Gluten Free Recipes

Page 4 / 46
herika, Oct 21, 8:17pm
Stir fry meals are quick and easy. For variety you can use different combinations of vegetables. Use fresh herbs for flavouring and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. If you want to flavour it with a soy sauce:Braggs Soy sauce is gluten free and made with non GMO soy beans. It has no alcohol, additives or preservatives in it, only soy beans and purified water. Serve with rice or rice stick noodles or GF pasta. If you want it to be more like Chop Suey, for a change, add gf liquid stock (homemade is best) anduse maize cornflour to thicken the sauce.

frances1266, Oct 21, 8:27pm
I have tried the Burgen bread with linseed in it. Didnt care for it as it seemed to me to taste of stale flaxseed. Flaxseed can go off very quickly and is very unpleasant but it may be my tastebuds at fault here.
Has anyone else found this problem with the linseed variety. I havent tried the other versions but hope they are better.
I tried the Lievito g/f bread and it was very good. It is made in Otago but they do deliver around the country. Am hoping the supermarkets will start stocking it.

zub26, Oct 22, 12:26am
THANK YOU! ! ! ! ! !
This is much better and helpful

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 12:51am
That's better... ... Have tried the Burgen White and it toasted very well , fine ... . . tried it as a sandwich ... . . not so good , a bit hard to swallow... ... tried it in sandwich maker very sweaty on uncooked side ... ... . am trying the Fruity one next for toasting... and the Linseed... . . isn't it great to be finding more foods that suit us on the shelves... .
nice to see some recipes from herika too... . . as many havesaid we all have to be responsible for ourselves and be aware of what suits us and what doesn't... . . will add these ones to my melford recipes to try ... thanks all.

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 12:56am
Can't remember if I've sent this one ... . . G/F sausages are sometimestoo dense and a bit yucky cooked the ordinary way... . I am now pricking them all over putting in casserole a little finly chopped onion then mixing up a vegetable G/Fsoup and putting over them in a casserole . . the sausage puff up and are tender... ... so nice my non g/intolerant non/coeliac husband prefers them to his ordinary ones... . mind you our butcher makes a mean G/F pork sausage... and also does G/F sausage meat so I can now make our favourite meat loaf again... ... it is worth asking.

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 12:58am
sorry missing the odd letter here and there I meant finely andthat sausages puff up... . . senior miments... HaHa!

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 1:00am
and there I go again moments ... . Duh !

pommyjohn1, Oct 22, 1:09am
Madzwhippet
How long did you cook your sausage casserole for?

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 1:18am
I prefer to do it slowly at 160C for about1 and a half hours... ... gives me time to get veges ready for steaming andhave a wee sit down too... ... Have done this with Hellers Steak and Onion G/F sausages and also with our Main Street Butcher's Temuka G/F Irish pork sausages... am planning to try out a Sweet and Sour version when I work it out... ... . .

melford, Oct 22, 1:29am
Delicious Salmon Steaks. Marinade them in this for 5 minutes minimum
3 tbsp freshly sqeezed lime juice
1 tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
1 chopped fresh clove garlic
1 tbsp Watties Gluten Free Bit on the side Sweet Chilli Sauce
Few sprinkles coarse salt

Now pan fry for approximately 2-3 minutes Serve with salad and a baked potato

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 1:30am
Thanks for asking Pommyjohn1... ... my recipe for meat loaf is 4 to 500 grams good mince, 4 to 500 grams Sausage meat ... ... if h your butcher makes his own he will make up packets for you otherwise skin some G/F sausages under a running cold tap and use... ... mix the meats... ... mix the meats, break in 2 eggsand a cup of G/F bread crumbs, a2 tsps chciken or other G/F stock... ... . . put about half a cup of dried veges in a cup and top with boiling waterand when swollen up mix into meat mixture... ... I used to steam this mix in a pudding basin in a sauspan of boiling water . . now I bake it in a cover casserole... ... ... very nice hot as part of a meal with spuds and veges ... also tasty cut in a slice cold like a piece of cake... ... I cook it for 1 to 1 and a half hours at 180 C... . depend on how hot your oven cooks and if you have fan assisted or not... ... . .

madzwhippet, Oct 22, 1:34am
Oh Help ! I am getting worse at this typing lark... ... please skip the odd extra letters and phrase or missing ones , change chcken to chicken... going now to rest fingers and brain ... ... .

melford, Oct 22, 4:02am
thanks for the sausage recipe and a good tip re buying the sausage meat. pommyjohn - found some burgen bread today (the fruit one) love it, thanks for that too

cathnjim, Oct 22, 6:35am
I use gf sausages for curry. Heat 1 dessertspoon each of oil and white vinegar. Add 1 dessertspoon of curry and fry for a minute or two. Add chopped onion about 6 - 8 cut up gf sausages. i add about 1/2 cup water and let this mixture simmer away for about 15 - 20 minutes. If it is too runny you can thicken with your own thickener, if too dry add more water during cooking. Serve on rice. Kids love it.

oscarnz, Oct 22, 10:18pm
madzwhippet - are you aware that you can now edit your posts and correct the errors that you spot?

All these recipes look yum, I'll have to try them.

madzwhippet, Oct 23, 5:42am
Thanks oscarnz will try that... . .

gaspodetwd, Oct 23, 5:55am
cathnjim - which GF sausages do you use? We can't find any that don't make my two ill? And what sort of curry? Ditto. We have tried blackball sausages, hellers, Ashby's and another fancy variety. We have also tried various independent butchers. All seem contaminated as tehy give a gluten reaction. Which do you have?

cathnjim, Oct 23, 7:02am
Hi gaspodetwd, i use the hellers gf sausages. There is not a lot of variety out there is there. Sometimes they upset me too, but I only have them occassinally. I see they have soy in them, could that be a problem as well for you, as soy is quite hard to digest. As for the curry I use Brindavin medium curry powder. Just contains coriander, tumeric, cumin, chilli and fenugreek.

cathnjim, Oct 24, 2:59am
How about this one. It's an old one I would make in a loaf tin.
Lemon tea cake
1 1/2 cups of gf flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp of baking powder (remember if using self raising flour you might not need baking powder)
1/4 tsp salt
125grams butter or margarine
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk
grated lemon rind
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
Rub is butter with fingertips.
Mix the beaten eggs and milk together
Stir egg and milk mixture into the flour mix.
Gold in lemon ring and walnuts (I'm going to make this right now with pecans)
Pour mixture into greased tine and bake until fir to touch on 180 for about 50mins.
To pour over once cooked
Juice of 1 lemon and 1/4 cup sugar
Mix together and when cake is cooked spoon the mixture over the top. Allow to cool in pan.
I was going to make it, but I have a roast in the oven at this point in time.

jubre, Oct 29, 3:46am
bump.

melford, Oct 29, 4:40am
Gluten Free Christmas Cake - Lovely cake and moist

850g dried mixed fruit
1 cup brandy
150g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup gluten-free plain flour
1/4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup apricot jam
Method
Place dried fruit and 2/3 cup brandy in a large airtight container. Mix well. Cover and stand overnight or preferably for 1 week, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a 7cm deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with double layers brown paper and baking paper . Using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift flours and spices over butter mixture. Add fruit mixture and stir until well combined. Press mixture into pan. Smooth surface. Decorate top with almonds.
Bake cake for 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Pour remaining 1/3 cup brandy over hot cake. Allow to cool completely in pan.
Place jam in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until warm. Remove cake from pan and brush top with warm jam. Allow to set. Serve.

cathnjim, Oct 31, 11:55pm
That sounds yum Melford. Back to Burgen bread. Not too great, the white loaf is too sweet and not suitable for a savoury spread. Despite the quote on the bag, it doesn't make a good sandwich.

madzwhippet, Nov 1, 12:01am
The white onedoes however have good texture toasted... ... the linseed meal loaf is o. k. toasted andexcellent for constipation... say a couple of times a week . . we thought the fruit loaf was a bit blah !

cathnjim, Nov 1, 2:21am
I think that is it with any gf bread. better toasted.

zub26, Nov 2, 11:53pm
For a really good gluten free sausage i would recommend Opawa butchery which is organic as well but slightly more expensive, we've had no probs with these.