vinegar
1 cinnamon quill
6 green cardamom pods
6 black cardamom pods*
2 tsp dried chilli flakes

Getting ready
The night before you will cook the chutney: 
1. Put the unpeeled feijoas through the mincer, or whiz them in batches in the food processor. You don’t want a complete puree, just a lumpy sludge. 
2. Do the same with the red onions and the whole lemons. (It’s a good idea to cut the lemons into quarters and flick out any pips first.) If you like a lumpier texture, you could just chop everything fairly finely with a knife, and I sometimes do that with a few of the feijoas and one lemon.  
3. Remove the stems from the green chillies, cut them in half and flick out the seeds. (If you do this under a running cold tap you will avoid chilli burns on your fingers.) 
4. Put the prepared fruit, onions and chillies into a large bowl with the salt and vinegar and pour over the sugar. Cover the bowl and leave on the bench overnight. 

Cooking the chutney
1. Preheat the oven to 356º F / 180º C. 
2. Give the mixture in the bowl a good stir, add the cinnamon, cardamoms and the chillies and pour it carefully into a roasting dish. The dish can be quite full since the mixture will reduce in volume as it cooks.
3. Put it in the oven and cook for 2 -3 hours. Give it a stir with a wooden spoon every half hour or so.  It is cooked when the mixture is a reddish brown and most of the moisture has evaporated.
4. Put it into clean jars, seal and leave for at least a week before eating. This allows the flavours to mellow a little. lIt will keep for at least a year in a cool, dark place. Makes about 6 pints / 4 litres of chutney.

buzzy110, Apr 10, 11:45pm
That is a fabulous recipe. Too bad I've already made my chutney and relish for this year but I will be using only this one next year. Can you tell me why you have the little star beside the black cardamons?

fuzzies72, Apr 11, 1:05am
This is devine, we make it weekly, sweet and doesn't taste at all like feijoas!http://www.grouprecipes.com/91723/feijoa-cake-with-cream-cheese-icing.html

beaker59, Apr 11, 1:10am
Just let them rot on the ground like everyone else does.

Seriously if you don't like them and have made a valiant effort to give them away then whats left can rot some people grow the trees because they like the plants themselves and its OK to just let them rot or let the birds have a go..

davidt4, Apr 11, 1:13am
I think the asterisk might have referred to a suggestion below to crush the cardamoms first, which I now don't do so deleted it.

juliewn, Apr 11, 12:51pm
You could give bags of them to your local Foodbank too..

daleaway, Apr 11, 11:53pm
Good idea, juliewn. Op shops in my area have bowls of donated fruit on the counter, too. Some sell it and some give it away.

flashmargie, Apr 12, 7:27am
I love fejoas and pay big money for them in the supermarket, they don't grow well in Dunedin, i'm jealous you have some to waste.

vintagekitty, Apr 12, 7:57am
I KNOW, I HAD to have some today, $9.99 kilo here

cottagerose, Apr 12, 8:14am
Or you could give them away as they are selling for $10 a kg and theres many a people out there who cant afford to pay that

witche, Apr 12, 9:04am
WOW $9.99 a kilo thats shocking, I sent a box of them down to mum in the south island cost me $9 and I posted her 3kg. Just hope they don't get thrown around to much and get all bruised.
I have been giving them away cottagerose

kervil_ave, Apr 13, 1:35am
I have made this cake twice in the last 10 days and my neighbour has requested I make her a whole one for herself, she is the size of a twig LOL : ) it is an absolutely fantastic recipe!The second time I put more feijoa in so it tasted more of the fruit but as the recipe stands you dont get much feijoa hit at all, it's just really moist.

guest, Apr 26, 9:45am
where's your cake recipe, pl?

jg, Apr 27, 2:09am
The * by the black cardomom seeds , in the original recipe means *available at Indian spice stores. This is under the original list of ingredients.