Catering for 25-35 people

de-al, Jul 30, 10:18am
I'm doing a 2 course main & desserts dinner for 25-35 people & would appreciate any recipes or ideas on what I could do. There's limited heating or reheating facilities so will be using some crockpots, small oven, microwave & pie warmer. Thanks!

duckmoon, Jul 30, 11:04am
Good start to think about what applicance you have - and what you can borrow.

I would see if you could borrow one or two rice cookers (depending on size):
And serve a cassorole (in crockpot) with rice (in rice cooker), and veges - brocolloli and carrots hold together well.

duckmoon, Jul 30, 11:05am
Also, do you have access to a BBQ? ? ? Meat on the BBQ would be another way to cook ...

Or ham off the bone.

duckmoon, Jul 30, 11:06am
Desserts:
Things like pavolova, banoffee pie and Nigellas Chocolate Cherry Trifle are easy to prepare in advance

duckmoon, Jul 30, 11:06am
When I am cooking for 25 - I think "it is a meal for 8 people, times 3"... Feels less overhelming

duckmoon, Jul 30, 11:07am
If you want something that "looks a bit posh", but is easy to make in advantage - is a roast vege salad.

It means that folk are eating roast veges, but you don't need to keep them hot...

Roast the veges, and salad with a balsamic/oil dressing

griffo4, Jul 30, 10:26pm
duckmoon l was talking to de-al and she was looking at doing something in the crockpot with chicken any ideas?

She will be back on later with more answers/questions, kids sport

Also how would a vegetable type risotto go sitting in a rice cooker to keep warm?
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

blt10, Jul 30, 11:11pm
Hi duckmoon, any chance your vegetarian slice is posted somewhere?

duckmoon, Jul 31, 1:24am
http://www.bestrecipes.com. au/recipe/Vegetable-Slice-L1733. h
tml

duckmoon, Jul 31, 1:24am
#8, i don't cook risotto, so don't know the answer...

duckmoon, Jul 31, 1:26am
chicken drumsticks are always popular... again, it is something which you can cook in advance and serve cold...

or do them in the crockpot...

Personally, I would do something without bones in the crockpot - it means that you aren't loosing space to the bones.

cookessentials, Jul 31, 1:37am
The parties/weddings/gatherings thread on here has a heap of great ideas from nibbles to mains for crowds.

duckmoon, Jul 31, 1:41am
the last dinner I did for a crowd was:
Ham off the bone, roast vege salad, salad greens, bean salad (which comes out of three or four tins, plus a red onion), with rolls; and something for the vegetarians...

Dessert, banoffee pie, pav and choc cherry trifle(each to serve 8-10). NB: choc cherry trifle uses egg yollks, so matches well with a trifle

cookessentials, Jul 31, 1:42am
I have bumped it up for you.

cookessentials, Jul 31, 1:43am
from the thread

Tomato Lamb Curry For A Crowd Can be prepared up to two days before serving or it can be frozen. 3 boned-out legs of lamb (about 2kg each) 2 tbsp oil;4 cloves garlic, crushed;10 med onions, quartered;1 tbsp curry powder;3x400g cans tomatoes;3 tsp cornflour;2 tbsp water;90g blanched almonds;30g butter;3 tbsp chopped parsley. Trim away excess fat from lamb, cut into 2. 5cm cubes. Heat oil in a large pan, gradually add enough lamb to cover the base of the pan in a single layer, cook over high heat stirring till goldenbrown all over, remove from pan, repeat with remaining lamb until all is well browned cont... .

Quotebrianmac (133 )9:10 am, Tue 13 Mar #13
Itis important to fry the meat well. Add garlic, onions and curry powder to pan, stir constantly until onion is lightly browned. Add undrained crushed tomatoes. Stir until mixture boils. Combine all these ingredients in a lge pan, cover, simmer one hour or until meat is tender. Stir several times while cooking. Stir in blended cornflour and water, stir till mixture boils and thickens. cont... ...

Quotebrianmac (133 )9:14 am, Tue 13 Mar #14
cont... . Place almonds and butter in another pan, stir over heat until almonds are lightly browned. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve lamb sprinkled with almonds and parsley.

Quotebrianmac (133 )9:16 am, Tue 13 Mar #15

duckmoon, Jul 31, 5:22am
I have a recipe which is similar... my recipe says that the bacon is optional...

As you may have guessed, I am not a vegetarian; but last year, we had a vegetarian boarder who really like the recipe...

de-al, Aug 1, 3:58am
Thanks so much for your great ideas. It's greatly appreciated! !

griffo4, Aug 3, 1:22am
back to the front for any more ideas as it is a fundraising event

fisher, Aug 3, 1:32am
Don't forget the proverbial "electric frypan" as a useful appliance

de-al, Aug 3, 10:39am
Hi, yes forgot to mention its for a fundraising event so want it to be as cost effective as possible. Does anyone have any chicken recipes which are inexpensive to make please?

de-al, Aug 3, 10:41am
Thanks for this idea. Not sure where I can source one from though without having to buy it. I'll work on that one.

de-al, Aug 3, 10:44am
Looking to cook about 3 cups of rice in a crockpot or slow cooker. Does anyone have any idea how long it may take? In a recipe book I have, its says 1 hour for 1 cup & add 10-15mins when doubling. Would it then be 1 1/2hrs for 3 cups? Also does the rice turn out OK in a crockpot/slow cooker?

duckmoon, Dec 23, 8:43pm
have you got a copy of Alison Holst's crockpot cook book...

If time is an issue, then a rice cooker would be a quick and simple way of doing it...