Feijoa recipe help please...

_heleni_, May 20, 7:10am
x1
I have a feijoa tree and a whole lot of fruit on the ground.
I heard that stewed feijoa on weetbix is really yummy but I've never made it or eaten it myself.
Could someone please point me to a simple recipe?
Thanks very much.

victrieve, May 20, 7:15am
You can use any recipe for apples, just substitute them with your feijoas.

_heleni_, May 20, 7:27am
let me admit how ignorant I am. I don't know when feijoas are ripe.
Do I peel them? When/how do I cook them?
I haven't stewed apples before either.
**shrinks**

_heleni_, May 20, 7:43am
Oh now I feel like an idiot for not searching for feijoa in this section. Thank you very much. I just don't want to get it wrong and waste them. I have well over 70 of them on my back porch that I got of the ground and there are still lots on the tree.

245sam, May 20, 8:02am
_heleni_, there's no need to "feel like an idiot for not searching for feijoa in this section" before you asked for help - you are by no means the first who has posted a request before doing a search.
I hope that those links help you and how I envy you for having all those feijoas which are not all that plentiful further south although admittedly they are on special at the moment at ? ? $3. 95/Kg (if I remember rightly). :-))

dezzie, May 20, 8:03am
someone mailed me this feijoa cake recipe, I havn't tried it yet, but I'll share it with the lovely TradeMe members.

½ cup milk (half cup)

2 eggs

1¼ cups sugar

1 cup mashed feijoas

1 tsp vanilla essence

75g softened butter

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

Place milk, eggs, sugar, feijoas, vanilla & butter into processor & mix until combined.

Add the flour baking powder, baking soda & salt & mix well

Pour into 23cm a lined tin (spring bottom if you have one)

180oC 40-45 mins.

Ice with lemon icing or shake with icing sugar.

victrieve, May 21, 5:39am
heleni, Feijoas are ripe when they fall from the tree, best when they are slightly soft when you squeeze them. I just cut them in half and scoop out the flesh.
A friend of mine had a Feijoa orchard a few years ago and she told me you can substitute any apple recipe for Feijoas.

alebix, May 21, 11:19am
Also, if you have used a recipe or see recipe you like that has banana in it, you can substitue feijoa for banana... .

dbab, May 22, 2:37am
The "awesome feijoa and date muffins" are tasty too. Made them for lunch today. Type it into the search facility at left.

diane8282, May 22, 2:57am
we made feijoa cake just followed banana cake recipe and put feijoas instead of banana was lovely and moist

nauru, May 27, 2:11am
Feijoa & Orange Cake
100g butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablsp golden syrup, 1 egg, 1 teasp baking soda, 2 tablsp hot water, 13/4 cups flour, 2 teasp baking powder, 1 cup feijoa pulp, juice & rind 1 orange, 4 tablsp brown sugar.

Process butter & sugar until creamy. Add syrup and egg, beat well. Mix b/soda in water and add to mixture and mix. Add flour, b/powder, orange rind and feijoa pulp and mix lightly. Put into prepd cake pan and bake @ 180C for 40 mins. Dissolve b/sugar in orange juice and spoon over cake after 40 mins baking, return to oven and bake a further 15 mins.
I usually bake this in a 20cm ring pan or sometimes in swiss roll tin and then cut into squares.