Homemade cream of Tomato soup

Page 2 / 2
falconhell2002, Mar 27, 10:13am
I did leave the skins on but strained it after using stick blender on it.That took forever, was so thick it was hard to get it through the sieve.I think I do things the hard way but I don't know how else to do it.

suzanna, Mar 27, 11:09am
Mmmm great recipe. Thought I would add my two cents worth.I never throw the scooped out seeds away but mix them into labne or cottage or cream cheese to spread on toast, sliced tomatoes on top a grind of black pepper and salt and one of my favourite comfort foods. But then may be a little odd as I like the rhind of camembert, brie etc whereas many of my friends cut it off. One friend buys brie in the large 'logs' (not sure of the correct term) and cuts off a good cm from each end before she serves it and tosses it away. I am often the lucky recipient. Anyone else into 'rhind'!

nik12, Mar 27, 11:18am
falconhell, following that recipe I would have kept the skins on as well, but I've made tomato soup a few times and I have always taken them off.Yep I've tried sieving it as well - what a pain in the butt that is lol.
It's not to major to take the skins off, put a few at at time into boiling water, then put them in cold water and the skin should just peel off - if not put them back in hot for a bit.
Suzanna - I totally love tomatoes, but just the seeds mixed into things! Isn't that really bitter!What is labne - and no, I like cambembert on a cracker with pate, but not just the rind lol

nauru, Mar 28, 7:08am
Yes I use tinned tomatoes when fresh get too expensive, I also add a couple of Tablsp tomato paste to my soup.

nauru, Mar 28, 7:20am
Hi fogs, how long did you dry your tomatoes for, and did you use a dehydrator?

nauru, Mar 29, 7:08am
Yes I use tinned tomatoes when fresh get too expensive, I also add a couple of Tablsp tomato paste to my soup. Your recipe is similar to the one I always use except I add 1 chopped carrot.I also leave the skins on the fresh tomatoes and after whizzing the soup I sieve it. I find it goes through the sieve much quicker if I use my soup ladle to push it through.

nauru, Mar 29, 7:20am
Hi fogs, how long did you dry your tomatoes for, and did you use a dehydrator!