Catering for a large crowd

pgta, Mar 24, 3:22am
Is there a rule of thumb for working out how much salad you might need for a large crowd, for example, 250gms per person for say potato salad?

Have about 50 people turning up on Saturday so just trying to work out how much I should need of each salad

kinna54, Mar 24, 3:36am
You got it pretty right, I would say, 250g is pretty good. Depends if you are having other salads as well.

juliewn, Mar 24, 11:52am
Hi.. if you put 'catering' into the left search function, then change 'last 24 hours' to 'anytime', then search, a range of catering threads will come up that have info about quantities, etc.. some are for 50 people..

toadfish, Mar 24, 5:01pm
250gms of potatoe salad would be way too much.thats a kilo between 4.

duckmoon, Mar 24, 8:19pm
I have a cook book where the recipes serve 50 people.
They suggest 3.5kg of potatoes, 250g onions, mayo, 500g of peas (I would use some gherkins instead); and 12 hard boiled eggs.

Also depends on what you are serving with it

pgta, Mar 25, 3:22am
Is there a rule of thumb for working out how much salad you might need for a large crowd, for example, 250gms per person for say potato salad!

Have about 50 people turning up on Saturday so just trying to work out how much I should need of each salad

juliewn, Mar 25, 11:52am
Hi. if you put 'catering' into the left search function, then change 'last 24 hours' to 'anytime', then search, a range of catering threads will come up that have info about quantities, etc. some are for 50 people.