Tomato Soup help please

sooseque, May 8, 9:25am
I made tomato soup concentrate and froze it in ziplock bags, when reheating I defrosted slowly in pot with cold milk and heated them together, it has curdled/split, what is the best way to avoid this please

245sam, May 8, 10:01am
sooseque, hopefully the following will help you out... . .

From watching an elderly distant relative who is now in 24 hour care but was an extremely good and very experienced cook I learnt this "trick". This dear lady used to make tomato soup concentrate and preserve it in small jars then in pre-microwave days she would empty the soup into a saucepan, add the milk AND a tiny pinch of baking soda that I recall being told was to prevent the acid in the tomato soup from curdling the heated soup.

Another option/suggestion for you is that you try heating the soup and milk separately - no promises that that will work but it's what I've always done when heating canned soup that I've added milk instead of water to.

Hope these thoughts help. :-))

korbo, May 8, 10:44am
yes i would also suggest, thawing/heating the tomato soup with water, instead of milk, and adding just before serving. and with a blob of sour cream on top.

jessie981, May 9, 1:47am
add soup in the last minutes.

sooseque, May 10, 8:05am
Thanks for your suggestions, I will try them out

parsondian, May 6, 9:42am
I find it odd that milk is added to tomato soup, is this a kiwi thing or a canned tin thing?