Preserved Tomato Soup 'rancid' ?

pipilongstockng, Mar 1, 2:13am
Hi there ....... I'm curious about something I was told the other night.My friend said that the preserving of last years tomatoes, into soup, ended up in disaster, as the soup went off......rancid was the word she used.She then said it was because she'd used iodised salt ....... is this correct ? ...... I didn't go any further and ask if the jars had 'dipped down',or if she had used butter, 2 things which I would have suspected, before, iodised salt....anyone able to enlighten me...... thanks

245sam, Mar 1, 2:21am
pipilongstockng, I have no experience re bottled tomato soup as I freeze ours but I was always taught that for preserving purposes, iodised salt should not be used, and I recall that one year my Mum had disappointing results when she mistakenly preserved/bottled green beans with iodised salt.:-))

pipilongstockng, Mar 1, 2:24am
oh thanks for that 245sam....... she was so adamant (in a nice way!) that it was the salt, I didn't want to query it.I freeze my tomatoes too, and then make 'fresh' whatever I want, mid winter.I think things are nicer that way, and you're not slaving over the stove with everything, from the garden in summer.

36michelle, Mar 1, 5:00am
I make tomato sauce and the recipe specifically says 'non iodised' salt...I didnt know why.

cgvl, Mar 1, 7:29am
I've and my mum have had no problems doing tomato sauce using iodised salt.
BUT:
I do know that she has told me that only once did she try making tomato soup and spaghetti and both times they went off. Not sure why but I wanted to try to make some and she suggested that I freeze instead. Think it may be to do with the fact there is no preservative(such as vinegar) in the mix, rather than the salt.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 1, 7:36am
I used to preserve whole tomatoes in boiling water with a teaspoon full of salt - and in those days it was pretty much all iodised. Never had a failure, which I put down to the high acid content of the fruit and the fact that I was scrupulous about cleanliness and sterility in processing. I've never preserved soup, but I would want to know what else was in there and the method before I put it down solely to iodine, though I don't doubt Michelle's report - I've just not come across it in my own experience.

korbo, Mar 1, 9:16am
I have made tomato soup for 25 odd years, same recipe that i put on here a few days,maybe a weekago. I always freeze it as bad hands wont screw the bands well.
I have never had any go off, but never use iodised salt. Have a special jar in the cupboard labeled pres salt, and that is used solely for that.
my mil also made bakedbeans and spag years ago, and they all ezploded.
my soup does have butter in it and boiled for 2-3hrs...

pipilongstockng, Mar 1, 10:46am
Sorry all, computer a bit on the blink and haven't been able to reply before now.Thanks so much for your comments ........ looks like it could well be the salt ........ my friend does a bit of preserving, etc, and I don't doubt her cleanliness, etc in the process, and as she said, the whole lot was off.

lythande1, Mar 1, 6:11pm
The iodine can alter the colour of the food, that's all. Certainly doesn't affect taste or whether or not it goes off. I use iodised salt in everything, never had a problem with my preserves.

pipilongstockng, Mar 2, 2:13am
Hi there . I'm curious about something I was told the other night.My friend said that the preserving of last years tomatoes, into soup, ended up in disaster, as the soup went off.rancid was the word she used.She then said it was because she'd used iodised salt . is this correct ! . I didn't go any further and ask if the jars had 'dipped down',or if she had used butter, 2 things which I would have suspected, before, iodised salt.anyone able to enlighten me. thanks

pipilongstockng, Mar 2, 2:24am
oh thanks for that 245sam. she was so adamant (in a nice way!) that it was the salt, I didn't want to query it.I freeze my tomatoes too, and then make 'fresh' whatever I want, mid winter.I think things are nicer that way, and you're not slaving over the stove with everything, from the garden in summer.

36michelle, Mar 2, 5:00am
I make tomato sauce and the recipe specifically says 'non iodised' salt.I didnt know why.

jag5, Mar 2, 6:25am
Most of the recipes I use call for "Plain" salt.....not iodised.Plain is what I use for all my sauces etc....never have a problem,

cgvl, Mar 2, 7:29am
I've and my mum have had no problems doing tomato sauce using iodised salt.
BUT:
I do know that she has told me that only once did she try making tomato soup and spaghetti and both times they went off. Not sure why but I wanted to try to make some and she suggested that I freeze instead. Think it may be to do with the fact there is no preservative(such as vinegar) in the mix, rather than the salt.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 7:36am
I used to preserve whole tomatoes in boiling water with a teaspoon full of salt - and in those days it was pretty much all iodised. Never had a failure, which I put down to the high acid content of the fruit and the fact that I was scrupulous about cleanliness and sterility in processing. I've never preserved soup, but I would want to know what else was in there and the method before I put it down solely to iodine, though I don't doubt Michelle's report - I've just not come across it in my own experience.

korbo, Mar 2, 9:16am
I have made tomato soup for 25 odd years, same recipe that i put on here a few days,maybe a weekago. I always freeze it as bad hands wont screw the bands well.
I have never had any go off, but never use iodised salt. Have a special jar in the cupboard labeled pres salt, and that is used solely for that.
my mil also made bakedbeans and spag years ago, and they all ezploded.
my soup does have butter in it and boiled for 2-3hrs.

pipilongstockng, Mar 2, 10:46am
Sorry all, computer a bit on the blink and haven't been able to reply before now.Thanks so much for your comments . looks like it could well be the salt . my friend does a bit of preserving, etc, and I don't doubt her cleanliness, etc in the process, and as she said, the whole lot was off.

lythande1, Mar 2, 6:11pm
The iodine can alter the colour of the food, that's all. Certainly doesn't affect taste or whether or not it goes off. I use iodised salt in everything, never had a problem with my preserves.

jag5, Mar 3, 6:25am
Most of the recipes I use call for "Plain" salt.not iodised.Plain is what I use for all my sauces etc.never have a problem,