BBQ dinner catering for 40-50 people

Page 1 / 2
rosel4, Jun 19, 11:20am
Creamy Cole Slaw

This makes 8 servings but you can multiply the amounts accordingly - andalso add in other things to stretch it.

1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, finely shredded
3/4 cup best-quality mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons grated Spanish onion
2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons celery salt
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Whisk
together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard,
celery salt, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, and then add to the
cabbage mixture. Mix well to combine and taste for seasoning; add more
salt, pepper, or sugar if desired.

beaker59, Jun 19, 10:36pm
Now that is a new to me and very useful tip :)

beaker59, Jun 19, 10:51pm
We regularly do big family dinners of 50 or so and always use the weber and a large roast sometimes a roast in the webber one in the oven and a butterflied lamb on the gas BBQ. Beauty of the Webber is very little attention is needed. I make coleslaw and potato salad day before and use the daughters to provide salad prep labour on the day, my Wife does dessert usually day before.

akjg, Nov 12, 6:03am
Tips and ideas on what to make to feed approx 20 adults and 20 kids please! Having a gathering at home in a couple of weeks and want stuff that can be prepared earlier in the day so we're not stuck in the kitchen. Was thinking of a big ham, not sure what to cook on BBQ that feeds lots.sausages, kebabs! Salads, was thinking coleslaw, potato salad, lettuce and maybe a big basket of bread rolls. Will need some nibble platters for before dinner and have no idea on desert! TIA :)

duckmoon, Nov 12, 6:07am
Borrow a BBQ from a neighbor or two. So you have lots of surface area to cook on.

Gourmet sausages are enjoyed at our functions
We also cook butterflied legs o f lamb on the BBQ, they cook in about 30-40 mins. But self manage. Sliced careful, they feed more people than an equavilant amount of steak.

duckmoon, Nov 12, 6:08am
Salads. Potato salad is great made the day before ( and refrigerate).

Roast vege salad is always popular

duckmoon, Nov 12, 6:09am
Pav is simple for dessert.

Or serve ice cream in a cone for the kids, and when they have finished serve an adult dessert twenty mnutes later. Means you are aiming for dessert for twenty, not forty

duckmoon, Nov 12, 6:10am
Rich chocolate cake, can be made now and frozen.
Serve with defrosted raspberries

akjg, Nov 12, 6:16am
thanks duckmoon, can I hire you, lol. You sound like you've catered this kind of thing before! Great ideas, will try and find some butterflied lamb, where do you get yours from! Great idea on the kids icecreams, added that to my list. I'm not too good with pavlova, mite ask Mum to make that hehe

duckmoon, Nov 13, 6:07am
Ham off the bone is always popular and are simple.
Serve with some nice chutneys

tarshlove, Nov 14, 1:02am
Sausages and some chicken nibble or cold chicken shredded as they can have this by its self or add to a lettuce salad. Lettuce salad, pasta or potato salad too!

suie1, Nov 14, 2:03am
Choc Eclaires make in advance fill with cream & freeze a couple of hours before you want to serve them bring them out of the freezer & drizzle with melted chocolate it will quickly you can then set them aside to thaw in time for desert, always a winner. Meringues are great & can also be frozen or stored in an airtight container for a few days.

patlarkins, Nov 14, 2:05am
I read a great tip the other day about cooking sweetcorn for a large group (20+ people). maybe not quite the season yet, but I'm sure someone will find it helpful.
Anyway, de-husk the corn and cut in half (or however you'd normally prepare it). To cook the corn for a group, put it all in to a chillybin and cover with boiling water - close the lid and wait for half an hour. The corn will be perfectly steamed with minimal fuss.

iriegirl, Nov 14, 3:03am
An easy and relatively cheap idea for the kids is to make kebabs using precooked sausages and cherry tomatoes and maybe some cubes of pineapple. They look fun and the kids love them! have also done desert kebabs for the kids using marshmellows and fruit (banana, mandarin, strawberries etc) and have some chocolate sauce on the side. Easy!

duckmoon, Nov 14, 5:25am
I get mine from the butcher. Or if inwellington, then moore wilsons

moggie57, Nov 14, 8:21am
ohh.i like the idea of the kids kebabs.
I would have >>>>
platter of crackers / dried fruits / cheeses/ carrot & celery sticks / dipsetc

For the BBQ>>
prawn kebabs
sausages
chops
meat patties
chicken nibbles

For dessert>>>
fruit kebabs & youghurt to dip
choc cake
pav

keep things simple .buns & garlic bread

ohhh forgot the extras.spuds / tossed lettuce salad / rice or pasta salad

have a cool time!:)

suie1, Nov 15, 2:03am
Choc Eclaires make in advance fill with cream & freeze a couple of hours before you want to serve them bring them out of the freezer & drizzle with melted chocolate it will quickly you can then set them aside to thaw in time for desert, always a winner. Meringues are great & can also be frozen or stored in an airtight container for a few days.

Shame you are not in Ch Ch I make these by the hundreds & would have been happy to help :)

zellas, Nov 29, 1:47am
I'm bumping this and adding a question:
I want to cater for about 50 people,(30 adults, 20 kids). Keeping it really basic - sausages, patties, bread, marg, sauce, onions, coleslaw (in bags), dressing.Any ideas on quantities!

Cheers!

cgvl, Nov 29, 2:03am
for that number we do BYO meat and we make salads and desert.
Do the ice cream in the square bottom cones the day or two before and freeze them, can dip in choc or hundreds and thousands. Do a few extra as some adults like them too.
Use the chipolata's or breakfast sausages then no need to pre cook .allow 2 per person.
Bacon is always popular so would do a kg of it.
Meat patties . would allow at least 1 per child and maybe 2 per adult depending on how much other meat there is.
I do chicken nibbles in the oven (marinated) so I know they are properly cooked, a couple per adult.
Unless you know the kiddies will eat tomatoes I wouldn't bother with the kebab idea, but its great for dessert (marshmallows and strawberries).
Salads, potato x2, lettuce x2, coleslaw x1, bean x1, rice x1, and pasta x1. could do a roast vege and/or kumara as well. do sliced or whole baby tomatoes, same with cucumber, cheese can be done in cubes all in seperate bowls, same with beetroot and chopped eggs, add a carrot slaw too for colour.
Dessert's choc cake or a nice carrot cake with whipped cream (or whipped cream with a nice fruit yoghurt stirred through) on the side, an ambrosia, platters of fresh fruit and cheese to finish with go down well in our house too

akjg, Nov 29, 2:40am
That's exactly what our numbers were for the weekend just gone. We had a 5kg ham on the bone, 50 pre-cook sausages, 3kg chicken nibbles. Coleslaw was half green cabbage, half red cabbage, 2 carrots. I did 2x pasta salads, each with one 500gm bag of pasta. Lettuce salad was one iceberg, few extra fancy leaves from garden, one cucumber, 5 tomatos. Todafish's brown rice salad, I did 2 cups of rice. Potato salad, would've been maybe 3kg of potatoes. Also grabbed 60 bread rolls from Countdown. Those quantities seemed to work well for our group. Kids had icecream in cones for dessert and adults had fruit skewers drizzled in chocolate. For pre-dinner nibbles I did 2x cobb loaves, few bags of chips, dips, couple packs of crackers and pate. I cooked all the salad bases on the Friday and stored in icecream containers in the fridge. Made a list of other ingredients and dressings to be added to salads and when helpers arrived I pointed them in the direction of the menu list and they could help out without having to ask too many questions.

shiyo, Nov 29, 7:56am
carrot salad can be made a couple days before, it is much nicer then

duckmoon, Nov 29, 8:38am
Butcher

theanimal1, Dec 1, 7:48am
To keep costs down, buy 2x cabbage and six biggish carrots and some mayo and make your own coleslaw, those bagged ones are not as cheap as you think .

liamjosh, Dec 1, 8:08pm
I would go with a rich chocolate cake like someone else has suggested or a choc brownie which can be made the day before, served with thickened cream and a berry sauce.

hollypc, Dec 3, 4:07am
another way is to do butterfly lamb, an a big rump an couple of beer can chickens, as then you just put them in bbq , salads an spuds already done, an no one has to slave over the bbq.We have a webber bbq to which does lovely roast if you can find one to borrow do. just season meat , have sauce to match meat . an a big basket of buns.